• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

See ya, Monica!

Looks like a money issue... at least according to her. She'll be working for a PR firm in Tempe, and her last day was yesterday. I do wish her well in her new job, but quite frankly, she won't be missed.

I used to watch KTVK news religiously. When KTVK and KPHO combined
news operations, I watched less. Now that Gray has instituted their famous
"revolving door" of employees, I hardly watch at all. As a viewer, I like
continuity and that is something sorely missing with Phoenix Gray Stations.....

I've been watching Channel 15 at 11 AM and evenings more and more lately. I still watch Good Morning Arizona on 3, and I still like their 4 and 5 PM news, but after that, they're getting too repetitious, not to mention the incessant self-promotion of the Three On Your Side people that is making me change the channel.

I still don't trust Channel 10, even though they fired That Woman Who's Running For Governor, and 12 is still amateur hour.

Looks like a money issue... at least according to her. She'll be working for a PR firm in Tempe, and her last day was yesterday. I do wish her well in her new job, but quite frankly, she won't be missed.

The link goes directly to an ad from Azcentral.

The link goes directly to an ad from Azcentral.
The link works fine for me, but here it is...

Monica Garcia, weekend morning anchor at Arizona’s Family and a reporter for “Good Morning Arizona,” has left the Phoenix TV stations.

Tuesday was her last day, Garcia announced in an Instagram post.
“There’s going to be one less Amigo on Good Morning Arizona,” she posted. “Today is my last day on GMAZ!!!”

Garcia is the latest in a string of departures for Arizona’s Family, comprised of Channels 3 and 5, both owned by Atlanta-based Gray Television. Javier Soto, the popular co-anchor of “Good Morning Arizona,” announced his departure in May. Other changes include the firing of Kris Pickel in April and the departure of popular anchor Brandon Lee in 2021 after he had returned to the stations following a previous exit, among others.

“I would say the (news) industry is like an intimate relationship,” Garcia, who came to the stations in 2019, told The Arizona Republic. “You give it all, but it doesn’t give the same back, and then you realize you’re not getting back what you’re giving. … I’m at the point in my life where I no longer need this relationship to define me. As a natural storyteller, I’ve decided to turn the page.”
The advantages of TV were no longer worth it, Garcia said.

“Sure the exposure is there, but there comes a time when a lot of us are ready to come into financial compensation for the hard work we do,” she said. “That’s sometimes not there. You feel like a cog in a wheel, basically.”

Plus, she said, she'll get to sleep later.

Garcia said she will be working for a local public-relations firm, Highnoon marketing in Tempe, using skills she developed over the past few years.

“During the pandemic and during the last three years, my beat was economy-related stories,” she said. “When I talked to, I would say, hundreds of local business owners, I could feel it deep in my soul when I heard about their hardships.”
She started posting videos about these business owners on her personal social media accounts, Garcia said. “It started out as a creative outlet on days when it seemed like all I was covering was some pretty heavy breaking news,” she said. “What I saw was an opportunity to take these two-and-a-half minute packages and turn them into 15 second videos.”

Some of her TikTok videos have been viewed more than 1 million times; one has more than 2.4 million.
Others evidently saw the opportunity, as well.

“I was noticed by a PR company in town,” she said. “So it’s kind of like 'hey kids, more internet time on your phone is not a bad thing.'”

Yet, as a Mexican-American woman, she’ll miss journalism, Garcia said.

“The sadness that I felt were for the people that were in my inbox looking for more diversity in the news,” she said, “because it’s one less person.”

I'm a little shocked at this. Yes, being an anchor didn't work for Garcia. Her reporter spots were okay, with work could get better.

Interesting that Garcia mentioned money, which is rarely discussed.

From the "Just when I think I got out, they drag me back in" department: Monica has returned to TV news.

Apparently, life on the outside wasn't as good as she thought. Monica is back in the TV biz as the main news anchor at KVOA-TV 4 in Tucson. She had worked there a few years back before being hired at KTVK/KPHO.

Hopefully this will work out for her.

Interesting! Monica wasn't a good fit on weekend GMAZ or as a weather anchor, but those positions require a special skill set. Not everyone is good at a "happy talk" morning show or forecasting the weather.

I wish her well as an evening anchor in Tucson. Perhaps a smaller market anchoring job will give her time to mature and become a great anchor. And, I don't believe for a minute that she wasn't already looking for such a job when she left 3TV (despite what she said earlier).

Interesting! Monica wasn't a good fit on weekend GMAZ or as a weather anchor, but those positions require a special skill set. Not everyone is good at a "happy talk" morning show or forecasting the weather.

I wish her well as an evening anchor in Tucson. Perhaps a smaller market anchoring job will give her time to mature and become a great anchor. And, I don't believe for a minute that she wasn't already looking for such a job when she left 3TV (despite what she said earlier).
Thank Former, you took most of the words from my head.

I don't have a lot of memories of Walter Cronkite (I'm an ABC News Guy) and I do remember his retirement announcement and Dan Rather taking over. It is hard for me to imagine Cronkite doing cooking segments or pets on parade or talking with fitness instructor.

I would like to check back on Monica in 12 - 18 months to see how she's doing.

Wasn't Monica the one who couldn't shut up and kept interrupting her co-host or do I have her confused with another?
Yes, Monica is very expressive. She gets happy during the GMAZ mornings.
Maybe KVOA Tucson Ch. 4 will be an excellent place to mature her mannerisms.

I've give KVOA webmaster props: Monica's bio is already up on their website. And it doesn't mention about ever working in Phoenix! 😆

And for us WWE fans, she is paired with Sean Mooney!

I've give KVOA webmaster props: Monica's bio is already up on their website. And it doesn't mention about ever working in Phoenix!
Gray owns KOLD-TV/13 and provides "certain services" to Tegna's KMSB/11 and KTTU/18. Why mention the competition, especially when it's her former employer?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom