• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Sixties/Seventies versus Seventies/Eighties; where to go?

Hardees bought all the Burger Chef's (anyone remember "Burger Chef and Jeff") in the midwest but thought some of the BCs elsewhere were bought by other companies. There was Hardees before Burger Chef (and as I recall Mama Cass sang the "burgers are charcoal broiled" jingle). Now Hardees is essentially Carl Jrs.

I remember Burger Chef. My class in elementary school went on a field trip and that's where we ate.

Not long before that, Hardee's changed the way they make hot dogs. Chili, not relish. They were delicious until a few years ago when some genius decided Oscar Meyer all beef hot dogs should replace them. I hated those things.

I remember when Gilbert Giddyup shot a hole in his hat, and for the rest of the time he and Speedy McGreedy did commercials that hole was still there.

For my money, novelty songs are a format unto themselves, kinda like most country "crossover" songs. I don't know of anyone pining to hear "Achy Breaky Heart" or "Just a Swingin'" or "Elvira" anymore! Those haven't "worn" well, either! But yet I almost never hear of anyone constantly picking on them!
[/quote]My country station plays those last two. They don't do a lot of nineties. Reba McEntire and Rany Travis are the only ones I know for sure that did nineties songs they play.

And I like those songs.

In the car, that's just about all I have. I have no desire to listen to what pop oldies stations play, and standards is hard to find.

oldies76 said:
Grab one of those Joel Whitburn books that lists all the songs & artists that charted on the Hot 100....Very valuable tool.
I have one problem with thios. "Sharp Dressed Man" by ZZ Top never made the Top 40. And yet formats other than classic rock are still playing it.

I haven't heard it on an oldies station, but two years ago I remember "La Grange" by ZZ Top (how high did THAT one chart?) on a station that actually used "oldies" in its name, which is country now because one of the best oldies stations anywhere, in terms of personality at least, was still doing well and the owners were morons. Of course their ratings with country prove they weren't morons ...

gr8oldies said:
Hardees bought all the Burger Chef's (anyone remember "Burger Chef and Jeff") in the midwest but thought some of the BCs elsewhere were bought by other companies. There was Hardees before Burger Chef (and as I recall Mama Cass sang the "burgers are charcoal broiled" jingle). Now Hardees is essentially Carl Jrs.

Hardees is owned by Carl's Jr(CKE Restaurants), a duplicate of their stores in all but name. Carl's Jr started in California, and is the #4 burger chain in the USA. Hardees is mostly in the East, Midwest and Southeat, while Carl's Jr is in the Southwest, West and Alaska & Hawaii.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom