• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Stunting in New York City Radio

There is interesting stunting on WMVX Cleveland (http://www.mix1065.com/) . Until Monday at 7:30 AM when a new format will be introduced they are stunting by playing music in just about every genre. Speculation on the new format is being discussed in the Cleveland folder and should not be considered here. I am trying to recall some of the stunting in between formats in New York radio history. The following come to mind:

1. In February 1996 after Country music stopped on 103.5 FM, for a week every day a different Chancellor Media station from other cities where aired until the change to WKTU was announced.

2. Later in 1996 Mix 105 played Broadway music from Broadway shows before becoming The Buzz.

3. Between format changes WNEW-FM became a contemporary hits station for a few months.

4. For about an hour between oldies and Jack WCBS-FM stunted.

Can anybody recall any other stunting in NYC radio history?

Bruce

A lot of people thought Jack was an extended stunt, or prank on NYC listeners, that backfired......
until saner and smarter heads prevailed. (The joke was really on the former bosses of the CBS radio division...who became former bosses largely as a result of it and other similar mistakes.)

BruceS8852 said:
1. In February 1996 after Country music stopped on 103.5 FM, for a week every day a different Chancellor Media station from other cities where aired until the change to WKTU was announced.

That was the best. Can anyone remember all five stations? I know the answer - I'll only fill in the blanks on the cities: Chicago (Monday/Wednesday), Los Angeles (Tuesday), San Francisco (Thursday) and Boston (Friday).

BruceS8852 cont'd said:
2. Later in 1996 Mix 105 played Broadway music from Broadway shows before becoming The Buzz.

3. Between format changes WNEW-FM became a contemporary hits station for a few months.

Even 105.1 had a similar stunt between its phases as, I wanna say, "The Buzz" and "Big 105". They were "New York's Modern Hits - FM 105.1" - under the revamped WNSR call letters.

BruceS8852 cont'd said:
4. For about an hour between oldies and Jack WCBS-FM stunted.

One could argue that it was the reverse, as well, with the yearly time capsules leading up to the relaunch at 1:01 PM with The Beach Boys' "Do It Again." (Hmmm, I wonder if that was the same song that CBS-FM in Uganda played when they returned to the air this year? ::) )

BruceS8852 said:
And it actually got ratings!

I believe 107.1 stunted both before and after the "Y-107 New Country" format. Before, as "TV Radio", playing TV theme songs (or at least on WWZY Long Branch, NJ they did), and afterwards, a loop of construction site sound effects with an announcement in Spanish to the effect that they were "building a brand new radio station", the failed Big City "La Rumba" format.

Down the NJ shore a bit more, the former Easy Listening 95.9 WADB-FM (the very last of its kind in the area!!) stunted by playing the reggae song "Rat In The Kitchen" over and over again, before becoming rock station WRAT.

92.3 aired a montage of old Z100 jingles before Now launched

102.7 aired Christmas music for months as "The New 102.7" before Mix launched on December 26, 2003.

The station in Cleveland was soft AC until it started to play Christmas music. Looking back to WNEW-FM, there is a precedent for a station to play Christmas music before making a format change.

In my opinion, a failed format is not stunting.

Happy New Year

Bruce

satech said:
I believe 107.1 stunted both before and after the "Y-107 New Country" format. Before, as "TV Radio", playing TV theme songs (or at least on WWZY Long Branch, NJ they did)...

I can confirm that the former "X-107" WRGX (now WXPK "107.1 The Peak") aired that very same stunt.

BruceS8852 said:
The station in Cleveland was soft AC until it started to play Christmas music. Looking back to WNEW-FM, there is a precedent for a station to play Christmas music before making a format change.

One minor correction - WMVX Cleveland was a rock-leaning Hot AC "Mix 106.5" before doing Christmas music. It had not been soft AC for at least 6 years or so... maybe longer.

Now, for the record, it is "106.5 The Lake, We Play Anything"...

DToTheJ said:
BruceS8852 said:

That was the best. Can anyone remember all five stations? I know the answer - I'll only fill in the blanks on the cities: Chicago (Monday/Wednesday), Los Angeles (Tuesday), San Francisco (Thursday) and Boston (Friday).

I know the station from chicago was rock 103.5 right ???

Before the sign on of AAA 107.1 WXPK "The Peak" back in April 2004, they stunted with a weekend of comedy clips.......106.3 WFAF before it started simulcasting 101.5 WPDH did a weekend of funny famous movie quotes/clips.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom