• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Texas Radio Hall of Fame

ColonelStJames

Inactive
Inactive User
Voting has begun for the 2010 class of nominees for the Texas Radio Hall of Fame. Class is a good word to describe this year's nominees, too. Lots of legendary Houston Air Personality. Go to www.texasradiohalloffame.com for a complete list of candidates and for an official ballot. It'll cost you $15 for a lifetime membership, but then you can vote and nominate forever. There are a lot of people whose names you'll recognize, and who could use your help getting into the Hall. I know how much it meant to me to be inducted. So, take a minute and make a difference in somebody's life. And no, I don't get any money for promoting this, ok? Thanks so much!

This must be a joke -- Glenn Beck?

I thought getting nominated to the Texas Radio Hall of Fame was an honor that meant something. Apparently not. Silly me. Glenn Beck was at KRBE in Houston just long enough to have a few cups of coffee. He was fired for low ratings and he moved on. Beck was NEVER a success in radio, ANYWHERE. He was fired from every radio job he ever had. Look at what the WikiPedia says about his radio "career."

"...In mid-1985, Beck was hired away from KZFM to be the lead DJ for the morning-drive radio broadcast by WRKA in Louisville, Kentucky. His four-hour weekday show was called Captain Beck and the A-Team. Beck had a reputation as a "young up-and-comer". The show was not political and included off-color humour. One of his competitors, Terry Meiners, was critical of Beck for jokes regarding another competitor who was overweight. The show slipped to third in the market and Beck left abruptly in 1987 amid a dispute with WRKA management.

Months later, Beck was hired by Phoenix Top-40 station KOY-FM, then known as Y-95. Beck was partnered with Arizona native Tim Hattrick to co-host a local "morning zoo" program. During his time at Y-95, Beck cultivated a rivalry with local pop radio station KZZP and that station's morning host Bruce Kelly. Through practical jokes and publicity stunts, Beck drew criticism from the staff at Y-95 when the rivalry culminated in Beck telephoning Kelly's wife on-the-air, mocking her recent miscarriage.

In 1989, Beck resigned from Y-95 to accept a job in Houston at KRBE, known as Power 104. Beck was subsequently fired in 1990 due to poor ratings. He would later recount to the Houston Chronicle that his stint at Power 104 "was the worst time in [his] broadcasting career".

After leaving Houston, Beck moved on to Baltimore, Maryland and the city's leading Top-40 station, WBSB, known as B104. There, he partnered with Pat Gray, a morning DJ. During his tenure at B104, Beck was arrested for speeding in his DeLorean with one of the car's gull-wing doors wide open. According to a former colleague, Beck was "completely out of it" when a B104 manager went down to the station to bail him out. After a year of struggling personally and professionally, Beck found himself working alone when Gray's contract was canceled. When Beck was fired also, the two men spent six months in Baltimore living off of their severance, unemployed and planning their next move. Then, in early 1992, Beck and Gray both moved on to WKCI-FM (KC101), a Top-40 radio station in Hamden, Connecticut.

At WKCI, Beck and Gray co-hosted the local four-hour morning show, billed as the Glenn and Pat Show. On a 1995 broadcast of the show, Alf Papineau pretended to speak Chinese during a taped comedy skit. When an Asian-American listener called to complain, Gray and Beck made fun of the caller and played gongs in the background while Papineau spoke in a mock-Chinese accent. The listener contacted a number of human rights organizations, four of which formed the Connecticut Asian American Coalition Against KC101 Racism. The station manager read an apology on the air and the station issued a written pledge to refrain from offensive activities and instituted cultural sensitivity training for employees.

When Gray left the show to move to Salt Lake City, Beck continued with co-host Vinnie Penn. At the end of 1998, Beck was told that his contract would not be renewed when it expired at the end of the 1999."

Sounds like a rather "colorful" career; similar to those of a few other pop jocks from years gone by. The days when you could have fun on your show, push the envelope and see what worked for you. I agree that he's probably not HoF material; but, certainly, memorable.

mrbeasley said:
Sounds like a rather "colorful" career; similar to those of a few other pop jocks from years gone by. The days when you could have fun on your show, push the envelope and see what worked for you. I agree that he's probably not HoF material; but, certainly, memorable.

If "hav(ing) fun on your show, push(ing) the envelope and see(ing) what worked for you" required snorting everything you made up your nose like Beck did, then it's no wonder that radio has changed... for the better.

No, John. I certainly wasn't referring to that kind of "fun". And, yes. Getting that culture out of radio did make it a better profession to be in. Even though it never totally went away.

If you've heard Beck lately, he makes reference to those days, every now and then. Apparently, he hit bottom, like they all do eventually; and turned his life around. But, he didn't seem to lose the same passion that he probably started out with. I was merely making the point that it doesn't do justice to the guy, bringing up his past. At least not in the context of a Hof nomination. Frankly, I'm surprised anyone remembers him even being here in Houston.

I agree he seems to have changed his act since he got into TV and stopped being a radio shock jock. I'll even concede your point that maybe he's seen the light and turned his life around.

But, it's still a fact that his "radio career" as a shock jock was hardly HOF quality. Especially during the few months he spent in Houston and Texas. Even he said it was the worst time in his broadcasting career. It's simply unfathomable that someone would think him worthy of nomination.

He was pretty successful at KZFM in the 2 years he was there. KZFM is in Corpus Christi. I'm almost sure that's in Texas

The TREHOF has been historically overloaded with those from the Dallas-Ft. Worth market.

There are a number of Houston area nominees this year. It's important that those of you in the Houston area cast your votes for your peers.

I have nominated Bill "Rascal" McCaskill, Vandy Anderson and Bud Buschardt.

Others oldtimers include Walt Hammock, Ken Collins, Marty Ambrose, Webb Hunt (RIP), Barry Kilgore, Dizzie Lizzie, Tim Nolan, Bill Zack, Gabe Tucker, Bob Byron.

http://www.texasradiohalloffame.com

Someone give Bob Ford a vote for me, he is a stand up guy, class act and very deserving. Maybe next year we will Tom Fontaine as a nominee as well. I gotta give a fellow Gator some props too.

I'd certainly vote for any of my old friends from KQUE. My third job in the business was with these guys in 1972 and it was an education. And a special word for Marty. He has been a friend, I think, through my whole 30 years in Houston broadcasting through 2000 when I left. Good times, good people. I miss them all, one way or another.

When we did the Houston Radio Reunion a while back, I did not get the chance to do a few things on mic I wanted to. There was just so much other stuff going on. But for all the communication I had with folks, both in and out of radio, the one personality that more were curious about than any other was : Roger Gray.

That is very kind of you. I appreciate it, true or not. I hope there's another one in the works, I had to leave far too soon last time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom