• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

San Diego's morning show battles??????

B

Bob_Hudson

Thanks Chris for the good laugh on sdradio.net with the line "The morning talk show battles are heating up with four shows on the AM dial: Chip Franklin at KOGO, Rick Roberts at 760 KFMB, Stacy Taylor at 1360KLSD, and Mark Larson at the top of the dial at San Diego 1700 AM."

If this is a battle, it's clear the loser has already been decided: the listeners. And the winner may well be KFI. Roberts and Taylor are not going anywhere in the ratings: they've each been at those gigs long enough that the market has sampled them and made up their minds about them. Larson at AM 1700 might as well be sticking a bullhorn out the window to broadcast his show. I don't know what his numbers were like at KOGO with its big signal, but apparently they were not big enough for them to want to keep him. He's a genial niche talker on a bad signal.

Okay Franklin: he's Baltimore and that ain't San Diego. I'm trying to remember who last came into town from back east and took the local radio scene by storm ??? The KOGO morning audience for years has been tuning in for news and information, not talk and not for someone with schtick but no local perspective. Even Prescott parked his schtick at the door, but he had the perspective of someone who's been intimately involved with the affairs of this town for what close to years? Maybe Franklin will be the quickest study in town, but I tell you, if you don't ever (or often) go back and forth between California and the world back east, you cannot begin to comprehend the cultural gulf: it's wider than you can imagine. One of the most off target slogans is, "People are pretty much the same wherever you go." No they're not.

The question is whether KOGO can afford a learning curve?

Meanwhile, "battles?" It looks like the would be warriors have no weapons.

Spartans always enjoyed Bill Handel.

I vote none of the above, I've switch to LA stations in the morning.

Is anyone under the age of 50 attracted to AM radio in San Diego? Some of the shows are ok but they are not shows that will attract a younger audience. AM is dying a slow death and no one seems to care to change the pattern of destruction.

Reggiefan1945 said:
Is anyone under the age of 50 attracted to AM radio in San Diego? Some of the shows are ok but they are not shows that will attract a younger audience. AM is dying a slow death and no one seems to care to change the pattern of destruction.

Well, how do you fix that, without AM having the Hi-Fi sound that FM has? Correct me if I'm wrong, but nearly all of the formats that skew younger are music related, and nobody wants to put that on AM (because an FM with Top 40 will beat an AM with Top 40). I guess IBOC was thoiught to put AM on an even ground but it doesn't seem to have worked out the way one would have hoped, in that it seems that AM Hi-Fi can't seem to co-exist with analogue AM.

Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but there doesn't seem to be a silver bullet for salvaging AM. I could see if you were in a remote desert community where there were only a couple of AM frequencies broadcasting. But in a major city like San Diego that has 20 or so FMs... What is there left to do with AM?

all of the other morning shows in san diego pretty much copy the d.s.c..and a question for garret,did you use to work at KS103FM back in the mid 80s?there was a personality called bob garret.

No, sorry. I worked at Q106 in the late 90s in a production capacity.

I wish I had worked at KS103 though, becuase I have no audio record of CHR life in San Diego before Z90 and Q106 (other than the dozen or so airchecks of B100 and KCBQ that exist).

vonrollskyway1 said:
all of the other morning shows in san diego pretty much copy the d.s.c..

DSC does a formulatic morning show of the type you can hear all over the country: a couple of wise crackin' guys with pee-pee jokes and a chick who laughs at everything they say (oops that's Robin and the Howard Stern show.....).

The biggest battle with me in the morning is whether I should listen to last night's late show monologues on my VCR or listen to ipartyradio.com's dance mix.

Radio in the morning needs to improve.

hipman2 said:
The biggest battle with me in the morning is whether I should listen to last night's late show monologues on my VCR or listen to ipartyradio.com's dance mix.

Radio in the morning needs to improve.

At some point it was decided that every morning show needed at least one host and at least one sidekick and it has resulted in a real sameness as they rehash the same celebrity news, banter with the traffic reporter, try to make the news chick giggle and engage in way too much inside talk that sounds like they forgot they have an audience outside the studio. I've always thought Jack FM could have a great morning show if they'd just make it a one person show with Monique: there is nothing wrong with having news and traffic people doing nothing more than information reports without any interaction with the jock and does a genuinely funny and talented morning person need a lightweight sidekick(s)? If so, why??????

Imagine how cool a morning show would be with, say, Jim McInnes playing good old rock and roll and just being himself between records with the occassional wry remark and genuine hipness. http://www.jimmcinnes.com/av/AircheckMcInnes.mp3

[/quote]

At some point it was decided that every morning show needed at least one host and at least one sidekick and it has resulted in a real sameness as they rehash the same celebrity news, banter with the traffic reporter, try to make the news chick giggle and engage in way too much inside talk that sounds like they forgot they have an audience outside the studio. I've always thought Jack FM could have a great morning show if they'd just make it a one person show with Monique: there is nothing wrong with having news and traffic people doing nothing more than information reports without any interaction with the jock and does a genuinely funny and talented morning person need a lightweight sidekick(s)? If so, why??????

Imagine how cool a morning show would be with, say, Jim McInnes playing good old rock and roll and just being himself between records with the occassional wry remark and genuine hipness.
[/quote]

I agree with you if, by cool, you mean boring. I assure you the show you speak of would draw about three listeners. Considering how cheap it would be to do, don't you think stations would be doing that if they thought it would work? MOST people - repeat MOST - like to hear more talk in the morning.

Garrett said:
No, sorry. I worked at Q106 in the late 90s in a production capacity.

I wish I had worked at KS103 though, becuase I have no audio record of CHR life in San Diego before Z90 and Q106 (other than the dozen or so airchecks of B100 and KCBQ that exist).

Garrett, there are a lot of old B-100, KS-103, Q-106 airchecks that exist. Even video of all three. I don't know what the policy is here on plugging businesses, but look up my e-mail if you want....

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom