• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Suggestions for 4-bay low power antenna

I help out with a low power (1kw ERP) station that is in need of a replacement 4-bay circular polarized antenna. Currently they have an ERI antenna that has proven to be very problematic. It was installed approximately five years ago, and has had numerous problems. We are in southern Indiana, so ERI is only about two hours away. Recently, they had ERI up to look at the most recent issue, and at the end of the day the conclusion was that they needed a new array.

I am one of the biggest ERI fans that you will ever run into, but this particular antenna has been very disappointing. I used a PSI antenna a few years ago in a similar application, and it has performed very well. However, I recently visited their website, and does not instill much confidence in the health of the company. Lots of missing pages and broken links, so I am not comfortable recommending them for this application.

I know there are some good products out there. Just wondered what experience some of you may of had.

Thanks!

Kevin Berlen

Have an ERI 100 series 4 bay antenna on a 900 watt non-com that works just fine--installed back in 2000.

If you want to look elsewhere, though, talk to Dave Edmiston at SWR in Ebensburg.
The FM 1 series are rated at 500 watts per bay, the antennas are well made.

http://www.swr-rf.com/products/fm1antennas.html

Both the ERI 100 series and the SWR use coax between bays, which can be problematic in high-ice areas, or very exposed tower sites. Of course, the higher power antennas with rigid interbay sections will be much more expensive.

Interesting considering I've had ERI rebuild antennas before. What problem did they find on a five year old antenna, that necessitates a new antenna? ERI builds the best, other antennas are sub-par.

Interesting and timely thread since we are currently evalutating antennas for our translator. I like the SWR a lot, looks well built. I would like to hear comments on the Jampro JLCP-4 low power circular polarized antenna. Through our favorite supplier BSW, it is actually a few bucks cheaper than the SWR including shipping to our site.

The Nicom BKG77 was recommended to us but uses a power divider instead of a cable harness splitter which drove the price up a bit. Dont know much about them otherwise.

I have a few of the Nicoms on translators, they work well and the price is good. They're good without radomes or de-icers because of the fat elements having good bandwidth.

What was the problem specifically with your ERI? I have 20 year old rototillers out there with not a single issue. In fact, I've never had a problem with any ERI antenna that's been put up. Can't say the same about some other manufacturers which I will not name on a public board.

I'd stay the course with ERI. Aside from the obvious quality involved, they often "get out" better than the budget brands do.

We're using an earlier-model ERI 100/2 and it's been absolutely fantastic. Not sure of the magic dust they put on it, but it seems to defy the laws of physics and really throw our LPFM signal out there.

Our prior antenna is a SWR and it is still mounted as a back-up. Very very solidly built. We would have stayed with SWR, but ERI came in cheaper and had just debuted the 100/2.

We typically use ERI... However, we have had two situations where we replaced with a Shively. In both instances, the fringe coverage was much better on the Shively. Now, that could just be a coincidence of slightly different mounting, but on one station, it actually made a pretty big difference.

I'd be suspicious of advice to replace a 5 year old ERI antenna. Repair, maybe. I'd like to hear more on why the antenna is suspect. I've a couple that have been up over 15 years with no problems. The only problems I've ever had with an ERI were a result of lightning strikes on a tower that the landlord refused to properly ground and the "lightning rod" had burned off. Between the mains and backups, I've got 6 ERI's in the air right now. One of those has been on an 8400 foot mt, for 20+ years. I installed one at the top of the tower in a high lightning southern city on a mt top 25 years ago that's still doing fine.

I too have several stations that use ERI antennas, and agree that they are generally bullet proof. There are numerous examples in our area that are 20+ years old and still performing as good as when they were first installed. This particular antenna has been a lemon, and I also don't understand either why ERI is unable diagnose and repair it. I was not on site when ERI was there doing the work, nor have I seen the report.

Given the track record this particular antenna has had, the station is looking for alternative manufactures. It looks like SWR is going to get the nod.

Thanks to all who offered comments and opinions.

Aside from ERI, I have installed a lot of SWRs with no problems. They are an excellent, low cost choice. The Nicoms are also very good and nicely broadband. The power divider is slightly more than a harness, but it's a more elegant solution because it will match anything. PSI has been good as well. One PSI on a class A failed after about 6 years, but they were extremely responsive and sent upgrades at no extra cost when the antenna was rebuilt.

For low power I have used Nicom's wide band stuff and had good luck, one made it through an hurricane and still worked well!
And they are CHEAP!
That said I prefer ERI or Jampro as long as budget is available.

I have seen several suggestions for Nicom. I have only seen one of their antennas, and it was a mess mechanically. This was a four bay, and after about eight years of service, the nuts that are welded into the ends of the tubing on the elements for the tuning stubs failed, and six of the eight tuning stubs were missing. I was a little surprised, since the rest of the antenna was stainless steel. I replaced that antenna with a PSI, and have had great results, but I am a little worried about the company since their website is in such disarray. Thanks once again.

If it is going to come down anyway, why not bring it down now and do a close ground inspection/tear down before making a major purchase?

kberlen said:
Given the track record this particular antenna has had, the station is looking for alternative manufactures. It looks like SWR is going to get the nod.

So Kevin, enlighten us as to why a 5 year old ERI antenna is so problematic. I, among others, are interested since I have had 20 year old ERI antennas with no problems.

Inquiring minds want to know. Did it take a lightning hit? Never heard of a defective ERI.Good suggestion by special ed.Did you call ERI for their report on the antenna since you mentioned they looked at it.

Speaking from a manufacturer's perspective: Sometimes a particular unit is just a klunker. This should not happen, but it does. Over the years, I've collected a dozen examples of boards that look good, test good, but have intermittent faults that are hard enough to find that it's just not worth fooling with them anymore.

In the case of an antenna, maybe it's something like an imperceptible crack or hole or a very slightly warped flange. If the antenna blows up every 2-3 years and no cause can be pinpointed, it's got to be replaced because the cost of service exceeds the cost of a new antenna by the second or third event.

If you still like ERI, I'd call them up and explain that you like them but this antenna is clearly defective and the problem's got to stop. Ask what they're prepared to do about it. They may do nothing, or they may offer a free replacement or a deep discount on another antenna. That might be a good outcome.

Re: Nicom and OMB are cheep

the Nicom BKG-77 is the best chocie as they carry 1000. watts are like jampros slant Vees and cost less then any I can think of you might still use your old power divider

Are you sure the transmitter is not occasionally putting a spur out that might cause acing in the antenna?
I've seen that happen. The spur was 2 MHz away from carrier and only 10 dB down. Even the VSWR was near normal maybe due to the sample location.

Re:I would like to buy your old Nicom please

we would buy your BKG-77m not the lower power BKG-88 if you would replys please I am Allen service eng for station in ga

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom