• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Screaming Preacher On AM 1140...

This isn't the great signal and I've heard better from Laramie WY.. but this is "the screaming preacher" on KHFX 1140 Cleburne, TX... hes ALWAYS this loud whenever I hear him at night on KHFX.

Wed Sp 2 at 806pm mountain Audio:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qf5MY0RQ1l0ktkwdBghx-mwXJoBRmN5s/view?usp=sharing

Here's another clip of him from late august at my locaiton:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Z0l15Rh8vI4f0I6DXPnlLZ71nLTx4Sx-/view?usp=sharing

Reminds me of some of the stuff I used to hear on XERF leading up to midnight before Wolfman came on! I may never hear the guy around here, however. 1140 at night is usually all WRVA.

These guys used to be (and sometimes still are) on AM and FM stations across the dial. We had particular one at my first station. A half hour where pretty much you heard distorted, unintelligible screaming punctuated by what sounded like a dog barking.

I remember a "screaming preacher" on WMUZ-FM 103.5 in Detroit on Sunday Nights. The peaks were flat with the limiter and other processing. I had a Panasonic portable and a ten element FM antenna (an FM-10). In Central Genesee County, between the high gain FM antenna, the screamer, and the Panasonic portable not having good IF rejection, though excellent in other ways besides the IF and RITOIE, the screamer mixed with WDZZ 92.7 in Genesee County, and the screamer could be heard all over the dial. At first, it was perplexing to figure out how it happened.

Slightly off-topic, I suppose, but that barking dog bit got me to recalling.

I PDed an Oldies daytimer way back when. It was my first PD gig ever*. We had to clear out virtually all the ethnic and religious shows and wait for sponsors to get interested in 'contemporary oldies A/C'. Since that was the market 'void' we sowed, the station went very well with our target demo of 20-30 and the newly programmed spot log reflected that. And the air staff all had privy to this nearby stack of sound effects carts we'd use for punctuating songs and even for the occasional contest.

Sunday morning religious shows were immutable, though. I never asked why, although there were probably long-term contracts at issue. There was this big guy at the station, a part-timer named Joe who engineered the Sunday morning board. He was this hysterically deadpan-funny guy who would remind you of the actor Peter Lupus (of the TV shows Mission Impossible and Police Squad).
Well, one Sunday morning I awoke and tuned in the station. There was one of the screamer-type hosts on, with her entourage/chorus in the newsroom, imploring her to new heights of vitriol and passion.
And then I heard one of the SFX carts go off. And then another one. And then a third.
I called the studio line and asked Joe what he was doing. 'Oh,' he told me. 'They love it. They keep asking for more.'
Yeah, sure, Joe. But since I was not in charge of scheduling, I just shook my head and went back to sleep.
Among those SFX carts, though ..... a rim shot ..... what sounded like :05 seconds of small, screaming, fleeing animals ..... two Curly Howard impressions ('Suhytainly!' and his 'Whooop-wooop-woop!' ...... one of four poker players rubbing their hands in fiendish 'Yo-ho-ho'ing' glee, thinking they'd each won the pot ..... WAS one that sounded like a barking dog!

* Although I was the nominal PD, there were two others at the programming helm as well who deserve much credit. It was a pleasure partaking in and watching this 3-headed chieftain agree on just about everything that went over the air.

If only that was on tape !

Slightly off-topic, I suppose, but that barking dog bit got me to recalling.

I PDed an Oldies daytimer way back when. It was my first PD gig ever*. We had to clear out virtually all the ethnic and religious shows and wait for sponsors to get interested in 'contemporary oldies A/C'. Since that was the market 'void' we sowed, the station went very well with our target demo of 20-30 and the newly programmed spot log reflected that. And the air staff all had privy to this nearby stack of sound effects carts we'd use for punctuating songs and even for the occasional contest.

Sunday morning religious shows were immutable, though. I never asked why, although there were probably long-term contracts at issue. There was this big guy at the station, a part-timer named Joe who engineered the Sunday morning board. He was this hysterically deadpan-funny guy who would remind you of the actor Peter Lupus (of the TV shows Mission Impossible and Police Squad).
Well, one Sunday morning I awoke and tuned in the station. There was one of the screamer-type hosts on, with her entourage/chorus in the newsroom, imploring her to new heights of vitriol and passion.
And then I heard one of the SFX carts go off. And then another one. And then a third.
I called the studio line and asked Joe what he was doing. 'Oh,' he told me. 'They love it. They keep asking for more.'
Yeah, sure, Joe. But since I was not in charge of scheduling, I just shook my head and went back to sleep.
Among those SFX carts, though ..... a rim shot ..... what sounded like :05 seconds of small, screaming, fleeing animals ..... two Curly Howard impressions ('Suhytainly!' and his 'Whooop-wooop-woop!' ...... one of four poker players rubbing their hands in fiendish 'Yo-ho-ho'ing' glee, thinking they'd each won the pot ..... WAS one that sounded like a barking dog!

* Although I was the nominal PD, there were two others at the programming helm as well who deserve much credit. It was a pleasure partaking in and watching this 3-headed chieftain agree on just about everything that went over the air.

The legendary WOIA 102.9 Ann Arbor, MI, where John Landecker did news on weekends back in 1967, is/was on Brassow Rd., way out in the country with farms nearby back then. One year, when the studios and transmitter were still out there, with 10 kW from 180 feet HAAT, it might have been WIQB by then, you could literally hear crickets in the studio when the mike was on. It's now WWWW-FM, a Cumulus station. Their AM, now WLBY 1290, still has it's towers out there.

There was a Western Michigan CE that did a Sunday morning airshift. He also taught and headed up the Broadcast Engineering Technology department at the state college there. He usually left the mike a little too hot, and you could always hear him shuffling papers and looking for the next page to be read, which sometimes resulted in a several second delay.

And then there was my shift attrracting the biggest volume of phone calls that our 5kw daytimer would get all day when we were running Garner Ted Armstrong at 6am...and had to be on pre-sunrise power (500 watts). LOTS of venom out there!

Oh I've been there and done that, but in Spanish and Portuguese ...

We let the dolla a holla crews run their own boards.... we had signs in various languages imploring them to keep the meters out of the red.... which were ignored.

I could hear the meters pinging in my office down the hall....

I would turn the mic processors down, I would do everything to keep them from driving the processors nuts, to the point of turning down gains in the modules for the mic channels.... and they would still keep screaming.

I tried to explain to them screaming made them sound like crap, and shouting didn't make the signal go further.

I fought that battle for 8 years... never winning once.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom