• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Seattle TV News March 2019

About every 6-9 months I spend an afternoon and evening taking notes on the Seattle TV news market. Here are my observations from Monday, March 11th, 2019.

For starters, KOMO has a program called "Refined Seattle", which isn't really a news program, but more of a specialty program that features cool aspects of living in Seattle, (probably advertisers, but I digress). Notable that former KIRO sportscaster Gaard Swanson hosts it after his stint as an Orlando anchor for many years. This show is followed by the markets earliest afternoon news, KOMO's 3:30 newscast, this time co-anchored by Preston Phillips, from KPHO (CBS Phoenix). I was impressed with Preston, he definitely has the chops, and is also being utilized on the evening news as a breaking news anchor, and apparently anchors 11pm.

Moving to 4pm, KOMO has the longtime "lifestyle" newscast with Mary Nam, but is now coming from the main studio instead of the news room. Mary is solid as usual here. KCPQ (Fox) starts their afternoon coverage at 4pm with Marni Hughs and Matt Lorch, a solid team. They also do the 5pm. On KING, the "Take 5" experiment continues on...I do enjoy the casual relaxed presentation from the station lobby, but ratings will determine if it lasts.

At 5pm, things deteriorate quickly, and that is not good. KIRO's 5:00 is mundane and lacks energy IMO, with Raible and Ming Laven. I don't know, they aren't bad, but there doesn't seem to be any magic there. The set is good, except for the stagnant background. Over on KOMO, Eric Johnson is fine, Molly is fine, but again, nothing too exceptional. I do think Shannon O'Donnell is doing a fine job filling in for Steve Poole who is on medical leave. KING TV continues to look drab and depressing. The anchors, Wright and Matsukawa are proficient, but they look bored and not really involved IMO. Weather is being done by Craig Herrera, who I believe is on short-term contract. He actually is pretty good.

6pm has KIRO changing the anchor up with Dave Wagner. He continues to be one of the best anchors in the market. I'm not sure why they don't utitlize him more.

Into the evening, we see David Rose anchoring Fox on Joe-TV and KCPQ with Marni Hughes.

Caught a little of KCPQ mornings...they are right on target. Very good morning programming with strong personalities.

I watched a little bit of KOMO's livestream during the big snowstorm last month, and I noticed Preston anchoring weather coverage with Molly Shen. Decent ability all around. Perhaps when and if Eric Johnson retires, he'll take over his seat.
Noticed 4PM was from the main set. Interesting. They had ALWAYS been from the newsroom...with the KOMO Question and the lifestyle features. I still miss those oddball questions. KAPP/KVEW used to do a daily 'question' at 5PM here, not anymore. Great tool for social media usage IMO.

Steve Raible...mundane? I'll take him over anyone else in Seattle. He has the most experience in front of the camera, than any other current anchor in Seattle. Too bad Ellensburg cable doesn't carry KIRO anymore, so I'll have to take the webstream or just watch KOMO over the local cable for Seattle news. And as for Dave Wagner, they don't utilize him more because...Raible.

Yes, KCPQ still ticking away strong in the AMs. Excellent personalities overall. During the snowstorm last month they were right on top of closures, transit delays, road conditions, even made phone calls to WSDOT. Very impressed. And the traffic 'music' hasn't changed in 10 years or more. I still remember it to this day when I lived there!

Ouch...in the middle of March Madness season, and with a healthy Gonzaga team it won't make a lot of people happy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom