• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Winners and the Losers in NWA Ratings

Here are the big winners in the new Sp '13 ratings based off A25-54:

Winners
KIX 104 continues to run away from the pack with an 11.6 up 1.5 shares.
FM 101.5 Classic Hits was the big mover up 2.2 shares from a .5 to a 2.7 in their 2nd book. Looks like they are on to something especially when you see Magic and Variety both losing shares.
Rock came back this book with both Classic's 93.3 the Eagle (up 1.4 shares) and the Keg (up 1.2 shares) and Alternative Rocker the X jumping up 1.2 shares.

Losers
The big loser was Magic 107.9, you can tell that FM 101.5 is stealing listeners as they fell 2.5 shares from a 5.9 to a 3.4.
Variety 106.5 also looks to have lost some listeners to Classic Hits as they fell 1.2 shares from a 1.9 to a .7.
92.1 the Ticket is feeling the loss of ESPN as they came back to reality from a 2.7 to a 1.7.

RadioPhile said:
Here are the big winners in the new Sp '13 ratings based off A25-54:

Winners
KIX 104 continues to run away from the pack with an 11.6 up 1.5 shares.
FM 101.5 Classic Hits was the big mover up 2.2 shares from a .5 to a 2.7 in their 2nd book. Looks like they are on to something especially when you see Magic and Variety both losing shares.
Rock came back this book with both Classic's 93.3 the Eagle (up 1.4 shares) and the Keg (up 1.2 shares) and Alternative Rocker the X jumping up 1.2 shares.

Losers
The big loser was Magic 107.9, you can tell that FM 101.5 is stealing listeners as they fell 2.5 shares from a 5.9 to a 3.4.
Variety 106.5 also looks to have lost some listeners to Classic Hits as they fell 1.2 shares from a 1.9 to a .7.
92.1 the Ticket is feeling the loss of ESPN as they came back to reality from a 2.7 to a 1.7.

Here's my take. Remember I'm just a critical listener and I'm not in the radio business.

KIX 104 is no surprise. There's a lot of people in NWA whose radio 'sticks to KIX'. 101.5 is no big surprise to me, either, but I think that they could do even better if they went to a purist Classic Rock format (like 103.3 in Tulsa used to be) instead of Classic Hits and took 93.3 the Eagle head on.

As for The Eagle, The Keg, and The X, I'm pretty burnt out on all three currently and find myself tuning to 101.5, but then I tune back to one of the others once they start playing Disco, which, at least, is less often than it used to be.

You say that Magic 107.9 is losing shares to 101.5, but you leave out that there's also 94.9 that they compete with. I'd say that 94.9 is their main competitor, not 101.5.

As for Variety 106.5, what you say is true and they are on to it, too, but their format isn't Classic Hits, of course. Here lately I've heard more Classic Country and Oldies on that station than ever before as they try to find listeners.

In reference to 92.1, I'm biased against Sports Talk completely and wish that they'd just change to something else. Anything else. lol

You say that Magic 107.9 is losing shares to 101.5, but you leave out that there's also 94.9 that they compete with. I'd say that 94.9 is their main competitor, not 101.5.

[/quote]
I would agree that Warm should be considered a competitor of Magic's but the reason I left them out is they were down in the ratings and show no significant presence in the market based on them. Logic tells me they should be competing but then again other than Power and occasionally Keg the Cumulus properties seem to always be floundering.

Based on 101.5's playlist I still consider them Magic's biggest competitor and Arbitron seems to agree with me.

It jsut goes to show you that poeple don't want to hear the same Top 40 songs over and over again. Maybe 101.5 will make Cumulus and CC wake up and realize they have to be creative to win. NAAHH, won't happen.

Classic Hits had gone off the rails with deep cuts and a library so large most wouldn't recognize at least one song in the average quarter hour. A new PD and some housecleaning has led to a station that actually plays classic HITS and the station is in a good position to make some waves in the market. Good on them.

Cumulus should have kept KRUZ. What did Y normally bring in, a 4 or 5 share? Why flip it to a great format like Kruz and keep it for only a year, then flip back and start all over with the same Y format? Particularly with Magic's strong signal and heritage and 94.9's sketchy signal, it would make more sense to me to have a less traditional format on 94.9.

RadioHoor said:
Cumulus should have kept KRUZ. What did Y normally bring in, a 4 or 5 share? Why flip it to a great format like Kruz and keep it for only a year, then flip back and start all over with the same Y format? Particularly with Magic's strong signal and heritage and 94.9's sketchy signal, it would make more sense to me to have a less traditional format on 94.9.
Kidd Kraddick seemed to be the only real draw for Warm 94.9. With the death of Kidd, I wonder how long Cumulus will keep the show and/or the format. I would also love to see them go back to the AAA flavored Hot AC format that "Kruz" offered, but I doubt it will happen.

RadioPhile said:

I wouldn't read too much into that yet. Keep in mind this latest book is after the Petrino Scandal of Spring 2012 and the John L. Smith disaster of Fall 2012. Fall books are generally better for sports stations, but last spring was an exception with so much off-season drama.
Hog Sports Radio is still pretty flat.

There is a new guy in NWA who seems to know news talk and sports from behind the console and off air. His resume doesn't look like much. But after interviewing him... He could replace me as a PD/OM.
Hope somebody has some guts to give him a try. Good talent is a bad thing to waste. Too bad we're on a hiring freeze.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom