• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The return of 1220 AM in St. Catharines Ontario

I thought Canada didn’t allow new AM stations to get licensed. With all the AM’s moving to FM.

AM is still being granted.
There's an all Greek station (CHTO 1690) requesting a Second AM repeater (@1490) instead of trying to go FM.
I have no idea why they need a second AM when there's only so much Greek language to go around, but whatever... (considering the cost to run an AM tower, let alone two...)
Source: https://www.facebook.com/rwcrn/posts/3582974135075243

AM is still being granted.
There's an all Greek station (CHTO 1690) requesting a Second AM repeater (@1490) instead of trying to go FM.
I have no idea why they need a second AM when there's only so much Greek language to go around, but whatever... (considering the cost to run an AM tower, let alone two...)
Source: https://www.facebook.com/rwcrn/posts/3582974135075243

It would be great for some Canadian broadcaster to utilize the now vacant AM 540 in Windsor, Ontario. It was a good 2.5 KW day and 5 KW night signal. This had a solid coverage area for Windsor - Detroit. By the way Yeziknoradio Thanks for the info.

It would be great for some Canadian broadcaster to utilize the now vacant AM 540 in Windsor, Ontario. It was a good 2.5 KW day and 5 KW night signal. This had a solid coverage area for Windsor - Detroit. By the way Yeziknoradio Thanks for the info.
You're welcome! (sorry for the late response)
It surprises me that anyone wants to do anything with AM radio anymore. Outside of news, information and classics, there's not much more you can do with it. FM and HD radio is where the (radio) listeners seem to be going. (for the music formats)

You're welcome! (sorry for the late response)
It surprises me that anyone wants to do anything with AM radio anymore. Outside of news, information and classics, there's not much more you can do with it. FM and HD radio is where the (radio) listeners seem to be going. (for the music formats)
FM for sure, HD not so much.

FM for sure, HD not so much.
I'm not sure what Americans think of HD radio, but here in Canada (Ontario) cars are where HD seems to be catching on.
AM in HD is nice, but I don't see anyone rushing out to buy a new HD radio for home use.

I'm not sure what Americans think of HD radio, but here in Canada (Ontario) cars are where HD seems to be catching on.
AM in HD is nice, but I don't see anyone rushing out to buy a new HD radio for home use.
Agree, I have two portable HD Radios and one in the truck and I don’t listen to any of them. The programming on all of the HD sub channels suck. I stream most of my music. If I tune in to radio it’s for talk radio usually AM stations, once in a while I’ll listen to Oldies Radio on FM but it’s rare.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is anyone in the St. Catharines area right now? Friends are telling me the station went to static!
I think CFAJ 1220 is just in a temporary low power mode, covering immediate area...but I could be wrong.
Are they off the air??? What's up with this station??

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom