• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

TBN (LPTV)

I remember before the switch from analog to digital tv. Almost every area have at least 1 low power TBN station. Why did TBN killed or sold off their low power/translator station? The only stations that TBN keep are the full power tv stations.

In the FCC filings I read, they blamed it on lack of donations.

This was back when they had one channel. It was the most difficult, alienating channel to watch on the dial. I don't think TBN even watched it. They've since put effort into their programs and have a better product.

If I remember correctly, they sold many of the LPTV stations to smaller operators, like RetroTV. Many never made it back to the air and have since been deleted.

OTA TV has experienced a bit of a comeback since they exited the LPTV game. You have to wonder if they still came ahead in the longterm with the scale back.

Many of the TBN affiliates were LPTV operators that were offered a percentage of the donations from their coverage areas that TBN received. They simply played TBN in prime time and from a few operators I talked to, they got enough to pays most of the bills is not all of them.

I remember before the switch from analog to digital TV. Almost every area have at least 1 low power TBN station. Why did TBN killed or sold off their low power/translator station? The only stations that TBN keep are the full power TV stations.
they probably didnt want to upgrade them to digital

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom