• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The RIVER a bad FLOOD

the golden boy said:
BarryATL said:
An oldies station brings in folks who tend to have a very high disposable income. Why is that not attractive to advertisers?

I heard someone say that the reason older demos are not attractive to ad buyers is because the older a person gets, the more likely they are to be set in their ways when it comes to buying products and where they buy them. Advertising is about impulse buying and since younger demos are much more adaptable to change, they can be convinced more easily into buy the newest gadgets, clothes, foods, etc.

That stereotype is something created by suits who are out of touch with reality.
I know 77 year old who has an Iphone, is more active on Facebook than her grandchildren, and is more "hip" than most 30 year olds, the difference is she has the income to afford to be. She doesn't listen to terrestrial radio anymore for the same reason Brent and others aren't, nothing appeals to her. It certainly isn't a lack of response to advertising, older people DO respond to ads and try new products. My 72 year old father is proof of that, he will buy anything in an ad. And he's more apt to listen to ads on "traditional" media like radio and TV, versus the Internet.

Radio stations announcing they're taking "requests" and then continuing with their same planned playlist has been par for the course forever. During my brief internship at Star 94 in 1992 the call would go out for requests, and my job was to write down what requests came in on a clipboard and then put the list in a box in the mail room where supposedly someone would get it and study the results for creating future playlists. However, overall I think asking for requests is just a ruse to make listeners feel involved and like they're being heard while business as usual goes on. Like a restaurant with a comments box; they don't have time to read that!

You would also get nutcakes requesting stuff Star 94 would never play in a billion years, like The Inkspots and Sinatra.

Commercials are set to play at specific times of day, and the song lists have been timed to play around those. They can't just start throwing records on the air willy-nilly because somebody in Jonesboro wants to hear Dexie's Midnight Runners out of the blue.

MRFLASHPORT said:
I know 77 year old who has an Iphone, is more active on Facebook than her grandchildren, and is more "hip" than most 30 year olds

If she were more "hip" than most 30 year olds, she wouldn't be listening to music from the 60s

I'm sure there are plenty of "hip" people in their 60s/70s, and they enjoy listening to Star 94, Q100, Wild, and Dave

atlantaboy said:
MRFLASHPORT said:
I know 77 year old who has an Iphone, is more active on Facebook than her grandchildren, and is more "hip" than most 30 year olds

If she were more "hip" than most 30 year olds, she wouldn't be listening to music from the 60s

I'm sure there are plenty of "hip" people in their 60s/70s, and they enjoy listening to Star 94, Q100, Wild, and Dave
The pop music of today is probably the best it's been in the last 20 years. Still doesn't beat the 1970s and 1980s of my youth, though.

atlantaboy said:

From the ratings I'm sure there are people in their 60's & 70's who listen to Star 94, Q100 and Wild but from Dave's ratings I pretty much doubt it.

Well, after a brief flirt with classic (top 40) hits River seems to be going back to its plan of newer and harder...hearing a little more 90s album rock mixed in...

Meanwhile, Rock100.5 is putting in a LOT of harder/newer stuff.

Except for Hendrix, the Doors, Zeppelin, CCR, and the Stones, 1960s album rock is almost completely off the air (and I am hearing less Doors and CCR). Indeed, except for the aforementioned artists plus the ubiquitous "Dream On" by Aerosmith and maybe the odd Alice Cooper piece, early 1970s AOR is off, too.

So it's not just a pop phenomenon.

jabba17 said:
Well, after a brief flirt with classic (top 40) hits River seems to be going back to its plan of newer and harder...hearing a little more 90s album rock mixed in...

Meanwhile, Rock100.5 is putting in a LOT of harder/newer stuff.

Except for Hendrix, the Doors, Zeppelin, CCR, and the Stones, 1960s album rock is almost completely off the air (and I am hearing less Doors and CCR). Indeed, except for the aforementioned artists plus the ubiquitous "Dream On" by Aerosmith and maybe the odd Alice Cooper piece, early 1970s AOR is off, too.

So it's not just a pop phenomenon.

I just don't get why we don't have a good classic top 40/Motown as well as the CCR, Journey, and Chicago that we all like. It makes no sense.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom