• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Holy Grail??

BrokeEngineer

Inactive
Inactive User
Is there a fair priced ($200) HD radio out there that has RBDS on it? If so, someone please let me know. I don't care if it is a car unit and actually prefer it be. I am so tired of seeing HD "ready" units, lot of good that does.

> Not sure if this one has rds but is an all in one unit and
> is multicast ready.
>

Specs look like it does not have RDS.

The multicast tuner built in is a nice thing.<P ID="signature">______________

"Z"
Music Coordinator/Technical Support</P>

> Is there a fair priced ($200) HD radio out there that has
> RBDS on it? If so, someone please let me know. I don't care
> if it is a car unit and actually prefer it be. I am so tired
> of seeing HD "ready" units, lot of good that does.

JVC has a $299 ($20 mail-in rebate) at Crutchfield. Radio stations are grabbing them up as monitors. It's been out of stock since its release. Boston Acoustics has a tabletop for $299 (down from $499, recently.)

What we really need is an iPod sized reeiver. After all, that's what, allegedly, killing radio. There doesn't appear to be anything like that in the pipeline.

Most "sales associates" at dealers have no idea what IBUZ is. Most will lead you to the SIRIUS or XM display if you ask for digital radio. Even the custom installers I've visited know nothing about it.

Rich

> > Is there a fair priced ($200) HD radio out there that has
> > RBDS on it? If so, someone please let me know. I don't
> care
> > if it is a car unit and actually prefer it be. I am so
> tired
> > of seeing HD "ready" units, lot of good that does.
>
> JVC has a $299 ($20 mail-in rebate) at Crutchfield. Radio
> stations are grabbing them up as monitors. It's been out of
> stock since its release. Boston Acoustics has a tabletop for
> $299 (down from $499, recently.)
>
> What we really need is an iPod sized reeiver. After all,
> that's what, allegedly, killing radio. There doesn't appear
> to be anything like that in the pipeline.
>
> Most "sales associates" at dealers have no idea what IBUZ
> is. Most will lead you to the SIRIUS or XM display if you
> ask for digital radio. Even the custom installers I've
> visited know nothing about it.
>
> Rich
>

Probably because you are asking about an IBUZ receiver. It's called IBOC.<P ID="signature">______________
</P>

> Probably because you are asking about an IBUZ receiver.
> It's called IBOC.

Nope. I'm asking about HD Radio because that's what they'd most likely know it as. Every retailer I've visited or called has told me I'm the first and only person to ask about any HD Radio products.

It appears I'm a lone sold spreading the IBUZ word. They tell me they'll look into it. When I go back a month later, same thing. No idea what it is. Not even the manufacturers are spreading the word.

Rich

> Probably because you are asking about an IBUZ receiver.
> It's called IBOC.

Actually, it isn't. The manufacturer (they should know) calls it HD Radio. IBOC would be as confusing as IBUZ and less accurate.

Rich

> > Probably because you are asking about an IBUZ receiver.
> > It's called IBOC.
>
> Nope. I'm asking about HD Radio because that's what they'd
> most likely know it as. Every retailer I've visited or
> called has told me I'm the first and only person to ask
> about any HD Radio products.
>
> It appears I'm a lone sold spreading the IBUZ word. They
> tell me they'll look into it. When I go back a month later,
> same thing. No idea what it is. Not even the manufacturers
> are spreading the word.
>
> Rich
>

:)

I would think that it would get confused with Apple's latest personal grooming device, the iBuzz.

At any rate, it's a chicken and egg deal. The receivers won't be widely available until there are "enough" stations running HD. My opinion? One year. This time next year, you'll see the radios all over the place. Most of the boradcasters I've talked to don't expect IBOC to take off for at least a year or more.<P ID="signature">______________
</P>

> At any rate, it's a chicken and egg deal. The receivers
> won't be widely available until there are "enough" stations
> running HD. My opinion? One year. This time next year,
> you'll see the radios all over the place. Most of the
> boradcasters I've talked to don't expect IBOC to take off
> for at least a year or more.

I believe much longer. I've spoken with manufacturers and their lead times are much longer than that. 5-12 years appears to be the minimum. Also, manufacturers don't consider this to be an important product. Especially the big ones with hundreds of products. Notice the Crutchfield catalog reducing the number of pages devoted to IBUZ. Not a good sign.

Rich

> > At any rate, it's a chicken and egg deal. The receivers
> > won't be widely available until there are "enough"
> stations
> > running HD. My opinion? One year. This time next year,
> > you'll see the radios all over the place. Most of the
> > boradcasters I've talked to don't expect IBOC to take off
> > for at least a year or more.
>
> I believe much longer. I've spoken with manufacturers and
> their lead times are much longer than that. 5-12 years
> appears to be the minimum. Also, manufacturers don't
> consider this to be an important product. Especially the big
> ones with hundreds of products. Notice the Crutchfield
> catalog reducing the number of pages devoted to IBUZ. Not a
> good sign.
>
> Rich
>

That's true right now, but IMHO when the major broadcasters start promoting the crud out of HD (including giveaways, listening kiosks, specialty formats on the HD-2's) demand will pick up. The manufacturers aren't going to make a product that isn't going to sell (OK, that's a duh...) but we're using a very good advertising/promotional vehicle to get it going.

Of course, it could fall flat.

All I know is that a radio fan, I love the sound of HD, and I really enjoy some of the HD-2 offerings that I've heard that are more than jukeboxes. Once the price comes down, I see it as a "no-brainer".<P ID="signature">______________
</P>

> we're using a very good advertising/promotional vehicle to
> get it going.

> Of course, it could fall flat.

> All I know is that a radio fan, I love the sound of HD, and
> I really enjoy some of the HD-2 offerings that I've heard
> that are more than jukeboxes. Once the price comes down, I
> see it as a "no-brainer".

Speaking of falling flat, why not have more Martinifests like they did in Milwaukee ($30 for all the booze you can drink at a museum). Get listeners flat drunk and have some IBUZ radios for sale. The slogan can be "Get an IBUZ on."

I'm curious. What "very good advertising/promotional vehicle" are you using? Are you running TV and Newspaper ads? Are you using that $200 million set aside by Jabba the HD and the HD Dominion for promotion? I mean cash, not inventory.

Rich

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom