• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Some observations of latest ratings

Mix 106.9 got a nice bump from Santa radio. 93.1 ain't doin to well with hip hop. I think they should flip 93.1 back to rock and leave the hip hop to 96.5. They do just fine with the format.

Alt 105.1 not doin well but the mighty fine 91.9 doing great. I have never seen a non com do so well at least not fpk. And Waky down a bit but still doin well. Sfr and Qmf basically tied.

Comments?

ALT 105.1 has a 0.4 rating. That's embarrassing.What can they do at this point? They've tried just about everything but Country! I always enjoyed their original format when they started in '93 as WEHR.

Yeah I remember when they were w e h r and they were a Jack FM before there was a Jack FM. I remember they played you know a current hit by Air supply followed by a current hit by inx very interesting.

I also had an interview to be an account representative at that station back then but I didn't get the job. Probably to young back then.

I also remember in like March of 05 when they were wlrs remember them getting a four share so who knows what works. Maybe bundling it with rest of the alpha cluster is good enough and does better then the previous formats in sales.

ALT 105.1 has a 0.4 rating. That's embarrassing.What can they do at this point? They've tried just about everything but Country! I always enjoyed their original format when they started in '93 as WEHR.

They tried country on it too, probably 2002-2003. It was them dropping country, and AMZ's subsequent rise to a 17 share, that led 103.9 to go country in 2004.

I just checked on Wikipedia history with that station. They have never tried country. And from 2000-2009 they were wlrs. It was 104.3 that tried country in like 2005. 104.3 was a simulcast of lrs for a minute I think before the simulcast but 105.1 has not tried country.

The alt format overall is down all over the country. The once powerhouse world famous Kroq in la has certainly seen better days. Kroq has the heritage but that doesn't seem to matter there getting beat pretty handily by the iheart alt in la. Alt 98.7 but point being the format is down nationwide. But 91.9 fpk is doin quite well. Nice to see. I hope 105.1 keeps the alt format and hopefully it's a good fit in the cluster.

I just checked on Wikipedia history with that station. They have never tried country. And from 2000-2009 they were wlrs. It was 104.3 that tried country in like 2005. 104.3 was a simulcast of lrs for a minute I think before the simulcast but 105.1 has not tried country.

The alt format overall is down all over the country. The once powerhouse world famous Kroq in la has certainly seen better days. Kroq has the heritage but that doesn't seem to matter there getting beat pretty handily by the iheart alt in la. Alt 98.7 but point being the format is down nationwide. But 91.9 fpk is doin quite well. Nice to see. I hope 105.1 keeps the alt format and hopefully it's a good fit in the cluster.

I was so sure that I was correct, I asked a friend who worked there at the time. But you are right, it was 104.3. I got my events right, I just mixed up my frequencies. Imagine that!

Doesn't matter the format it seems. I remember lrs at 105.1 in March of 2005 had a 4 share but why nothing they have tried since hasn't gotten any traction is beyond me.

I wonder if alt 105.1 is an easier sell or to bundle then the classic hip hop format?

You're right. If 105.1 went country and did it right, they would get into the 3's or higher. Their stick is right in the heart of the zip codes of the country audience in Louisville. It would make sense. What these radio companies who put alt on don't realize is that is only a major market format. In a highly dense population, you may be able to squeak out a 2 share and make a little money. But there just isn't a big audience for that format and never has been in markets outside of the top 10.

You're right. If 105.1 went country and did it right, they would get into the 3's or higher. Their stick is right in the heart of the zip codes of the country audience in Louisville. It would make sense. What these radio companies who put alt on don't realize is that is only a major market format. In a highly dense population, you may be able to squeak out a 2 share and make a little money. But there just isn't a big audience for that format and never has been in markets outside of the top 10.
There are 100 shares in every market. Why would, let's say, Kalamazoo be any different than Detroit or Chicago or Madison or Green Bay?

Nearly all the top 100 or so markets have many, many signals today. Kansas City, market 34, has 59 stations, not including translators. Even market 132, Palm Springs, has 35 stations and a dozen translators that cover the whole market. Baltimore, market 21, has 63 stations. Philadelphia has 87. There is about as much fragmentation in markets 51-100 as in markets 1 to 10.

And in la right now where there are two alt stations. The heritage one Kroq is getting beat by the iheart alt station n the heritage one Kroq may leave the alt format n go active rock or a hybrid. The alt format is not doing to well these days reguardless of which market it is w few exceptions.

There are 100 shares in every market. Why would, let's say, Kalamazoo be any different than Detroit or Chicago or Madison or Green Bay?

Nearly all the top 100 or so markets have many, many signals today. Kansas City, market 34, has 59 stations, not including translators. Even market 132, Palm Springs, has 35 stations and a dozen translators that cover the whole market. Baltimore, market 21, has 63 stations. Philadelphia has 87. There is about as much fragmentation in markets 51-100 as in markets 1 to 10.

Cume. Hypothetical. In Chicago, a station can have a 1.8 and could still have a cume of over 1 million. In Louisville, a station can have a 1.8 and a cume of less than 30,000. In densely populated areas, alt has a better chance of finding an audience. In a city the size of Louisville on a small stick that covers primarily huge country music zip codes, it could do much better as a country station. Just a thought.

And you think it would be a good idea for Summit, who owns 103.9, to switch it to a rock format which will take listeners away from 107.7, which Summit also owns?
Louisville radio is so redundant and repetitive. Doesn't hold a candle to even Lexington. There is so little to choose from and too many stations doing the same thing basically. 107.7 is not rock. Do they play anything current or even in the late 2000s?

Louisville radio is so redundant and repetitive. Doesn't hold a candle to even Lexington. There is so little to choose from and too many stations doing the same thing basically. 107.7 is not rock. Do they play anything current or even in the late 2000s?

No. It's Classic Rock.

Greg what do you think should be done with 105.1 if anything or keep it as is?

A rim blaster with a poor signal competing against 30 other radio stations will never amount to anything. They should either leave it like it is, or make it a flanker for a station they care about.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom