• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Seattle-Tacoma Arbitron Radio Ratings: May 2013

In prime time (6a-7P) and prime demos (25-54 adults, men and women) things returned a bit to normal. KISW on top in men and adults, KPLZ in women. WOLF, KQMV and KZOK had big books and big growth. News and Talk continues to suffer, so does Classic Hits. KJR down and KMCQ disappearing. WOLF has put a great bit of distance between themselves and KMPS. KQMV has put a great bit of distance between themselves KBKS and KUBE. WOLF, KUOW, KPLZ and KISW remain on top in mornings in respective demos. Weekends and nights go to country and the CHR's.

I'd be curious to know how KIRO-FM fares, based on their programming. Does it appear that their morning listeners that can keep listening, choose to stay with them when Dave Ross is joined by Luke Burbank after 9am, and when Luke gets top billing from 10am to Noon? How does the Dorey affect things? Does he lose a lot of their prior audience, or bring in enough new tune-ins of his own to maintain the overall numbers? Likewise for the other shows -- if anyone with access is able to suggest a few things in this regard without violating any sacred oaths to Arbitron.

When I managed a station in another market a few years ago, I paid attention to the tune-in/out patterns interesting for my station, but the top 4 or 5 shared-audience stations often changed from diary to diary quarter, and format changes didn't account for that.

Interesting to analyze the data closely, but I would never bank on any of those numbers unless I saw at least a four or five book trend. These monthly PPM reports must make for some jumpy management meetings, if they're reacting to similar things that change with each survey period. Some of the fluctuation is just "watching the meter modulate" as you average things out over time. But I'm still curious how the stations with different program blocks fare throughout the day.

KIRO FM is in 19th place, up from 22nd in the prime demo Nights is there worst shift, getting even worse in the last book ranking 32nd, mid-days are the next worst at 20th, mornings at 19th. Afternoons are the best shift on the station 3-7 and rank around 15th place. These numbers have been pretty consistent since January. KUOW is number one in mornings and KOMO is top ten in mornings. Both of these stations die off the rest of the day. KTTH is way down and KVI is under a one. Tough time for News and Talk in Seattle right now except mornings on KUOW.

Classic Hits is going down? KJR-FM is up 0.2 shares from last month and I don't see KMCQ in here at all. I wonder if CBS is regretting flipping KPTK to sports yet? It is my understanding that they got just over a 1 share with Progressive Talk, now they don't even show up.

bobdavcav said:
Classic Hits is going down? KJR-FM is up 0.2 shares from last month and I don't see KMCQ in here at all. I wonder if CBS is regretting flipping KPTK to sports yet? It is my understanding that they got just over a 1 share with Progressive Talk, now they don't even show up.

I don't think CBS actually went into sports radio with ratings in mind. If they did, they would have looked at all the sports radio in Puget Sound alone and ran screaming from the idea.

Or seeing as there is so much competition, there would have been a MASSIVE promotional blitz (one doesn't just randomly stumble onto an AM station much anymore.) I think it's more a sweetheart deal to major corporate advertisers, coast to coast coverage in their markets for a nice price or an add-on to whatever else they're buying.

If actual listeners mattered, you'd see more promotional action from CBS. But CBS, like most corporations, thinks their "branding" sells itself. Even though the trash heap of radio history is filled with corporate networks that remained largely unknown due to the simple fact no one outside the industry or radio geeks has ever heard of them.....

Maybe people are SICK AND TIRED of 300-burnt-to-a-crisp 1965-1985 hits on KJR, or the Q104.5 that our "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" KMCQ has turned into...

-crainbebo

Maybe. KMCQ may be still encoding but their numbers would not be publically available since they are not a subscribing station. I know of several stations that are currently encoding but don't subscribe. If they are encoding then a whole host of ad agencies, media buyers and other stations may have access to KMCQ's numbers.

That could also be the case with 1090.....

I crunched the numbers yesterday and if I am correct in how shares are calculated, there is a 9 share totally unaccounted for in this market between at least the following stations, KRKO, KKXA, KHHO, KDDS, KAFE, KISM, KXXO, KMCQ, KKDZ, KLFE, KGNW, KCIS and probably a few other stations I am missing.

While some of the above mentioned stations could be below the 0.1 share threshold, some could be non-subscribers to Arbitron, too.

Several show up but don't subscribe, so can't be quoted in public...several are distant signals that don't show...others are local, that, sadly, just don' t show up. (Assuming all are encoded)....

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom