• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

San Diego Radio Ratings: June 2023

And once again, another tie for KBZT and 91X, both at a 2.3. If this was in the old west, I'd say it's time for a draw, shake hands, and become friends. Maybe even work together? Nah, will never happen.

And once again, another tie for KBZT and 91X, both at a 2.3. If this was in the old west, I'd say it's time for a draw, shake hands, and become friends. Maybe even work together? Nah, will never happen.
In June, they both dropped. Alt to a 2.0 and 91X to a 1.9. Their shares and revenue have been virtually tied for years. When 91X first went Classic-heavy, the immediate ratings jolt made it look like they may have finally gained the upper hand, but three books later, they were back in their stalemate with Alt.

I find the chronic near tie situation between the two to be fascinating.

In June, they both dropped. Alt to a 2.0 and 91X to a 1.9. Their shares and revenue have been virtually tied for years. When 91X first went Classic-heavy, the immediate ratings jolt made it look like they may have finally gained the upper hand, but three books later, they were back in their stalemate with Alt.

I find the chronic near tie situation between the two to be fascinating.l
I looked at the ratings again, and they weren't updated for June. Wondering why ratings weren't posted from a more updated source? Anyways, what makes the virtual tie even more fascinating is the length of time this has been going on, 20 plus years. KBZT went Alternative back in 2002, and slowly ate up 91X's audience. Even when KBZT made changes like dropping "It's about the music" ,and Sonic Chill for a more mainstream Alternative playlist, and the failed all-talk Mikey Show in the morning. Also, a name change from FM/94.9 to Alt 94.9, and a string of low rated morning shows. And still, KBZT managed to keep 91X from gaining any ground.

I would love to see in depth article written about this, maybe even a book with the history of this. There's got to be enough material for that!

Last edited:
I looked at the ratings again, and they weren't updated for June. Wondering why ratings weren't posted from a more updated source?
I would not knowingly post links that are not updated or outdated.

Usually RadioInsight.com updates its ratings grids sometime after 2 PM PT on days when data is released.
However, on 7/12/2023 there must have been "technical difficulties" with the RadioInsight.com site as the grids for the "PPM Markets Released-Day 2" were redone in a more streamlined form and updated on 7/13/2023.

In my original post, I mentioned that the RadioInsight link may not have been be updated as of that posting and I *did* provide a separate working, updated link to the RadioOnline.com ratings page (for San Diego + other markets affected) - seen above and below as "or Radio Industry News, Radio Show Prep, Radio Promotions, Radio Station Data, Podcast News" which links to RadioOnline.com.

Next time I'll be more detailed about the separate links so as not to cause confusion.

When 94.9 signed on over 20 years ago it was classic-heavy. At the time 91X was a straight ahead mainstream commercial alt. station although with the punk rock undertones that were staples on the SoCal alternative rockers at the time.

There was a time when there were 3 commercial alternatives in SD (91X, 92.1 KFSD and FM 94/9), in addition to AAA "Sets 102.1" and Active Rock "Rock 105.3."

After a few years 94.9 ventured into what has been called "Real Alternative" territory (more currents, breaking tons of great new music such as Metric, Dead Kennedys in regular rotation, a daily blues tune, lots of Bob Marley, some heavier stuff like Mastadon). Of course PPM came out and revealed phantom listnenership and then it was mainstreamed.

Today the two stations appear to be playing largely to differing audiences, both seemingly seeing some success at their two missions.

The market is certainly up there with Seattle, Minneapolis, Los Angeles, Boston and more in rich alternative rock heritage both on and off the radio.

Last edited:
When 94.9 signed on over 20 years ago it was classic-heavy. At the time 91X was a straight ahead mainstream commercial alt. station although with the punk rock undertones that were staples on the SoCal alternative rockers at the time.

There was a time when there were 3 commercial alternatives in SD (91X, 92.1 KFSD and FM 94/9), in addition to AAA "Sets 102.1" and Active Rock "Rock 105.3."

After a few years 94.9 ventured into what has been called "Real Alternative" territory (more currents, breaking tons of great new music such as Metric, Dead Kennedys in regular rotation, a daily blues tune, lots of Bob Marley, some heavier stuff like Mastadon). Of course PPM came out and revealed phantom listnenership and then it was mainstreamed.

Today the two stations appear to be playing largely to differing audiences, both seemingly seeing some success at their two missions.

The market is certainly up there with Seattle, Minneapolis, Los Angeles, Boston and more in rich alternative rock heritage both on and off the radio.
92.1 KFSD is one I don't recall, they were a KSON simulcast when I moved to San Diego. Do you know exactly when they were Alternative, and any other tidbits of info about them? Also, in the late 90's was the short lived Flash 92.5 XHRM, which tried to compete with 91X.

Last edited:
There's a blurb about that station on wiki; it was apparently alternative from 2001-2003. KARJ (FM) - Wikipedia

The only thing I recall about the station was hearing the Weezer-esque song by Rooney "I'm Shakin'" on there when in San Diego in '03. Can't remember what it was called at that time, but don't recall it being called "Premium 92.1" as stated on the wikipedia page, though no doubt it was called that at least for some if not all of its existence.

Can't remember what it was called at that time, but don't recall it being called "Premium 92.1" as stated on the wikipedia page, though no doubt it was called that at least for some if not all of its existence.
I was in San Diego in the early 2000's. And yes, the station was branded as "Premium 92.1" (a reference to the octane rating for premium gas). But it only lasted a few years, probably due to its weak signal. Vastly inferior to 100kw competitor 91X.

Covering the survey period from Thu. 5/25/2023 thru Wed. 6/21/2023, age 6+ overall:
San Diego - RadioInsight (may not be updated in all browsers as of this post):
or Radio Industry News, Radio Show Prep, Radio Promotions, Radio Station Data, Podcast News

The sun shines on 98.1 leading the way.
KWFN keeps rising - Padres certainly generate interest despite not enough wins.
Audacy's KWFN 97.3 The Fan is surely benefitting somewhat from being the Padres' station of record. BUT...going from a 1.6 in February to a 5.4 in June is nearly a 3.5X increase. Baseball PBP (play by play) typically boosts a flagship by a modest proportion during the MLB season, but not to the magnitude of 3.5X. What else then is 97.3 The Fan suddenly doing right? Especially, as prior Padres seasons did not see such a leap in KWFN's 6+ ratings.

97.3 The Fan + Padres Radio Network Brand Mgr. Adam Klug says that:

---“The excitement [about] the team, combined with the fact that we're the flagship and the only live and local sports station from 6am to 6pm – and we're on the FM dial – all those combined really exploded in April.”
and:
---Most important to The Fan's success, though, is delivering with Padres talk all day long. “It's been really Padres-centric,” Klug says. “We're talking Padres baseball 90-95% of the time because we've listened to what our audience wants.”

Full article from InsideRadio.com dated 6/9/2023 (referring to April '23 numbers):

Back
Top Bottom