• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Sirius Satellite Television?!?

B

buttonpuncher

Well I guess it's happened, been hearing it was in the works. I saw a story on one of the network morning shows showing Sirius satellite TV, they said there were three kids channels on, no mention of picture quality.

Personally, I hate to see it happen as the bandwidth they give to the TV channels most likely takes away from the audio quality, the original mission. How is Sirius sounding these days? I left Sirius for XM a couple of years ago, I hope they don't decide to do TV too, the audio is already on the edge of bad on many channels.

buttonpuncher said:
Well I guess it's happened, been hearing it was in the works. I saw a story on one of the network morning shows showing Sirius satellite TV, they said there were three kids channels on, no mention of picture quality.

Personally, I hate to see it happen as the bandwidth they give to the TV channels most likely takes away from the audio quality, the original mission. How is Sirius sounding these days? I left Sirius for XM a couple of years ago, I hope they don't decide to do TV too, the audio is already on the edge of bad on many channels.
I also help that this service isn't gonna create a bandwidth crunch. I've been with Sirius for 2 years and 3 months and the audio is much better than it was back then (not perfect, but better). It'd be a shame to take a step backwards now.

At least in theory, the new "Sirius Backseat TV" service is supposed to utilize additional bandwidth made possible by a new hierarchical modulation technique, and should not be using any of the bandwidth that provides Sirius Satellite Radio service to the US or Canada.

Notably, the new TV service requires *two* small antennas be mounted onto a given vehicle for its reception. The signal comes from the same satellites as before, but has an additional encoding added to it for TV.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom