• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Third Most Heard Pennsylvania AMer?

schmave said:
radioman148 said:
schmave said:
That's my thinking. There are a lot of 50Ks where people say on here that it blasts into their location. I don't think I've ever once read a post saying that for KDKA. I've even seen people in the Pittsburgh area commenting on here about the signal deficiencies.

I wonder why KDKA's signal doesn't seem up to par with the other 50KWs?

Locally I'm sure it has something to do with the terrible ground conductivity. I saw a post elsewhere reporting that KDKA's cancellation zone is a mere 40-50 miles from their tower, which is pretty pathetic.
Skywave-wise, I have no idea. It reminds me of WLS, but again I see a lot more reports of good reception of WLS than I ever have of KDKA.

The WLS situation is strange because years ago they had the best skywave of any of the Chicago 50KWs.
KDKA's skywave at least for me has always seemed substandard.

radioman148 said:
I wonder why KDKA's signal doesn't seem up to par with the other 50KWs?

Locally I'm sure it has something to do with the terrible ground conductivity. I saw a post elsewhere reporting that KDKA's cancellation zone is a mere 40-50 miles from their tower, which is pretty pathetic. Skywave-wise, I have no idea. It reminds me of WLS, but again I see a lot more reports of good reception of WLS than I ever have of KDKA.
[/quote]

KDKA's skywave at least for me has always seemed substandard.
[/quote]

According to this article, KDKA has a 720' sectionalized tower: http://www.oldradio.com/archives/stations/ccs/kdka.htm Many engineers do not favor sectionalized towers and would prefer a half- or possibly a 5/8-wavelength tower. According to the FCC estimated ground conductivity map, the part of western PA that KDKA's stick is located is rated a 4, while the Chicago area is a 8. Compare both to WNAX land in SE South Dakota, they are at 35. And Philly is no better than Pgh. at a ground conductivity of 4. See FCC map for ground conductivity: http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/m3/index.html

So KYW may be received better at your location if you are in or near their main lobe (as more power is radiated your way) and they are only DA of the three major 50kW stations. KDKA has the least co-channel interference, followed by WPHT, and KYW has the most. KDKA does not seem to have a consistent skywave signal, and that may be due to the use of the sectionalized tower. Does anyone in the Pittsburgh area think that KDKA's groundwave signal is improved by use of the sectionalized tower? IBOC is another problem altogether, and in that respect, at least in No. IL, kYW suffers the least from the digital hash.

I'm originally from New Jersey and WCAU's (now WPHT's) transmitter was only a couple of miles away. I think it's in Maple Shade, NJ.

Anyway, down here in Tampa, WPHT is a regular nighttimer and usually has an OK signal. KYW used to be pretty much a regular when I moved down here 25 years ago but now I can only hear it once in a great while and even so, it's still covered by some Spanish station and the 1060 religious station from New Orleans.

gar fla said:
I'm originally from New Jersey and WCAU's (now WPHT's) transmitter was only a couple of miles away. I think it's in Maple Shade, NJ.

Anyway, down here in Tampa, WPHT is a regular nighttimer and usually has an OK signal. KYW used to be pretty much a regular when I moved down here 25 years ago but now I can only hear it once in a great while and even so, it's still covered by some Spanish station and the 1060 religious station from New Orleans.

I think KYWs directional pattern isn't as favorable to Florida.

radioman148 said:
gar fla said:

I think KYWs directional pattern isn't as favorable to Florida.

The current DA pattern for KYW has been in operation since 1949. http://www.oldradio.com/archives/stations/tsp/WSUN-WFLA.pdf

My Folks live in north-central Florida. Sunset might be the best time to hear KYW there. I was using a GE SR II several years back and caught them a few times. (The wife is from just outside Philadelphia and got homesick! On vacation?!? LOL).

KYW didn't seem to be given too many problems by Mexico or New Orleans.

That *is* Mexico we hear up in these parts (NE PA) under KYW, right? Whatever it is never identifies, and sounds as though they're not concerned with the processing. It doesn't seem to have any punch to it.

Steve, during my first year of college back in 80-81, I was up in Bethlehem, Pa and I'll never forget the unusual nighttime AM catch I had.

Being that the Philly signals were about 50 miles away, I thought I would try to see what else I could get on those frequencies. On 610, I was able to turn the radio just right and to my surprise, I heard WIOD from Miami one night and when WIP was nulled out in the right position, WIOD ruled the frequency. Another catch I once got was in the late 80s when I was visiting my parents up in south Jersey after I had already moved down here to Florida. It was around sunset on a winter evening and for a very short time, I got the then WRBQ AM Stereo 1380 from Tampa.
It suddenly vanished and what I think happened is that they were still on their daytime directional mode when I heard it. With their nighttime direction, I could hardly get their signal when I used to live in the northeast part of Tampa.

I never live near either city, but it but it always amazed me that Philly & NYC had several stations next to each other on AM with power but directional enough to not be too much of a nuisance.
I wonder what it was like for people living in central NJ listening between 610/620, 560/570, 1050/1060?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom