• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Star 101.3 and editing rap out of songs

I was listening to Star 101.3 on Friday at 10am and noticed something odd about their playlist. 101.3 played three songs that have rap verses in them, but only two of them actually contained the rap.
When the station played "Umbrella" by Rihanna, I noticed that Jay-Z's rap verse was edited out. It turns out they might have played this custom version that was never commercially released but intended for "adult contemporary" stations that do not allow rap, where the first few seconds are instrumental to allow for a DJ voiceover. (Here is the original album version.)
Yet in the same hour, 101.3 also played two rap songs - "Stereo Hearts" by Gym Class Heroes featuring Adam Levine and "I'll Be Missing You" by Puff Daddy featuring Faith Evans and 112. And I've even heard MC Hammer's "U Can't Touch This" on 101.3 a couple weeks back.
In my experience listening to Bay Area radio I've sometimes heard stations outside of 94.9 and 106.1 playing "rap-free" versions of songs. For example, 98.1 (when it was Kiss FM) played a butchered version of OutKast's "The Way You Move" without any of the rap verses, just the sung parts!
Others may have a better answer than I do, but I suspect that iHeart/Clear Channel required the "non rap" version of "Umbrella" for the "adult contemporary"/"soft pop" stations (while allowing the top-40/rap stations to play the version that has Jay Z) and continues to require it today even if AC stations can still play "U Can't Touch This" or "Stereo Hearts". The Jay Z verse in "Umbrella" has no content issues (like sex, drugs, violence) that would have caused potential listener complaints.

You can’t really get away with playing “Stereo Hearts” or “I’ll Be Missing You” without playing the rap, unless you just play the choruses. You can get away without playing the Jay Z part of “Umbrella”. Keep in mind they may be doing this to reduce overlap with, say, co-owned KYLD.

If you think that bad, you should listen to "Killing me Softy" by The Fugees, their edit version is horrible. If you hear, "Strumming my pain with his fingers. Singing my life with his words. Killing me softly with his song. Killing me softly with his song. Telling my whole life with his words. Killing me softly. With his song." They use the beginning/intro chorus of the song after the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd verse of the song instead of the regular uptempo beat of the chorus. You don't hear the background voice of "one time, two time" during the song.

If you think that bad, you should listen to "Killing me Softy" by The Fugees, their edit version is horrible. If you hear, "Strumming my pain with his fingers. Singing my life with his words. Killing me softly with his song. Killing me softly with his song. Telling my whole life with his words. Killing me softly. With his song." They use the beginning/intro chorus of the song after the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd verse of the song instead of the regular uptempo beat of the chorus. You don't hear the background voice of "one time, two time" during the song.
Also on Star 101.3, which is weird that they play the rap version (great Lisa "Left-eye Lopez) of the TLC "Waterfalls"

Back
Top Bottom