• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

technical name for WJR's top of the hour "GONG"

N

nightfly61

Is there a technical name for this device? It's been with the station probably since day one. I wonder if the "Gong machine" is still wired into their new equipment, or if it's just on a button bar? I'd be willing to bet it's the old vintage unit still hooked up because it pops on overtop of things including spot breaks & announcers talking & doesn't seem to startle them or catch them off guard so I'm thinking it's wired into the main output and they don't even hear it. Probably just depends who the producer is whether they have it activated or not, since it's on when Paul W is on but not Frank B. or during Limbaugh or Hannity. This question's been with me for years. It also shows how far they are "off" from the real top of the hour, but sometimes it's right on the money & gives that "old fashioned short wave sound" when they fire the legal & it's right there with it "gooong"ing. Thanks!

some times a 360 systems sampler or something like it can be triggered by a relay
to make the sounder go. I remember at KFYI we had canned time hacks in a gong sound under the legal ID, but that was back in '91. It would be good to know what it really is and how it's routed.

I had them on thismorning & didn't hear it...sometimes it's there & sometimes it's not...I just wonder if it's the Board Op(Producer)'s preference or not? ???

The "gong" is an electronic device, which is a closely guarded secret by WJR's engineering guys. I wanted to get a copy of the schematic, or details on its construction so I could put it on my ham radio repeater. :)

If someone ever does find out the information on it, I would be grateful .... even if it's just the note structure. (Someone in another forum thought it was a C6th chord).

So when does the gong hit--the real TOH?

Or is it :07 late (language delay), :09 late (I-CRAP delay),
:16 late (both of the above)?

It must be regular National Standard Time (live gong) overtop the :10 delayed station output since they act like the announcers don't hear it going off and it cuts over . Maybe only the "old school" board ops leave it on. I thought it was an old cue tone bleep but that'd definately not the case. Maybe it was put there to remind old announcers or performers in the middle of their piano playing or "Lone Ranger Hour" to stop what they were doing and say "WJR, Detroit". ???
I also remember when it'd go off during Tiger games. Maybe back then it was hardwired in & they had no control over it going off during Tiger games & Ernie never batted an eye, so they must not even hear it.

oldiesfan6479 said:

WJR abandoned their HD signal very quietly a few months back. Even their TOH legal ID was rewritten from "Broadcasting in HD- High Definition Radio" to "Broadcasting from Detroit at 760 AM..."

Nathan Obral said:
oldiesfan6479 said:

WJR abandoned their HD signal very quietly a few months back. Even their TOH legal ID was rewritten from "Broadcasting in HD- High Definition Radio" to "Broadcasting from Detroit at 760 AM..."
Wrong-I heard in ONCE Sunday Morning for the first time in a couple weeks. I wonder if an old veteran engineer sits in Sunday Morning and plays Board-Op for the programming & leaves it on for sentimental reasons.(?)...also they must've had their guy re-do a whole new package since they had a new TOH personalized I.D for the "School Supplies Drive for Homeless Kids" & another for the "Golf Outing"...so it's still alive, just used very little.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom