• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Connecticut School of Broadcasting...

M

Mastrmynd

Maybe this question has already been asked on this board, but please bear with me.
:)

Professionally speaking, what do you all think about the Connecticut School of Broadcasting. I'm interested in hear with the radio community has to say about this school.

Do they actually help people get jobs in the industry or is it just another school that is targeting unemployed people who watch WB36 during the midday?

The main instructor there could only manage to work his way on-air to part time Sunday nights on 96rock. That ought to tell you something. When he finally got on-air, he insisted that everyone call him "Cage." True story.

Good luck!

> Maybe this question has already been asked on this board,
> but please bear with me.
> :)
>
> Professionally speaking, what do you all think about the
> Connecticut School of Broadcasting. I'm interested in hear
> with the radio community has to say about this school.
>
> Do they actually help people get jobs in the industry or is
> it just another school that is targeting unemployed people
> who watch WB36 during the midday?
>

Wow.
Hahahaha.

Oh, don't worry about me. I wasn't planning on attending but I was curious about them.

> The main instructor there could only manage to work his way
> on-air to part time Sunday nights on 96rock. That ought to
> tell you something. When he finally got on-air, he insisted
> that everyone call him "Cage." True story.
>
> Good luck!
>
>
>
>
>
> > Maybe this question has already been asked on this board,
> > but please bear with me.
> > :)
> >
> > Professionally speaking, what do you all think about the
> > Connecticut School of Broadcasting. I'm interested in
> hear
> > with the radio community has to say about this school.
> >
> > Do they actually help people get jobs in the industry or
> is
> > it just another school that is targeting unemployed people
>
> > who watch WB36 during the midday?
> >
>

> Oh, don't worry about me. I wasn't planning on attending
> but I was curious about them.

Anyone interested in broadcasting should work for a college station; e.g. WRAS at Georgia State; and then intern.

> Maybe this question has already been asked on this board,
> but please bear with me.
> :)
>
> Professionally speaking, what do you all think about the
> Connecticut School of Broadcasting. I'm interested in hear
> with the radio community has to say about this school.
>
> Do they actually help people get jobs in the industry or is
> it just another school that is targeting unemployed people
> who watch WB36 during the midday?
>

Yeah, I've had conversations with PDs about this, and they've said that its much better experience to intern then to go through ANY of the schools like that.

> > Oh, don't worry about me. I wasn't planning on attending
> > but I was curious about them.
>
> Anyone interested in broadcasting should work for a college
> station; e.g. WRAS at Georgia State; and then intern.
>

I agree.
I did my thing at WUOG 90.5FM in Athens!
"Playaz Picnic 4ever!"

and I interned at 97.5FM back when it was still HOT and they were located in COllege Park.

>
> Good luck!

"Cage" actually exited CSB a little over a year ago...and is still a helluva nice guy....regardless of what his on-air name is/was.

Besides, his employment experience (which is far more vast than just weekends at 96 Rock) doesn't really speak to the experience of attending CSB. You get out of it what you put in to it. Plus, the director isn't the only person to teach classes. They have instructors from all over town (and all over radio & tv) teaching day in and day out.

The current director has been in radio for 17 years and has held just about every position in a radio station from intern to PD. Jordan Walsh is his name. Give him a shout: 1-800-TV-RADIO. =)

> > Oh, don't worry about me. I wasn't planning on attending
> > but I was curious about them.
>
>

Is it really that easy? Could I walk in to WRAS and say "Hi, I'd like to be an intern!". I seriously doubt that. With this being as competitive market as it is, there are literally HUNDREDS of people who would gladly make numerous sacrifices to get in the doors of any station....especialy a college station. It really can't be that easy. Especially without any training or experience to back you up.

CSB helps you connect with the appropriate people in order to advance your career as far as you want it to go. Again, you get out of it what you put in to it.

>
> Good luck!
>

There is this guy who did nights at 96 Rock many years ago and insisted that people actually call him "Bubba The Love Sponge". So much, in fact, that he had it changed legally.

"Cage" was his radio name....not an unfamiliar concept to people in this business. (see also: Phill Terrana; Steve McCoy, etc, etc...)

> Is it really that easy? Could I walk in to WRAS and say "Hi,
> I'd like to be an intern!". I seriously doubt that. With
> this being as competitive market as it is, there are
> literally HUNDREDS of people who would gladly make numerous
> sacrifices to get in the doors of any station....especialy a
> college station. It really can't be that easy. Especially
> without any training or experience to back you up.

That can't be true. WUOG is off-air frequently, and WREK runs automation often. Any Tech student can work at WREK and start on-air training immediately. WUOG has a more complicated process to DJ train, but they definitely could use help in many areas.

Certainly you have to attend college at the associated schools, but I am sure such a degree will go further in many respects than a certificate from CSB.

The old CSB in Atlanta turned into the Atlanta Broadcast Institute. They're placement record is exceptional.

The class from last summer placed 9 out of 9 students in either jobs locally or internships. One of the night classes from last summer place 11 out of 14, with 2 of those not getting jobs opting to wait. Where I work we have at least 5 people who went there working now.

Broadcast schools do work. Of course they will only work if the student is willing to go the extra effort to land, and keep, a job.

Don't need too cause...

I've been in the biz for a while..this is Tim Rhodes, and I went to CSB for 2 weeks before I dropped out some time ago. And I know Thomas "Cage." I hope he has much success, but he pulled me aside when I was doing a gig after I introduced him to the manager as Thomas. He said, "Hey man, my name is not Thomas, it's Cage now!" I was like, "You have to be kidding me?"

The other poster is right - become an intern - it's the quickest way to get on-air!

Peace

Tim <---- Still unemployed

>

Here's how I got to where I am

1. Interned at college station
2. Did morning show at college station
3. Interned at a non-non-comm station.
4. Was forced to forget most of what I learned at the college station
5. Whored myself out at the "real" station for 6 months w/o pay to get the coveted weekend/overnight/swing jock position.
6. Moved 500 miles away for my first full time job in a small market
7. Relearned the new station, forgetting most of what I learned at the previous station.
8. Stayed in the trenches in small market USA for 3 years, sharpened my skills.
9. Moved to Atlanta...forgetting most of what I learned at the previous station.

Point is,
1. radio can't be teached.
2. Every station is different
3. Every station thinks their way is the end-all-be-all best way to do things.
4. It isn't.
5. Don't expect to be given PM drive when you internship is over.
6. Many people find they can't get a good gig at the station they interned for because they'll always be seen as "the intern".

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom