• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Steve White Out At 790

E

E.L

Lebatard let everyone know via Twitter that Marc Hochman is the new PD. Also Sedano made mention of it on his show this morning.

A very good move by the station....about time. Davis made a good choice in Hochman.

You guys are pretty naive...this is a move by LF to save a salary - fire Steve White and give Hochman the title and responsibilty with no extra pay. That's the way radio operators are running their business these.these days...less people doing more work..everyone is doing this - CC, Cox, Beasley. Krystal Fernandez from 790 is also leaving at the end of the month - that's another salary that they're saving that won't be replaced. That station is bleeding money, won't be around a year from now...in that sports-radio format.

roxy23 said:
You guys are pretty naive...this is a move by LF to save a salary - fire Steve White and give Hochman the title and responsibilty with no extra pay. That's the way radio operators are running their business these.these days...less people doing more work..everyone is doing this - CC, Cox, Beasley. Krystal Fernandez from 790 is also leaving at the end of the month - that's another salary that they're saving that won't be replaced. That station is bleeding money, won't be around a year from now...in that sports-radio format.

I love how there are certain people on this board who speak so matter of factly. We're going on 5 years that 790 will go away. Roxy do yourself a favor you & your cronies need to give it up already. That station isn't going anywhere. I worked in sales for 20 years in thsi market. Know that cluster very well. 790 is in the black. It's actually QAM who's in the red.

whatever dude...the facts are the facts...they are cutting salaries every which way they can to stay afloat...on the programming side Steve White (who did an excellent job and was terminated strictly for budgetary reasons), Kevin Rogers, Krystal Fernandez all in the last year. They have run through more than 20 different sales people in the last 3 years. Why is that sir? Because they can't make a living!!! If you are such a sales guy, have you ever listened to their stop sets and compare them to QAM? 790 is almost all direct-response advertising which as I'm sure you know as the expert in sales that you are is the bottom feeder business...now compare that with the advertising you hear on QAM? Hear the difference Mr. 20 year veteran??? Nothing is perfect, not anywhere and especially now but deal with reality, will you please?

roxy23 said:
whatever dude...the facts are the facts...they are cutting salaries every which way they can to stay afloat...on the programming side Steve White (who did an excellent job and was terminated strictly for budgetary reasons), Kevin Rogers, Krystal Fernandez all in the last year. They have run through more than 20 different sales people in the last 3 years. Why is that sir? Because they can't make a living!!! If you are such a sales guy, have you ever listened to their stop sets and compare them to QAM? 790 is almost all direct-response advertising which as I'm sure you know as the expert in sales that you are is the bottom feeder business...now compare that with the advertising you hear on QAM? Hear the difference Mr. 20 year veteran??? Nothing is perfect, not anywhere and especially now but deal with reality, will you please?

There's no question QAM has many more agency buys on their station. But you are misinformed a bit. QAM desperately needs that business b/c their overheard is outrageous. Hence why they are the one's bleeding money every month. WAXY's overhead is infinitely smaller because they only have several hosts making money there. Kevin Rogers was let go in a cost cutting move. Much like Damon Amendolara was being paid per show at QAM as opposed to salary. Such as Brian the Beast London was a casualty. Neil Rogers & Jorge Rodriguez weren't cost cutting moves? Krystal Fernandez is leaving b/c she's involved with a former athlete in Los Angeles and from the likes of it is getting married. This per the blogosphere giant SportsbyBrooks. Steve White was fired for incompetence not for financial reasons. He made many mistakes while at 790. If you listen to their station the audience will tell you about it themselves.

The point is this Joel Feinberg had many more expenses and still came close to breaking even while having to pay an LMA every month. LF has no LMA overhead and a smaller staff with a morning show that competes toe to toe w/ QAM's in PPM world and an afternoon show that blows the doors off what WQAM puts on. Once, they put back a mid day show (which I presume will happen in the coming weeks/months) they'll continue to dominate QAM in the ratings. Since, PPM was unveiled WAXY has still been the higher rated station overall. Now, based on the way things are going these days that's like being the beauty queen at celebrity fit club. But, those are still the facts.

WAXY's sales staff is diminished for many reasons. One of which is they're still weeding through the Feinberg leftovers. As far as turnover among sales staffs are concerned go to any cluster in this market or any market. There are 3 or 4 reps who make ton of money and the rest all shift around to the different companies. That's common place everywhere. Though, the point is QAM out bills them b/c they have to. WAXY makes money. Even now with their sales as depleted as it is. WQAM does not. Those are facts. If you truly knew anything about the market, sales or programming then you would already know that to be true.

You can dismiss my facts all you want "DUDE", but they are indisputable. After 5 years of the demise of WAXY you sure might get it right eventually. Maybe in another 5 years.

You should spend more time discussing the demise of JCR or even CC. I mean that's a much safer bet. Though, those guys seem to survive a nuclear holocaust much like roaches. Especially, Lapa and that bunch they have over there. Wonder if they have insurance yet?

I tend to agree with Roxy. I think Steve White did an outstanding job and was let go for purely financial reasons. Also, I've got to believe that with Neil, Hank and others gone WQAM's expenses are a fraction of what they used to be. The two stations should probably merge into one...they'd be in great shape!

DJ Oldschool said:
I tend to agree with Roxy. I think Steve White did an outstanding job and was let go for purely financial reasons. Also, I've got to believe that with Neil, Hank and others gone WQAM's expenses are a fraction of what they used to be. The two stations should probably merge into one...they'd be in great shape!

If you listen to that station you'd know how poor of a job Steve White did. The talent used to kill him & so did the audience. There were also a few former sales folk who I worked with at Cox who were less then pleased with him. But, I will agree on your last comment. They should just merge into one station. It could be one of the best in the country if they did that.

Joe Rose 6-10, Sedano 10-1, Sid 1-4, LeBatard 4-7, Big O at night. I'd listen. Add in the QAM Sales Department, the Dolpins and Malins and it would be a great station.
Though I'm not sure I'd keep either Howard Davis or Jolly Joe as GM!

DJ Oldschool said:
Joe Rose 6-10, Sedano 10-1, Sid 1-4, LeBatard 4-7, Big O at night. I'd listen. Add in the QAM Sales Department, the Dolpins and Malins and it would be a great station.
Though I'm not sure I'd keep either Howard Davis or Jolly Joe as GM!

Not bad except for Rose in the mornings. That guy is terminal. So tired of his sickening homerism and never met a buck I didn't like schtick.

Steve White was handicapped by budget cuts at that station over the past year. He was forced to put Colin Cowherd on 10a-1p to save money and do a show himself 1p-3p to save money too...he did not get paid anything extra. The only money that station is spending are the salaried for LeBatard and Sedano. Steve White did a very good job getting the most out of a station that has given him little to work with, he was the best PD that station has had in their 5 years. Sid leaving the station has really hurt...and that wasn't his call. You think that wasn't budget related???

White was clueless and word is his firing had nothing to do with budgets. Almost every move he made was bad and no one respected him over there. He was the best PD in South Florida sports radio but unfortunately that doesn't say much for the state of PDs down here. The move to Hochman is a positive move for the station.

has anyone else had an issue getting their stream? I get the box loaded, the show starts, then quits. Not sure if its my computer or their stream

It just dawned on me....WQAM traded Hank Goldberg and jason Jackson to 790 for Sid Rosenberg. I wonder if there are any future draft picks involved?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom