• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Mighty 92 WOKY

BRRC

Inactive
Inactive User
A legendary radio station went bye-bye this week. The Mighty 92 WOKY in Milwaukee was playing oldies/classic hits -- on the AM dial -- with all the old jingles and imaging, the way it used to be done. Not a ratings winner, but a 2.3 in that market wasn't awful either. Jocks sure found it compelling to work there -- either live or tracked. Dick Sloane, who worked for years on 99X in New York worked on WOKY this past year...Scott Tyler...Java Joel. It was just fun to listen to. Once upon a time, it was a great feeder for the larger markets. Art Roberts worked there, as did Big Ron O'Brien, Jack McCoy (the "Last Contest" originator), Barney Pip, and Bob Collins (who also was the PD at WOKY).

Some of the audio from the last week of the Mighty 92 is on the net at the link below. Fellow radio geeks -- enjoy.

ftp://65.30.201.224/

BRRC said:
A legendary radio station went bye-bye this week. The Mighty 92 WOKY in Milwaukee was playing oldies/classic hits -- on the AM dial -- with all the old jingles and imaging, the way it used to be done. Not a ratings winner, but a 2.3 in that market wasn't awful either.

Their revenue share in the market was only about a third of the ratings share; in the essential 25-54 year old demographic, the station was 27th in the market. With nearly all listeners over 55, the format was pretty much off the radar for advertising buyers.

I'm sure the signal problems (big null to the south daytime, only 1kw night) and the less-than-stellar audio quality didn't help. And despite hearing some of the superb vintage jingles that I grew up with, I found the overall presentation to be more than a tad sterile at times.

That said, it's difficult for me personally understand how a flip to classic country is going to significantly address the ratings/revenue dynamic that David points out.

cyberdad said:
That said, it's difficult for me personally understand how a flip to classic country is going to significantly address the ratings/revenue dynamic that David points out.

What puzzles me is that Classic Country would attract a '50s/early '60s audience that left Top 40 in the mid '60s and went to Country. And that audience for the most part would be 55+, a demo that radio claims it doesn't want.

A station that plays "Stand By Your Man" all day would definitely lose me as a listener! I'm 44, and I would listen to a station playing oldies, even oldies that predate my lifetime! But if you play country music from the same time frame, you will lose me as a listener! :mad:

My dad would probably like a station playing '50s/'60s country, but he's 77 now, oops! out of the coveted 18-55 demographic!

I'm within that demographic they supposedly want, but I'm becoming increasingly dissatisfied with what I'm hearing on the air these days!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom