• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Starlink: How's it working in rural Alaska for me?

It's made KSKO's webstreaming and STL feed much more stable and unlike when Viasat going out, no matter how short the outage, I'd have to restart the Briclink to reconnect to our stream.. I havent had to do that once with Starlink.

Speeds, even when the system slows down, have gotten faster.. latency isnt quite as high and top seeds have gotten higher

If you have crappy Viasat or hughesnet and have to run reduced bandwith because of that or you have cruddy DSL.. Starlink is absolutely a good option for main ISP service if youre in a situation like mine.

It would be very worthy as a back up too. Attached are two images showing downtown (7 secs in 12 hours).. but its so short I never notice!! Also, a graphic showing ping time and speed

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Last edited:
And, Starlink performs even better when not stuck in a bucket

@Kelly A i dont know how many different ways I Can tell you, I literally have zero obstructions according to both my naked eye and starlinks app, the service has less then 30 seconds of outages in 24 hours.. often less then 20, and theyre so short I never notice them

Thats pretty damn good for doing it by myself without any tools

If i put it up on the roof, i would have no marked increase in performance and if it needed work over the winter, like the cable goes bad.. id have a hell of a time working on it on the roof covered in ice and snow.

Not bad, does that include a static IP? I do know of several broadcasters using Star Link at the Transmitter site as a main/backup IP Audio and HTTP access. Considering the cost of old T1and even equalized broadcast loops not a bad deal.

Not bad, does that include a static IP? I do know of several broadcasters using Star Link at the Transmitter site as a main/backup IP Audio and HTTP access. Considering the cost of old T1and even equalized broadcast loops not a bad deal.

No, dont need one.

The $140 is for the residential plan. Commercial plan with something like five reserved IP's is $220 a month.

Back
Top Bottom