• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Spring book is out!

M

Mediafrog

Majic on top. Sunny slips. Box up a bit. Estereo Latino dropping...what's going on? KLOL continues to gain, although slightly. Is the Party over?...big drop, Mega finally getting to them? Oldies down. XO fading into oblivion. KROI gaining. And The Sports Animal is getting slaughtered. Comments?

> Majic on top. Sunny slips. Box up a bit. Estereo Latino
> dropping...what's going on? KLOL continues to gain,
> although slightly. Is the Party over?...big drop, Mega
> finally getting to them? Oldies down. XO fading into
> oblivion. KROI gaining. And The Sports Animal is getting
> slaughtered. Comments?
>

I think KLTN has a lot of competition right now. I think that explains their drop. I've seen KROI's van out and about and they are pounding the streets. Not to mention, I've seen a lot stickers for Piolin on 93.3, so their own sister station might be stealing from them. KLOL has definitely hurt Party 104.9. KRBE's ratings slump continues. I was impressed with KILT's share. They continue to hold off the Cox combo of KKBQ & KTHT (although if you combine their shares, they still top KILT). The Point gained slightly, but is still Pointless. Not such a great start for Cumulus, but it is the first book. I don't see much for long term improvement though. The numbers this time were fairly predictable though. No huge surprises. <P ID="signature">______________
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Lingers Long After The Sweetness of Low Price Is Long Forgotten.</P>

> And The Sports Animal is getting
> slaughtered. Comments?

I guess it turned out to be an ox rather than a bull . . . XD
<P ID="signature">______________
I listen to what I like.
Ratings be Damned.</P>

Re: Spring book is out! .. My thoughts..

I just dont see how Liberman is making money with the way the numbers are showing. Looks like he would flip something to see what happens. On the other hand, glad to see Most of my favorite stations are doing fairly well. I enjoy listening to Houston radio over the weekends, good that they do something diffrent on there stations. Up here in Central Texas radio, all is the same, sadly 98.5 the beat in San antonio is the only station you can turn to to find a mixshow on a friday // Saturday nights now, Up in Austin Hot 93 & 1043 both realy play the same playlists over and over. Something has happened up here to me seems like every radiostation has that same playlist since May. The only thing they added was maybe a few new hiphop songs that was already played in Houston long before. Plus a lot of the radiostations up here do a lot of BS.
jras20</P>

> > Majic on top. Sunny slips. Box up a bit. Estereo Latino
> > dropping...what's going on? KLOL continues to gain,
> > although slightly. Is the Party over?...big drop, Mega
> > finally getting to them? Oldies down. XO fading into
> > oblivion. KROI gaining. And The Sports Animal is getting
> > slaughtered. Comments?
> >
>
> I think KLTN has a lot of competition right now. I think
> that explains their drop. I've seen KROI's van out and
> about and they are pounding the streets. Not to mention,
> I've seen a lot stickers for Piolin on 93.3, so their own
> sister station might be stealing from them. KLOL has
> definitely hurt Party 104.9. KRBE's ratings slump
> continues. I was impressed with KILT's share. They
> continue to hold off the Cox combo of KKBQ & KTHT (although
> if you combine their shares, they still top KILT). The
> Point gained slightly, but is still Pointless. Not such a
> great start for Cumulus, but it is the first book. I don't
> see much for long term improvement though. The numbers this
> time were fairly predictable though. No huge surprises.
>
I agree the Spanish-language market has great deal of competition. Possibly there is an over saturation of stations geared at the Hispanic Community. Not to be contrary, but KRBE was up 0.2 this book. KRBE's ratings aren't what they were from the Fall '04 book and before, but KRBE has held steady in the number five slot for over two years, which is quite an accomplishment.

Three Company's that should be very happy.

Clear Channel with four stations in the top nine. KODA #2, KLOL #7, KTRH #8 and KTBZ-FM #9. They may be the Evil Empire, but I give them credit for making some wise choices. KLOL to Hurban was one of the best format changes in Houston in years. I hate to admit it, but KTRH dropping most all the news and going to a Talk station is paying off. I miss an all News station, but it was a business decision like KLOL.

Radio One with big gains for Magic 102, up 0.6 for first place; The Box up 0.5 for a solid number three slot and even KROI was up 0.2, they are in a tie for 24th place with KSEV. I just wonder if Radio One will stick with the KROI format or if the ratings are still in the low ones by Fall or the end of the year will they try one of the many missing formats that Houston is in need?

Cox Broadcasting with County KKBQ at #10, KTHT Country Legends tied with KPRC at #15, KLDE three way tie for #17 with KOVE and KTJM; and KHPT in #20 and up 0.3. With the exception of KTHT on occasion I don't listen to any of the Cox stations. Is Cox actually putting some effort into the stations finally and not just left to fill a frequency? I do know that KKBQ added a new morning show and KLDE has tweaked the playlist again, I don't have any first hand info on what Cox is doing. If they are still just sliding along without substantial improvement on their stations, they are one lucky Company, or Houston radio just plain sucks so bad that it doesn't really matter what you throw on the air.

Univision is on a downhill slide on all their stations, except KRTX-AM with Tejano, they are near the bottom the ratings, but for a suburban station with a 1000 watts day and 4000 watts at night that doesn't cover all of metro Houston, it is a very positive accomplishment. What is going on with Univision? KOVE-FM was a top ten station now tied for 17th, KLTN held the #1 spot for about two years straight is down to #4 and took a big dive this last book, down 0.7. I think KLTN is at the lowest ratings since moving to a Houston stick. Party down 0.3 and still sliding. Mega is doing a good job at siphoning off KPTY's listeners. KQBU down 0.3 and 21st place on one of the best rim shot signals in Houston, KTHT 97.1 Country Legends has the best rim shot signal of any.

Liberman Broadcasting is limping along with KTJM at #17 their first station to show in the ratings. All of LBI's stations were up very slightly, but with the exception of KTJM in the mid twos, I don't see how LBI even breaks even. KTJM also is a rim shot and we are all too familiar the signal quality of rim shot stations. KQQK-KIOX are headed for ratings oblivion, in the mid 0's. Could be Mega and a combination of two crappy signals into Houston that is killing "XO". KQUE-AM while in ratings hell, actually is doing very well for a station that doesn't cover more than ten miles at night and not probably more than 30 miles daytime. KEYH-AM back in the book at the very bottom with Tropical, but they had dropped out of sight for a while.

A few that I wasn't expecting:
#1 KMJQ UP 0.6 and #3 KBXX up 0.5, nice jumps for both stations.
#6 KILT-FM up 0.5 and 0.5 ahead of competitor KKBQ. When the heat is on, KILT-FM can pull it out of the fire.
#7 KLOL not a surprise in their rating, but if they continue their upward trend, they may be a top five station by the Summer Book.
#11 KPTY still dropping, down another 0.3. With The Box up 0.5 and Mega is The Party in big trouble?
#12 KHMX up 0.5 for the best ratings in well over a year. Is the format of the day paying off?
#13t KHJZ still Smooth Jazz, I wonder how much longer Infinity gives The Wave before it becomes Jack 95.7?
#15t KPRC-AM still on a downward trend. Apparently all the best talk shows went to KTRH. Maybe KPRC should try the local approach to Talk?
#15t KTHT Country Legends does really well for a jukebox.
#17t KOVE-FM down 0.4 and this was a top ten station.
#20 KHPT just getting ratings surprises me.
#27t KQQK still dropping, thought the station would make some changes and move back up.
#31t KFNC I don't know if the ratings are just for KFNC or KIOL's ratings are mixed in there. If KFNC made the ratings for just KFNC, I think there is hope for the station, especially if they were on a frequency where more than about 25% of the city can pick up the signal. If KFNC keeps going up and KIOL stays steady or drops, would Cumulus switch KFNC to 103.7 and send KIOL back down to the minors on 97.5?
#33t KBME tied for dead last. This may be the last time you see the KBME call letters in the ratings. I really didn't think The Sports Animal would do anywhere near this bad in the ratings, what is the problem?

I thought KXYZ-AM with Business News would make it into the ratings finally.

Mike O

> #33t KBME tied for dead last. This may be the last time you
> see the KBME call letters in the ratings.

Is KBME ever going to flip to 'progressive talk' as has been rumored for a long time?

> #13t KHJZ still Smooth Jazz, I wonder how much longer
> Infinity gives The Wave before it becomes Jack 95.7?

The Wave makes a lot of money. Its ratings in its demographics is very good! It always amazes me how much credence is put into ratings that cover Monday Through Sunday 6AM-Midnight Ages 12 PLUS!

The stations and advertisers look at the demos in which the stations represent.

AND NOW, a lesson for non-radio people: Its the breakdown that counts, not the overall ratings, Monday Through Sunday 6AM-Midnight Ages 12 PLUS!

By the way, if I was making $80,000 a year and I got a diary in the mail along with a 5 or 10 dollar bill, I wouldn't fill it out. Why? Because my time is worth well more than that. How many get those and pitch them? It's not a perfect system, but its the only one we have, at the moment.

> #33t KBME tied for dead last...I really didn't
> think The Sports Animal would do anywhere near this bad in
> the ratings, what is the problem?

The overall ratings for the Sports Animal are awful, but I'm curious how their 3-9pm local block (Charlie Palillo/Carl Dukes) does against 610. It's possible they're doing well in afternoon drive, but being dragged down by all the syndicated fare the rest of the day. And the 12+ numbers don't reflect the target demo, 25-54 males.

The Sports Animal needs a local morning show if they're going to be any real competition for 610...Clear Channel will eventually wake up to that fact, if they aren't planning it already. I don't see them pulling the plug on the sportstalk format for another year or so...they'll try to build on it and see what happens first.

> By the way, if I was making $80,000 a year and I got a diary
> in the mail along with a 5 or 10 dollar bill, I wouldn't
> fill it out. Why? Because my time is worth well more than
> that. How many get those and pitch them? It's not a perfect
> system, but its the only one we have, at the moment.
>
Now that the PPM methodology is soon to be trialed in Houston, should be interesting to see how the measured demographics are affected. I have a feeling that there are going to be some real surprises.

We shall soon see...

> > By the way, if I was making $80,000 a year and I got a
> diary
> > in the mail along with a 5 or 10 dollar bill, I wouldn't
> > fill it out. Why? Because my time is worth well more than
> > that. How many get those and pitch them? It's not a
> perfect
> > system, but its the only one we have, at the moment.
> >
> Now that the PPM methodology is soon to be trialed in
> Houston, should be interesting to see how the measured
> demographics are affected. I have a feeling that there are
> going to be some real surprises.

There were no surprises in Philadelphia. In fact the PPM proved that the diary works well.

> > #13t KHJZ still Smooth Jazz, I wonder how much longer
> > Infinity gives The Wave before it becomes Jack 95.7?
>
> The Wave makes a lot of money. Its ratings in its
> demographics is very good! It always amazes me how much
> credence is put into ratings that cover Monday Through
> Sunday 6AM-Midnight Ages 12 PLUS!
>
Sunny and The Wave serve basically the same audience, they are some what different musically and in delivery. Both are for waiting rooms and "at work listening", if you took that audience away from both stations they would join the other 50 stations that don't show in the ratings. It is true the 12+ numbers are not particularily important. You can follow some trends and get idea of how a station is doing overall and have a little fun with the numbers, at least I thought you could.

Infinity switching KHJZ to a Jack format is interesting. Last trend, even though The Wave was in the same statistical places as the Spring Book, it didn't matter according to some posts because Infinity was doing away with the old skewing stations and going for the younger "Jack" sound and a rating around a three didn't mean squat. Surprise The Wave is still here, even though it has half the 12+ numbers of chief competitor KODA. Sunny does have a huge edge at night with the local Love Songs show and Zoe Bonet that seems to appeal to a wide range of listeners in all categories.

The ratings that we get from various sources for 12+ are more for entertainment purposes than anything else and maybe each post pertaining to ratings should include that warning label. As many in radio and a great many that are not can tell the numbers can and are used in anyway that benefits a station. "Arbitron rated number one, K O D A" was used long after Sunny was not the #1 station in 12+, but somewhere in the ratings, be it transexuals that live in Fort Bend County or left handed watch repairmen in Galveston County, KODA was number one and could thus still say Arbitron rated #1. BFD.

There are another nearly 50 stations that do not show up in the ratings. Ten are non-comms and as was noted in a post from a gentleman at KSBJ, if 89.3 was listed in the ratings they would easily be the number five station. KACC 89.7 from Alvin could have more listeners than KIOL. KUHF 88.7 would very likely be in the top ten and beat KTRH in nearly every day part. KXYZ with Business News daytime doesn't have any reason to care about the ratings in 12+, they know their intended audience and so do the advertisers. I'm sure that KXYZ during the Business News hours does very well in listeners and spot load. I am not aware of a single station that is headed towards bankruptcy at this time.

Houston being a very diverse city has many nationalities (over 100) that call Houston home and are looking for an outlet for news and music of their homeland. Brokered Time stations on AM count for about ten stations that seem to always fill the hours with music and talk in many languages. The station selling the time makes the money and profit they need and the group or nationality that has their program on the air reaches others with similiar interests, even if it is only for a few hours once a week. In Houston if you don't want the hastle of programming a station, just sell the time slots and you'll stay on the air and make some money.
>
> The stations and advertisers look at the demos in which the
> stations represent.
>
> AND NOW, a lesson for non-radio people: Its the breakdown
> that counts, not the overall ratings, Monday Through Sunday
> 6AM-Midnight Ages 12 PLUS!
>
Great insight, but I highly doubt anyone on this board is not aware of that fact. I have found more people in radio that are unaware of that concept than those that post to this board.

> By the way, if I was making $80,000 a year and I got a diary
> in the mail along with a 5 or 10 dollar bill, I wouldn't
> fill it out. Why? Because my time is worth well more than
> that. How many get those and pitch them? It's not a perfect
> system, but its the only one we have, at the moment.
>
Anyone who should get a diary and toss it, shouldn't bitch about what is on the radio. That was their chance to cast a vote for their listening preferences.

Mike O

> Sunny and The Wave serve basically the same audience,

I disagree. Some yes, but not the same. I can't reveal that because that would be discussing inside information which I can't do. You will just have to take my word for it. If they do switch, then they switch. I have no control over that.

> The ratings that we get from various sources for 12+ are
> more for entertainment purposes than anything else.......

Only acknowledgeed after I pointed it out. John Davis, another broadcast professional agreed with me. See post above for further details.

> BFD?

Yes it is. The breakdowns are the only important ratings.

>I have found more people in radio that are unaware of that concept than those that post to this board.

I disagree. I know alot of people in radio who knows and understand this concept. That was meant to educate and inform the people not in this business.

> Anyone who should get a diary and toss it, shouldn't bitch
> about what is on the radio. That was their chance to cast a
> vote for their listening preferences.

That wasn't my point. My point was to point out a major flaw in that system.

See my post above about Rush being #2 in 12 plus. There are some demos I've posted for those of you who do not understand.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by ChuckTiller on 07/29/05 09:09 PM.</FONT></P>

> I was impressed with KILT's share. They
> continue to hold off the Cox combo of KKBQ & KTHT
>(although
> if you combine their shares, they still top KILT).

Must be New Math if KILT can hold off a combo yet the combo's numbers exceed KILT's...

...co-moderator of the Satellite Radio, Phoenix, and San Diego boards...</P>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom