• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Yotes on 9~Ten (again)

It's only a problem for those who live south of Elliot Rd. -- basically Ahwatukee, Chandler, and Gilbert, and anyone who commutes on the 202 Santan or I-10 south of the towers. At least there's no longer an issue with IBOC hash from KNX like there used to be.

910 and 1580 have bigger problems with their night signals than 1060 does. 910 has a null towards parts of Scottsdale and Mesa (where the hockey fans are), while 1580 might as well be off the air at night. If they don't fix/relocate those translators, or build a couple more, they're toast.

And if the Coyotes are on 910 for the 2020-21 season, switching that 93.7 translator from 1230 to 910 will be a big help (since one of 93.7's directional lobes points toward Scottsdale and Mesa). I'm certain iHeart is not making money with "El Patron."

It's only a problem for those who live south of Elliot Rd. -- basically Ahwatukee, Chandler, and Gilbert, and anyone who commutes on the 202 Santan or I-10 south of the towers. At least there's no longer an issue with IBOC hash from KNX like there used to be.

Actually I think KNX still has their HD carrier on. I was just in LA 2 weeks ago and had an HD AM signal lock on KNX 1070 driving around the Southland into San Diego. Sometimes my car radio here in East Mesa will lock on the KNX 1070 signal too. 1060 is still unlistenable at night in east Gilbert and Mesa.

And if the Coyotes are on 910 for the 2020-21 season, switching that 93.7 translator from 1230 to 910 will be a big help (since one of 93.7's directional lobes points toward Scottsdale and Mesa). I'm certain iHeart is not making money with "El Patron."

It's a disadvantage for any station targeting listeners under 70 to be "AM only" (or "AM with HD2/3 simulcast") in this day and age. That's why I'm surprised iHeart's investing into local programming at 910.

Indeed they do. I locked it 2 days ago in the car while in the Goodyear area on I-10.

Last time I checked it was a couple weeks ago at around 6 AM. If it wasn't off, its power is now so low that it doesn't affect 1060 and 1080 in the SE valley.

It's a disadvantage for any station targeting listeners under 70 to be "AM only" (or "AM with HD2/3 simulcast") in this day and age. That's why I'm surprised iHeart's investing into local programming at 910.

Very strange move, given I ♥'s penchant for running everything on the cheap. Without FM exposure, what's the point? Being the home of the Yotes is not exactly a game changer.

Very strange move, given I ♥'s penchant for running everything on the cheap. Without FM exposure, what's the point? Being the home of the Yotes is not exactly a game changer.

It's not a big investment. They're just moving two current local shows around, hiring a new drive time guy, and cashing the check given to them by "The Valley's longest running sports talk duo with dedicated studios inside car dealerships."

But as they've said in their press release, the broadcast signal is not the main reason the Yotes signed with them.

They have seen the future and it's not ancient modulation.

Good point. Apps and smart speakers are the future of listening. That's how I got the ASU game last night.

Last time I checked it was a couple weeks ago at around 6 AM. If it wasn't off, its power is now so low that it doesn't affect 1060 and 1080 in the SE valley.

Just checked it. No IBOC hash from KNX on either 1060 or 1080. KDUS comes in rather well in NE Mesa, as does KNX. Even indoors, where my stucco-encrusted house is a 20 dB attenuator on the Ancient Modulation band.

Speaking of the Yotes, a new opportunity just appeared for them on KGME:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/ent...-show-move-kdus-am-fox-sports-910/2156091001/

So in the thread that contained that linked article, I made the following prediction, based on the information that The Drive will replace Dan Patrick in mornings:

It'll be Jody's job to recap the previous night's game, so those who couldn't hear the live pbp can hear hosted highlights in the morning Drive. If I had anything to say about it, those hosted vignettes would then be available on the station's app. Those at the game might see video of Jody on the screen telling them to tune in tomorrow morning for highlights and player interviews. I would also rebrand the station (once again) to better represent the new image. The bad news, as the linked article states, is that Jody will be going head to head with Patrick.

The thing to know is there are likely meetings going on now with KGME's PD, marketing director, sales director, and the Coyotes marketing director to find as many ways as possible to use radio to promote the team, and the team to promote radio, and all of it will be sponsored. This is something you really only can do with a sports team contract. It's also why even if the Coyotes don't help ratings, the station will make more money.

Last edited:
Speaking of the Yotes, a new opportunity just appeared for them on KGME:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/ent...-show-move-kdus-am-fox-sports-910/2156091001/

So in the thread that contained that linked article, I made the following prediction, based on the information that The Drive will replace Dan Patrick in mornings:

It'll be Jody's job to recap the previous night's game, so those who couldn't hear the live pbp can hear hosted highlights in the morning Drive. If I had anything to say about it, those hosted vignettes would then be available on the station's app. Those at the game might see video of Jody on the screen telling them to tune in tomorrow morning for highlights and player interviews. I would also rebrand the station (once again) to better represent the new image. The bad news, as the linked article states, is that Jody will be going head to head with Patrick.

The thing to know is there are likely meetings going on now with KGME's PD, marketing director, sales director, and the Coyotes marketing director to find as many ways as possible to use radio to promote the team, and the team to promote radio, and all of it will be sponsored. This is something you really only can do with a sports team contract. It's also why even if the Coyotes don't help ratings, the station will make more money.

Even with all this investment by Clear Channel, we have to remember that this is solely an AM station and the only way to listen to KGME is via the IHeart Radio App or traditional AM radio. KGME needs to get an FM translator ASAP. 93.7 would be the obvious choice since their signal covers the east valley well where KGME severely lacks at night. Heck, even an HD subchannel would be nice on KMXP, KZZP, KESZ or KYOT!

Just checked it. No IBOC hash from KNX on either 1060 or 1080. KDUS comes in rather well in NE Mesa, as does KNX. Even indoors, where my stucco-encrusted house is a 20 dB attenuator on the Ancient Modulation band.

KDUS still comes in bad where I live in Gilbert, but their night-time pattern does favor all areas north of Baseline Road including northeast Mesa. I think everyone in Chandler, Gilbert and southeast Mesa will have trouble picking up KDUS, with or without KNX HD splatter.

Even with all this investment by Clear Channel, we have to remember that this is solely an AM station and the only way to listen to KGME is via the IHeart Radio App or traditional AM radio.

That's OK. If you look around the country, there are similar AM only stations that are primarily promotion tools for sports teams and they make a lot of money.

I’m glad your reception has improved. I checked just now, and KNX’s HD transmitter is still on and broadcasting.

Just checked again, myself. Nothing on 1060 but KDUS and nothing on 1080 but KRLD. KNX's signal strength is about the same as KRLD's but less than KDUS's.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom