• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Shots fired near KOMO News crew in Mount Vernon

I think you've put your finger on it. Pictures are for the illiterate. Pictures or words is the difference between The Times and the Daily News (which called itself "the picture newspaper" and used a camera as its logo). In contrast to what some have posted here, TV is not a visual medium. Silent movies are a visual medium. Photography is a visual medium. TV is an audio/visual medium.

Here's my position: were TV to have already existed, newspapers would not exist.

Print is a stopgap medium between scribes creating individual documents one at a time and the current and expanding delivery of near on-the-scene accounts of events. And this I say with all respect for my stepbrother, who was publisher of a recognizable American newspaper for 30 years.

I watched the pieces you mentioned which were still available on the website yesterday, and I completely dispute your descriptions.

The pieces on the website are "kibbles and bits" condensations of the on-air reporting. Like many TV sites, they offer condensed versions of the actual report as aired so as to encourage actual viewing.

What amazed was how little actual - let alone useful - information was contained in those pieces. TV news is to content what cotton candy is to nutrition.

You know, those of us who actually studied journalism were taught that the average user of print media does not read the whole story; only the most interested and most idle do. So we were instructed on how to create inverted pyramids with a summary of who-what-where-when-why in the first lines and then a gradual expansion of the information throughout the article. Thus the causal reader got the gist of the story without reading the whole thing.

Good television news gives just enough information to satisfy everyone's needs, in the full knowledge that the more interested viewer may seek out additional sources. But the timeliness and immediacy generally compensate for the necessary brevity while the visual aspect often compensates via the old "a picture is worth a thousand words".

Have I insulted "professionals?" No way. Journalists are not "professionals."

Certainly they are professionals, just as a mechanic, and artist, an attorney and a mason are professionals. They practice a profession, whether that profession require a college degree, an advanced degree or simply special skills or abilities.

You just demeaned most of America's workforce.

And people in TV news don't even qualify as "journalists."

Do they report on happenings that are of interest and importance to a segment of a community's population? If they tell the stories of what is going on, they are journalists.

TV news is show biz for the marginally attractive and marginally talented. Mic holders are the lowest level of celebrity. They know it and that makes them so thin-skinned about people waving behind them.

If I am mowing my lawn (if I had one) and someone tosses rocks onto the grass in front of my lawn mower, I would be angry. If I were framing a photograph, and someone purposely stood in front of the lens, I would be annoyed. You get the point: anyone who interferes with the work or livelihood of another is not just a distraction, but a social misfit and worthy of disdain.

When I see TV news people stop intrudding on people in the worst moments of their lives with rude, personal and impertinent questions, and ceasing gratuitous invasions of the privacy of people who are not public figures, then I will start of having some sympathy for talent having their live shots disrupted by passersby.

And you thin that print journalists don't, also, try to "get the story"? Either you are arguing for argument's sake or just disingenuous.

Let's not forget all those polls that show what low regard in which the public holds news media and the people in it. But I doubt people like some here have ever done any soul searching to wonder why this is. No, just dismiss them as wackos. Much easier and more satisfying.

Generally, the lack of trust of some of the news media has to do with the opinion segments or pages in publications or the injection of opinion or bias into newscasts. Here, we are talking about a local news crew in the Seattle area... no opinion, no bias... just a crew that found themselves in a scene where shots were fired. A scene which, because of the shots, became a news story or event on its own merit.

Last edited:
Let's not forget all those polls that show what low regard in which the public holds news media and the people in it.

One thing I'd like to point out: In those polls, the public doesn't distinguish between print or broadcast media.

And as low as the media rates, the Congress rates substantially lower.

Journalism is indeed a profession. It takes skill and some training to do it well. Although they now have computer programs producing and writing news for some newspapers and newspaper websites.

Nowadays, with 30% of Americans (according to one article I read a few months ago) getting their news from memes and half-truths 'shared' on Facebook, and just as many undoubtedly getting their information from often questionably written stories on partisan websites, what is now called "journalism" has increasingly become more the dominion of hacks than professionals.

Well not too long after this discussion, a news photographer and reporter from WDBJ in Blacksburg, VA. were killed by some sick whackadoo at point blank range.

My fear is this will empower more gun carrying nut cases to declare open season on news crews.

Well not too long after this discussion, a news photographer and reporter from WDBJ in Blacksburg, VA. were killed by some sick whackadoo at point blank range.

My fear is this will empower more gun carrying nut cases to declare open season on news crews.

Apparently, the shooter was an ex-employee of the station (fired) and posted on social media that the reporter had used racist language against him. Here we go again. Let the hate and the snark begin anew across the Internet, from all the extremes. I hate what this country is turning into these days.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom