• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Sports Hub renews Celtics; 92.9 if Bruins game conflicts

Beasley renews Celtics with WBZ FM 98.5, and:

@bostonradio:
>>Celtics-Bruins conflict station is now 92.9 after 5 years of 105.7. Speaking of 105.7, Beasley is positioning its format to go up against chick-friendly Magic 106.7. 92.9 is male-oriented classic rock.
• Sounds like Grande will be their radio voice for foreseeable future...but you never know.

Beasley renews Celtics with WBZ FM 98.5, and:

@bostonradio:
>>Celtics-Bruins conflict station is now 92.9 after 5 years of 105.7. Speaking of 105.7, Beasley is positioning its format to go up against chick-friendly Magic 106.7. 92.9 is male-oriented classic rock.
• Sounds like Grande will be their radio voice for foreseeable future...but you never know.
Wait. You're saying Beasley is going to screw with 105.7 WROR to go up against its former sister, chick-friendly Magic 106.7? And the male-oriented classic rock on 92.9 is what 'ROR's listeners (who are legion), will have to turn to?

Pray, tell, from whence cometh this?

As it said, @bostonradio. His opinion.
I tried to tune in to 105.7 around 6 pm to hear what they sound like these days. Commercial, commercial, commercial, commercial,
commercial... OK so they gotta make money... I think they were playing some music later on. But I gave up after the (admittedly PM drive) cluster of spots. You know, if people are stuck in traffic and they wanna hear a great song...

...they can find something on a stream, youtube, XM, HD, even maybe AM radio music stations like WMEX.,,,Or they can
patiently sit through 5 minutes or so of spots. Yeah! Love those ads!

Not sure how many B's/C's conflicts there will be.
In Philly on a recent night the regular FM home of the Phillies was carrying football and those who wanted the baseball playoff
had to go to AM radio.

Via twitter/X I see the "Matty coming back to Boston" is a series of shows in Jan. at the Wilbur, An Evening of Matty in the Morning...and Pete Sheppard will do morning drive with Tony Bruno Sports Network stream. 7-10 am starting Oct 30

As it said, @bostonradio. His opinion.
I tried to tune in to 105.7 around 6 pm to hear what they sound like these days. Commercial, commercial, commercial, commercial,
commercial... OK so they gotta make money... I think they were playing some music later on. But I gave up after the (admittedly PM drive) cluster of spots. You know, if people are stuck in traffic and they wanna hear a great song...
I think they believe they counter these ads by giving their non-stop music blocks (if I'm not mistaken, 'ZLX does something similar), but I have to agree with you, NOT during PM drive!

As for the info re the "new" direction for 105.7 you said is available at @bostonradio: I couldn't find it.

I’ve never been a regular listener to WROR but in reviewing there playlist it does look like they’ve definitely added more pop than rock.

In the last few hours, I noticed they played Whitney Houston, Madonna, Phil Collins, Kid Rock’s ‘All Summer Long’, Brown Eyed Girl, among others that definitely lean towards more pop than rock.

Thanks--I don't know if 80s And More is still the slogan. Wikipedia (accuracy up for debate) calls them Classic Hits and
says:
>>"The station now focuses on hit songs from the 1970s, the 1980s, and some 1990s & 2000s hits. Its slogan is “80s & more!” Therefore, the station has an emphasis on 80s music."

Brown Eyed Girl goes back to late 60s
Just played via their site
Elton John
Aerosmith
Corey Hart
Bon Jovi
A ha

I would think that the best way to handle conflicts between Bruins and Celtics games would be for the team playing at home to remain on WBZ-98.5, and the team.on the road going to WBOS-92.9.

(Is) Beasley....going to screw with 105.7 WROR to go up against its former sister, chick-friendly Magic 106.7? And the male-oriented classic rock on 92.9 is what 'ROR's listeners (who are legion), will have to turn to?

Women between 25 and 54 years of age (the so-called "soccer moms") are the most desired demographic in advertising, and more advertising is directed to them than to any other demographic.

WROR-105.7 management may believe that by tweaking their format to the soccer mom demographic, they'll make more money.

And if WROR wants to be serious about attracting soccer moms, they may want to go all-Christmas this year (as all-Christmas stations attract lots of women between 25 and 54 years old), and flip before WMJX-106.7 does.

But regardless of when WMJX plans to flip, if WROR (or anyone else in Boston) goes all-Christmas before WMJX does, WMJX will follow......maybe within minutes. Otherwise, WMJX might lose it's image as Boston radio's go-to place for Christmas music if a competitor is alone in the market with an all-Christmas format for hours or especially, for days.

I’ve never been a regular listener to WROR but in reviewing there playlist it does look like they’ve definitely added more pop than rock.

In the last few hours, I noticed they played Whitney Houston, Madonna, Phil Collins, Kid Rock’s ‘All Summer Long’, Brown Eyed Girl, among others that definitely lean towards more pop than rock.

It would make sense seeing that it and WBOS are in the same cluster, where before the Enterom-CBS merger, the two and WMJX were in the same cluster. Then, WBOS was alternative; so it made sense for WROR to play more rock leaning songs. It covered a hole in their cluster, while leaning somewhat away from WMJX. With WMJX now an Audacy property and WBOS now classic rock, it's logical for WROR to evolve to a sound that leans away from WBOS and competes more with WMJX.

It would make sense seeing that it and WBOS are in the same cluster, where before the Enterom-CBS merger, the two and WMJX were in the same cluster. Then, WBOS was alternative; so it made sense for WROR to play more rock leaning songs. It covered a hole in their cluster, while leaning somewhat away from WMJX. With WMJX now an Audacy property and WBOS now classic rock, it's logical for WROR to evolve to a sound that leans away from WBOS and competes more with WMJX.
Why not keep WROR as classic hits/rock, and morph WBOS towards pop, a la' WMJX? Why screw with 'ROR? 'BOS never really found its voice, did it?

Why not keep WROR as classic hits/rock, and morph WBOS towards pop, a la' WMJX? Why screw with 'ROR? 'BOS never really found its voice, did it?
I appreciate the question. As an outsider, I don't know. All I can go off is what is. They went with a 90s leaning classic rock format for WBOS, and traded WMJX for WBZ-FM as part of the Entercom-CBS merger. Makes sense that they wouldn't want overlap, which would explain why WROR leaned more rock over pop, when WMJX was in the cluster; and now will lean more pop over rock now that WMJX is a competitor, and WBOS is a full fledged classic rock station.

ROR has evolved properly erawise, flanks a good upstart classic rocker with a popular morning show very well, and routinely hands Magic its lunch.

Why does anyone believe that Cadillac Jack is making mistakes?

Back
Top Bottom