• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Suggestions & Concerns, Concerns & Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I have a little bit of a bone to pick with Mr...FrankBerry, is it? Anywho.

First of all, I thank you for your work on moderating this site. It sounds like hard work to manage any board, albeit one dedicated to the radio and broadcasting professions. Thanks for caring enough to do that hard work.

Now, here's the part of the post where I get into certain concerns, LOL.

In the market discussion part of the forum, there was recently a mention of IHeart Chicago's new "Brilliantly Black" initiative. With the discussion turning to the name of the endeavor, user "Cotton Belt" expressed his disagreement with the "Black Lives Matter" movement. In subsequent remarks, "CB" opined that we are losing our freedoms, and cautioned that we need to "wake the hell up".

To this, you replied as such:

We do not permit these kinds of racist remarks on this website. Take your racism elsewhere.

and locked the thread/banned the user.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see anything in CB's statement that is inherently racist. Let's review for a moment.

The user attempted to explain what he saw as happening, and the tactics that certain political/political activist groups are using. The second to last line of the message notwithstanding, he didn't make any kind of "true threat" (that is, an actual threat of physical harm, with clear and demonstrable intent to engage in such actions) of harm to anyone.

(Note: There was more to this, but it has mysteriously disappeared. The point I'm trying to make is that CB was engaging in free speech...all Americans are supposed to able to do that. As such, I don't think his ban is justified, and I ask for its reconsideration)

The overtone of the post(s) were ugly with racist intent. They were offensive to many.

(Note: There was more to this, but it has mysteriously disappeared. The point I'm trying to make is that CB was engaging in free speech...all Americans are supposed to able to do that. As such, I don't think his ban is justified, and I ask for its reconsideration)

Further...

"Free speech" applies to public places ranging from a speaker on the town square to starting a newspaper.

It does not apply to private businesses, spaces or even websites.

The old legal example that free speech does not protect yelling fire in a theater applies. Free speech does not apply because of endangerment and because the owner of private property can set their own rules. In current situations, a privately owned store can put a mask rule in effect, and nobody has the "freedom" to not wear one.

I understand your reasoning. However, this is a radio broadcasting site, and we have the responsibility to keep the content within both certain boundaries and civil norms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom