• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The 1480 Longwire Antenna

If memory serves me correctly, WSPY is still operating with a longwire antenna. Other than having a weak signal overall, I think it exhibits some interesting characteristics. WSPY is the only station I know of that often gets LOUDER when you drive under certain power lines and overpasses. I wrote about one particular overpass on Illinois 53 near Addison where the signal pops up more than 20 dB when you drive under it. I was out in that area today and the effect is still as strong as ever.

By the way, unlike its sister station WSQR, WSPY did not change formats. It still carries "America's Best Music". I wish we had a station closer in to the Chicago metro with this format, or that WSPY had a better signal. There is nothing like it in the Chicago market. Previously, 1180 and 1480 carried the same music format, and it was interesting that the audio sounded noticeably different on the two stations (1480 had more high end). For those who think audio quality doesn't matter on AM, it does!

I agree with you. It is really a shame that 1480 is not transmitting full boat. I'm not sure if it would be eligible for a translator on FM or not like the sister station AM's in Sycamore and Dekalb. Also at the very least an online stream would be nice. I enjoyed the Dial Global Adult Standards format as well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom