• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Star 94 Hires Night Personality

Star 94 has hired Donny Michaels for 7PM to midnight. He starts on November 10.

Michaels has been part of a morning show in Albany, NY. Prior to that, he worked at 2 Miami stations, including the legendary Y100.

Although nights had been live with Ali Mac, I was expecting morning show traffic reporter Checka Cee to voice-track the shift. I'm pleasantly surprised they hired someone with the experience of Donny Michaels to do it live.

Last edited:
Just an added note about Donny...He and Marino both worked at wspk in the hudson valley area of NY....great station which is one of the few smaller market stations that still produces major market jocks like these two....both of these guys are great talents and great people...should make for a tremendous station.

I had a chance to hear pieces of Donny's show Thursday and Friday. Naturally he's still getting comfortable, but my initial impression: quiet coup for Star 94. Sounds like they hired a real personality to be...a real personality. He really livens up the daypart, both for the station and particularly for a market where most music stations now seem to half-ass nights, quite frankly. Yes, I know listening levels drop off after 7, but the disparity in quality between Star and the other stations was pretty stark to my ears the last few nights.

Star hasn't had an easy road over the last 18 months. But this latest move underscores why I always find myself coming back to them. They're a living, breathing radio station that actually cares about the details in an era of sanitized, generic product. No doubt about it, the station has its weaknesses. And its two closest competitors have improved dramatically over the last 5 years, at the beginning of which both were borderline atrocious. Let's be honest, though. One can ride the coattails of its larger-than-life (and though it's not my taste, admittedly deserving) morning show (Q100), and the other can ride the coattails of its significant at-work listening advantage (B98.5). Both sound solid enough, but outside of 6-10 on Q100, neither sound inspired. Star, at its best, does. For the medium's good, I hope the field stays this competitive - but I do wish good things for Star as we enter 2015.

What Star does in mornings will be interesting and probably play a big role in whatever happens to them next year. Personally, I think they need a whole new morning show with the exception of Rob Stadler.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom