• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Television in Europe OTA

`It seems some countries in Europe has tons of channels and other countries in Europe has few channels and some parts of Europe only can access government run tv while accessing private broadcasters requires a subscription services. This is my observation when I visited Europe a while back (mostly western Europe).

When I visited in Europe in the past I notice that these countries have lots of OTA digital channels.
UK, France, Italy, Spain, Germany, Greece, Finland.

Some European countries only have few channels.
Ireland, Portugal, Luxembourg, Switzerland (before shutdown in 2018)

Some European countries only can access government run tv stations or regional channels while private tv stations requires a decoder box or subscription services.
Denmark (only can recieved DR:TV, TV 2 requires subscription), Norway, Sweden, (SVT and Channel 4 only are free), Netherlands (NOS and local tv only are free), Austria (ORF, ATV, PULS 4 only are free) Belgium (VRT only before shutdown 2018), .

And, some strange channels they are.

My first trip to England in 1986 I arrived at my hotel at about 8 AM on a Sunday morning after flying all night from NY. I flipped on the telly and on one of the BBC channels there were 5-6 people sitting around a picnic table in a park discussing bird watching. And the pubs didn't open up until mid-afternoon! ARG!!!!!!

That's one reason hotels have in-room mini-bars.
(High mark-up is the other reason).

Last edited by a moderator:
And, some strange channels they are.

My first trip to England in 1986 I arrived at my hotel at about 8 AM on a Sunday morning after flying all night from NY. I flipped on the telly and on one of the BBC channels there were 5-6 people sitting around a picnic table in a park discussing bird watching. And the pubs didn't open up until mid-afternoon! ARG!!!!!!

Things have changed a bit since then! We have loads of OTA channels, although the pubs still don't generally open until noon on Sunday

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom