• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Sports on FM ?

superjj said:
When will SF have an FM sports station, and who is most likely to do it ?
My guess would be Cumulus, since they own a couple of Sports Stations on the AM dial as well a few FM stations. But I doubt it would happen.

San Diego had an FM with sports but it failed so they went to an all oldies format

Madmansam said:
superjj said:
My guess would be Cumulus, since they own a couple of Sports Stations on the AM dial as well a few FM stations. But I doubt it would happen.

Never say never! Sports on FM is catching on in many markets as is news and talk. You already have the KCBS all-news simulcast in SF. CBS is looking to establish more sports stations on FM. 105.3 could be next since they already have the Raiders' rights.

Cumulus will soon be in a position to take KGO and KNBR to FM if they choose to do so. KCBS' successful all-news simulcast serves as an example of what's possible. Radio is a copycat business as are so many others. :)

jprg said:
San Diego had an FM with sports but it failed so they went to an all oldies format

The San Diego station was a simulcast of an AM sports station, on a Tijuana, BCN, Mexico, signal. It didn't fail... they just figured that they could make better use of the FM in a music format.

radioguy39nj said:
Madmansam said:
superjj said:

Never say never! Sports on FM is catching on in many markets as is news and talk. You already have the KCBS all-news simulcast in SF. CBS is looking to establish more sports stations on FM. 105.3 could be next since they already have the Raiders' rights.

Cumulus will soon be in a position to take KGO and KNBR to FM if they choose to do so. KCBS' successful all-news simulcast serves as an example of what's possible. Radio is a copycat business as are so many others. :)
If anything, I see Cumulus switching an FM to a KGO-FM then I would see a KNBR-FM. 105.3 could very well switch to All-Sports but they would have to obtain some very good sports programming other than the Raiders. With 860 in turmoil, They could obtain the A's but I was thinking more in line of Sports shows, like either an ESPN or Fox Sports Net affiliation. Those are the top two Sports Networks.

Madmansam said:
If anything, I see Cumulus switching an FM to a KGO-FM then I would see a KNBR-FM. 105.3 could very well switch to All-Sports but they would have to obtain some very good sports programming other than the Raiders. With 860 in turmoil, They could obtain the A's but I was thinking more in line of Sports shows, like either an ESPN or Fox Sports Net affiliation. Those are the top two Sports Networks.

KNBR has the best sports properties in the Bay Area, the 49ers, Giants and Warriors. 105.3 could easily pick up the A's as well as the Raiders whose rights they already have. CBS owns 105.3 so an affiliation with ESPN or Fox Sports Radio doesn't make much sense.

If 105.3 picked up the A's, it would be the second time around for the team and CBS. The A's had just started on 106.9 when it was Free-FM. The format was then flipped to classic hits, then to the KCBS simulcast. CBS then dropped the A's broadcasts. :)

Madmansam said:
radioguy39nj said:
Madmansam said:
superjj said:

Most of The CBS FM Sports Talkers are mostly local, with some syndicated shows evenings or overnight

travisl5678 said:
Madmansam said:
radioguy39nj said:
Madmansam said:
superjj said:

Most of The CBS FM Sports Talkers are mostly local, with some syndicated shows evenings or overnight
I am curious, if CBS switches KITS-105.3 to Sports/talk and pick up the A's & Raiders, would they do well if Cumulus switches one of their FM's to KNBR-FM and simply simulcast 680, and would the well known KNBR brand name be enough to kill a CBS FM Sports Talker?

Since the A's and Raiders are on CBS radio, make 105.3 and 1550 the Fan and broadcast sports targeted to the East/South Bay 24 hours a day.

pvb100 said:
Since the A's and Raiders are on CBS radio, make 105.3 and 1550 the Fan and broadcast sports targeted to the East/South Bay 24 hours a day.

In NY, WFAN and WEPN still cover news of teams they don't have rights to. For example, WFAN is the Mets flagship and they still give away Yankees tickets. 'FAN is also the Giants flag and has beat reporters assigned to the Jets.

WFAN is the flag for the Mets, Giants, Nets and Devils. WEPN is flag for the Jets, Knicks and Rangers. The Yankees are on WCBS Newsradio. Both NY sports stations cover NY sports as a whole and don't target their coverage east or west of the Hudson River. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom