• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Tampa Ratings October 2023 - FLZ Down Big Time Despite Demise Of Hot 101.5!

Country is the new CHR for many former CHR primary listeners who haven't abandoned traditional radio for streaming.
And sure enough, the two Country stations are #2 and #3 with a combined share of 11.7. I'm aware these are just the 6+ numbers, but I am curious how this compares to the combined numbers WFLZ-FM and WPOI had 10 years ago or so, when CHR/Pop was still hot.

I cannot believe my eyes. Just now seeing this. WHAT THE HELL!?
The difference is in the Rhythmic CHR. The market gets more and more rhythmic over time.

And sure enough, the two Country stations are #2 and #3 with a combined share of 11.7.

This is pretty close to the shares that Country has always been getting in Tampa, even back in the ‘90s with WQYK and WRBQ, and the ‘80s with WQYK and WSUN.

This is pretty close to the shares that Country has always been getting in Tampa, even back in the ‘90s with WQYK and WRBQ, and the ‘80s with WQYK and WSUN.
But the demographics of country listeners have been getting younger ever since. We don't have access to anything but 6+, but I'd sure like to know how Tampa-St. Pete's two current country rivals are doing in 18-34 compared to those earlier pairings you mentioned.

No share data, but the 18-34 rankings are on page 2 of this thread.

Top 3 18-34: Rhythmic, Country, Country.
The reason why the country shares rank so high in 18-34 is that most of the Urban, Churban and CHR / Rhythmic CHR listeners are not using radio due to lyrics that can't be broadcast. There are always 100 shares, even when actual Persons Using Radio (now PUMM) are down to less than 30% of the 2003 level from 20 years ago.

The reason why the country shares rank so high in 18-34 is that most of the Urban, Churban and CHR / Rhythmic CHR listeners are not using radio due to lyrics that can't be broadcast.

Keep in mind that there have been some recent country songs with objectionable language (including "batsh*t crazy") that get cleaned up for country radio by the record labels. The latest song by Hardy is labeled on the file as a "clean version." Why those same record labels don't provide clean versions of hits for other formats is something I don't understand. By clean versions, I mean versions with alternate lyrics or mixes, not with bleeps or gaps. The artists are often involved in the re-recording process. They WANT their music played on the radio.

Keep in mind that there have been some recent country songs with objectionable language (including "batsh*t crazy") that get cleaned up for country radio by the record labels. The latest song by Hardy is labeled on the file as a "clean version." Why those same record labels don't provide clean versions of hits for other formats is something I don't understand. By clean versions, I mean versions with alternate lyrics or mixes, not with bleeps or gaps. The artists are often involved in the re-recording process. They WANT their music played on the radio.
Country listeners are more accepting of bleeped-out or gapped-out obscenities than urban listeners are. Urban listeners see profane lyrics as reflective of true street culture ("keeping it real"), which is why they seek out the uncensored versions elsewhere. Radio will never be able to satisfy this sort of listener, as the FCC won't let it. Alternate "clean" lyrics won't solve the problem either. They're not true to the "spirit" of hip-hop.

Back
Top Bottom