• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The "old" KWHK in Hutchinson

Was just browsing and noticed the threads from a few years ago concerning 'HK. Was always sorry to hear that it went under the way it did. As Lyman James pointed out, it was a great little station at one time. In the mid-late 70s we had Tom Pike, Mike Sanders, Kenny Woodard, Bob Booth, Clark Bevan, Sally Salmon and numerous other jocks who did a great job. GM Ken Willard rode herd over us and tried to make us behave. I seldom did and was always getting into trouble for some nonsense on-the-air. But it was a wonderful time, with super people, in a great little city. I treasure those years. I left KWHK in '79 and went over to KSKU and worked briefly doing mornings with Steve Bridgewater (The Doctor & Walker.) In early 1980 I came to Dallas and found a home. But there's still a soft spot in my heart for Hutch.

Jason Walker (back then known as Jay W. Walker)

That was a good time at 'HK, "The Radio Station Everybody's Coming Home To," as I rebranded it (and stole from an L.A. station. The Doctor & Walker had a good run at KSKU as well. Met up with Bridge in Nashville years ago, but have lost track of him since he's been in the cinema end of things for quite a while. Dallas is a great city, but a little toastier than SF.

HK was a great sounding little radio station. Sad to think about how much the biz has changed. I remember the station with a full staff, around the clock. Local radio, local people, solid programming - and on an AM!

I was just thinking of that station today.
1260 AM in Hutch.
I think it was the only way to hear Casey Kasem's American Top 40 in Great Bend then (1979)

I forget what happened to it and how it ended.

I know there was some connection with 1250 Wren in Topeka.

There's surprisingly little online about KWHK.

Last edited:
I know this is off-topic but a certain station in Hutchinson streams the Chiefs games... Without any premium subscription. :)
I love listening to them on my ALexa device!

I know this is off-topic but a certain station in Hutchinson streams the Chiefs games... Without any premium subscription. :)
I love listening to them on my ALexa device!
Shhh.... we need to keep that going. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom