• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Should Denny's have disclosed this?

Last night after work a co-worker and I went to Denny's for dinner. We both got the new Chicken Philly Melt. The waitress told us that it came with fries - regular or sea salt. I got regular, he got sea salt. At the end of the meal he gave me $20 for his half of the meal. I paid with my debit card. This morning when I was subtracting the dinner from my check book I discovered that Denny's charged my friend 59 cents for the sea salt fries. I shouldn't complain because my friend paid for it, but I still think the waitress should've told us that there was a 59 cent up charge for sea salt fries.

You are correct. "Comes with" means there is no extra charge for that item. The waitress should have disclosed the price difference.

I just looked at the Denny's menu online. They don't show fries w/sea salt. They do show seasoned fries.
Is it possible that your co-worker ordered seasoned fries? That might explain the additional charge.
Still ... the up-charge should have been on the menu.

I just looked at the Denny's menu online. They don't show fries w/sea salt. They do show seasoned fries.
Is it possible that your co-worker ordered seasoned fries? That might explain the additional charge.

Probably is "Seasoned" and I misinterpreted the abbreviation on the receipt.

I eat at Denny's a couple or three times a month, since there is one less than a mile away from me and they are by at least that distance again the closest "chain family restaurant" to me. My fuzzy memory seems to recall that there is a fine-print upgrade charge for seasoned fries on the menu. I'll try to remember to look for that next time I'm there.

Seasoned Fries are an upcharge and it is noted on the menu, but the waitress should have advised that there was an extra amount. I'm not saying she was necessarily legally obligated to do so, she should just have done so. I do believe they are trained to suggest it and not mention the upcharge unless directly asked.

I'm not saying she was necessarily legally obligated to do so, she should just have done so.

If, as I remembered and you confirmed, the upcharge price is on the menu, you are correct that the legal obligation was already covered and unless the customer asked about it, the presumption is that you actually read the menu and therefore "knew" already.

Flip side: It could also be that they used to quote the upcharge and got too many complaints from customers who routinely ordered the seasoned fries and didn't want to be reminded. I know, that sounds ridiculous, but almost anything can and will happen these days with consumer thought processes ...

I eat at Denny's a couple or three times a month, since there is one less than a mile away from me and they are by at least that distance again the closest "chain family restaurant" to me.

Three times a month?? Have you had your cholesterol checked lately?

I like to call it the "Upsell", but rightfully so, we all have the right to be warned about the extra charge(s) that come with any upsell.

And I checked. Price for upgrade to Seasoned Fries is listed together with all the other items that can be added or substituted in any of the meals. Unless you don't actually read through the menu while deciding what to order, it's hard to overlook.

I like to call it the "Upsell", but rightfully so, we all have the right to be warned about the extra charge(s) that come with any upsell.
Yer just precious... so you want hand holding concierge throughout the menu reading process, at Denny's no less?
That'll cost a lot more than .59 cents if adopted as the norm.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom