• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Strawberry's Akon Interview/Mac and Gaydos Coverage

602talk

Strawberry's Akon interview this morning was horrid. Not entertaining at all. He sounds like a rookie. I think that might've been his first interview ever. And that new girl Vanessa sounds like she's got the personality of a rock. And who the hell is GMO? His sexy traffic reports are so annoying. Who thinks that's entertainment? I change the station everytime I hear it. It definitely sounds like CBS is saving a ton of money in that department.

Speaking of shows that suck, Mac and Gaydos coverage of the 8yr old killer this afternoon was a complete trainwreck. All they did was air boring courtroom audio that made me want to stab myself in the ear. They didn't take calls from listeners at all. Who cares if people are pissed that evidence was released to the media!! That's what they ranted about instead of taking calls and getting on topic which should've been "what should happen to the 8yr. old killer?". Is it that hard? Russ needs to replace that show, or at least get rid of Gaydos. His execution sucks and the things he says are idiotic. But hey, that's how he rolls.

602talk said:
Strawberry's Akon interview this morning was horrid. Not entertaining at all. He sounds like a rookie. I think that might've been his first interview ever. And that new girl Vanessa sounds like she's got the personality of a rock. And who the hell is GMO? His sexy traffic reports are so annoying. Who thinks that's entertainment? I change the station everytime I hear it. It definitely sounds like CBS is saving a ton of money in that department.

Speaking of shows that suck, Mac and Gaydos coverage of the 8yr old killer this afternoon was a complete trainwreck. All they did was air boring courtroom audio that made me want to stab myself in the ear. They didn't take calls from listeners at all. Who cares if people are pissed that evidence was released to the media!! That's what they ranted about instead of taking calls and getting on topic which should've been "what should happen to the 8yr. old killer?". Is it that hard? Russ needs to replace that show, or at least get rid of Gaydos. His execution sucks and the things he says are idiotic. But hey, that's how he rolls.

I guess you need to send in a demo, then, and take his place.

I'll be waiting over here.

But not holding my breath.

I agree with 602. Who cares about a story that's already so old and has been played and replayed ad nauseum? Having that type of audio on radio while driving home in traffic is a sure way to get drivers to switch to one of the other 50 stations that can be heard in the Valley. The object of radio programmers is to keep listeners from doing that.I don't see how 602's comment construes "bitterness". If you don't like anything negative said about KTAR, then mention something good instead.

602talk said:

Strawberry has no control of what CBS decides to do with the station. Give the dude a chance. New morning show, new dynamics involved and I'm sure he's giving it his best to work with what he has. Every new show deserves a chance to grow. If you don't like what you hear, just change the station or throw a CD on.

602talk said:

Looks like Crazy Kid wants one of his old jobs back. If he complains about the way they are driving the vans at Y-95 we will have a positive ID.

I thought Mac, Gaydos and the rest of KTAR did a good job of covering the hearing and going over the tapes. There was a lot of information to get out and they did an excellent job scrubbing the tapes for immediate release. Lots of good remarks from Aunt Carlos and Kevin Tripp.

Btw- I especially enjoyed hearing Mike Watkiss discuss the case with Evil Joe Crummey. KTAR is all over this story.

Where was the KFYI reporter?

Inside Radio Insider said:
602talk said:

Looks like Crazy Kid wants one of his old jobs back. If he complains about the way they are driving the vans at Y-95 we will have a positive ID.

It's been a long time since I've posted anything on this board. So long in fact that I don't even know the username or password that I had used. With that in mind I'd like to make it very clear that I have nothing to do with the above mentioned criticisms.

For the record I think Gaydos and Mac sound great on the air. I've watched Gaydos take direction, work relentlessly to become a better host and now excel in a new position. I couldn't be happier for him. Russ made a great move by putting them together and the show is going to thrive. I've met Mac a couple of times and he's a great person and a very good host. I hope to learn all I can from him in the future.

On the subject of 101.5. Strawberry and Sugabear are both excellent jocks and friends of mine. We all know that in radio there are very few people from each station you work at who become lifelong friends. Straw and Suga Bear are definately two that I hope to keep. As I've stated on my blog, in person, and will reiterate here. I wish nothing but the best for everyone at 101.5 Jamz. I'm in a better spot today because of the opportunity I was given and I appreciate the way our lay-off was handled.

I enjoy many of the posts/posters on this board and reading their views. However, the constant anonymous bickering, backstabbing, trashtalking, griping, whining, etc. is one of the things that's killing this industry. Those of you who are still in the game really should take a time out and appreciate those around you who are fighting the same fight. Radio has been in a serious decline on the listeners radars for several years now. With internet radio soon to be available in cars and other technological advances AM and FM radio will see the most serious threat to it's relevance in the very near future. Sure some criticisms that are posted on this board are valid. And as someone who's been on both sides of the spectrum when it comes to critisism or praise I can appreciate it. However, the hate that is displayed or the juvenile, disrespectful comments really say more about the person making the post than that of the person the post is directed to.

In conclusion, you're not going to hear me saying anything bad about KTAR or KZON (or any other station or jock/host for that matter). KZON and KTAR were experiences that I learned so much from, gained new friends, grew as a person and I will forever be greatful for the opportunities.

I had a dream as a kid to be a morning radio jock in the Valley. I was able to achieve that goal. Now I've moved on and I'd appreciate it if you would too.

Darin Damme
"Kid"
[email protected]

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom