• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Steve Raible Cutting Back at Kiro TV

Except Wagner has been a primary anchor from 5:30 to 7:00 (awkward scheduling) for the past two years plus. So this is not a surprise. Wagner is apparently becoming the head anchor at KIRO. Not a bad move, as he is quite good. Raible is good, but may be setting the stage for a lessor role. Touchdown Seahawks!!!

Last edited:
Except Wagner has been a primary anchor from 5:30 to 7:00 (awkward scheduling) for the past two years plus. So this is not a surprise. Wagner is apparently becoming the head anchor at KIRO. Not a bad move, as he is quite good. Raible is good, but may be setting the stage for a lessor role. Touchdown Seahawks!!!

Is Monique anchoring the 11 solo?

As I've noted before ... in an era where everyone is cutting costs and trying to find their next anchor plucked out of market 75 - Dave Wagner is an example what a top quality, mid to late career anchor you can find in the free agent market.

He is 65, so keep that in mind. Good for him. I hope he will continue to have a KIRO presence for at least a few more years...especially with his Seahawks job.

When they brought on Dave Wagner, I was wondering if and when Steve Raible would retire. He has had a great run at KIRO and cutting back at 65 makes a lot of sense. I also wonder what the new owners will do with KIRO -- certainly I hope they will try to make it more competitive.

I think Kiro is positioned to upgrade whoever ends up owning them. They have a good facility and a good set and probably need to bring back the “eyewitness news” moniker which is the history of the channel.

I think Kiro is positioned to upgrade whoever ends up owning them. They have a good facility and a good set and probably need to bring back the “eyewitness news” moniker which is the history of the channel.

Dude, that's so old school. Now the catch phases/slogans are:

1. On your side.
2. Live, Local, Breaking.
3. Working For You.
4. Your News Source
5. Above and Beyond
6. Alive
7. Always A Headline Ahead
8. At the Speed of Life
9. At Your Service
10. Because the Action Never Stops
11. Count On Us

Don't forget KIMA Yakima's Action News and 'Taking [not] Action for You'. Yuck. Their presentation makes KIRO look like BBC News in comparison. Albeit I don't think KOMO is using the Working for You slogan, post-Fisher buyout.
KNDU here uses 'Expect more!' A little generic. At least they look better than KIMA and our local ABC station, KAPP. Which I don't think uses any type of slogan. However they are touting right now as the 'back-to-school station', geared towards teachers and school staff beginning their day with Good Morning Northwest.

Don't forget KIMA Yakima's Action News and 'Taking [not] Action for You'. Yuck. Their presentation makes KIRO look like BBC News in comparison. Albeit I don't think KOMO is using the Working for You slogan, post-Fisher buyout.
KNDU here uses 'Expect more!' A little generic. At least they look better than KIMA and our local ABC station, KAPP. Which I don't think uses any type of slogan. However they are touting right now as the 'back-to-school station', geared towards teachers and school staff beginning their day with Good Morning Northwest.

I don't think any of those small Eastern WA. stations can afford to pay news consultants like AR&D to research and come up with a copyrighted slogan. Working For You was an AR&D recommendation.

Dude, that's so old school. Now the catch phases/slogans are:

1. On your side.
2. Live, Local, Breaking.
3. Working For You.
4. Your News Source
5. Above and Beyond
6. Alive
7. Always A Headline Ahead
8. At the Speed of Life
9. At Your Service
10. Because the Action Never Stops
11. Count On Us[/QUOTE

Well old school is my middle name! But many large markets still use this moniker so I’m not sure it is quite dead yet.

And bring back the "newsroom" set from the 1980's along with the "KIRO News Jet" (although I suppose the newest member of the newsteam would be the "KIRO News Drone"). Oh yes, and don't forget the "fanfare" theme music.

And bring back the "newsroom" set from the 1980's along with the "KIRO News Jet" (although I suppose the newest member of the newsteam would be the "KIRO News Drone"). Oh yes, and don't forget the "fanfare" theme music.

sarcasm aside some of the “classics” still work!

The Enforcer music package was dropped by Kiro a few years ago. Why? It stands up as a familiar news theme. Kiro imo should bring it back pronto. Why? Because it works.

Last edited:
I can hum those opening notes of CBS Enforcer in my sleep...
I also miss the old Signature package. The new one is modern and nice, but if that's the way to go, it's the way to go.
None of the other Seattle stations have their 2000s news music packages either. KOMO's ABC Affiliate News Package combined with the booming voice of Al Vanik...'First 4 Local News!' Classic. Then I start reminiscing about Dan & Kathi...one of the best anchor teams Seattle ever had IMO.

This is so off-topic but I liked both "News Now" and "Signature" at KIRO better than "Enforcer."

http://www.southernmedia-nmsa.com/#2,1,13

Not really off topic. It's all about KIRO, a TV station that was ahead of their time, copying KABC in 1969, and copying WBBM in 1981 with the newsroom format. They were always ahead of the market in that sense. I think the new ownership will create some challenges, but they still offer the best set in the market, imo. Graphics can be improved, promoting a bolder look. As Raible steps back, we will probably will see Wagner more often, and that isn't a bad thing. I think KIRO is the best station to be most improved in the next year or so.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom