• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Takeaway Has Been Canceled

The daily news magazine The Takeaway has been canceled by WNYC Studios and PRX. It's host is upset:

But this show is clouded in controversy, first from ex-host John Hockenberry and later from Tanzina Vega. Also, WNYC's alternative to Morning Edition, really wasn't such if it wasn't getting the high ratings that ME usually gets.

But this show is clouded in controversy, first from ex-host John Hockenberry and later from Tanzina Vega. Also, WNYC's alternative to Morning Edition, really wasn't such if it wasn't getting the high ratings that ME usually gets.

There seems to be a lot of controversy at WNYC.

The show was originally intended to be an alternative/addendum to Morning Edition. It originally fed live at 6am and 8am ET, so it might have made sense to air the Takeaway after Morning Edition. But they moved the live feed to mid-days (noon ET) years ago. Looks like it was fall of 2012, around the same time Talk of the Nation ended.

For the most part, The Takeaway never had a chance to earn high ratings, because carriage has been limited. I don't think it ever aired in any time slot in Chicago or LA or San Francisco.

KPCC runs it at night. Correct about the other two.

Ooooof. Not the best for a Morning Edition alternative when its aired... at night.

Ooooof. Not the best for a Morning Edition alternative when its aired... at night.
Yep, except as noted above it ceased being a ME alternative in 2012 as it now airs live at noon ET. But your point remains the same, still not great to have a noon ET show run at 9 pm PT.

The show was originally intended to be an alternative/addendum to Morning Edition. It originally fed live at 6am and 8am ET, so it might have made sense to air the Takeaway after Morning Edition. But they moved the live feed to mid-days (noon ET) years ago. Looks like it was fall of 2012, around the same time Talk of the Nation ended.

For the most part, The Takeaway never had a chance to earn high ratings, because carriage has been limited. I don't think it ever aired in any time slot in Chicago or LA or San Francisco.
Some Cities may air Here and Now by NPR and WBUR-FM Boston in place of "The TakeAway" but then again some NPR affiliates at non drive time goes to Local, PRX or APM programming. As far I am aware this show "The Takeaway" is not a must have as Morning edition, NPR News Updates and All Things Considered are.

The Takeaway was on WKSU prior to that station’s takeover by Ideastream and “merger” into WCPN last March, when that station’s local newsmagazine The Sound of Ideas took Takeaway’s slot on the schedule (The Takeaway was moved to WKSU-HD4).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom