• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Ryan Seacrest to middays on Kiss 108

BRNout said:
12 In a Row said:
quote-"This is Clear Channel's way of saving money and also attracting national advertisers."

Hold on a second.
You're running a business. You have a the answer to save money, make MORE money and chances are,
more listeners. Where's the downside?

Are you going to tell your investors, I had a chance bring more listeners and money to our company, but I turned it down.
I think keeping Lucy LiveNLocal talking about the weather in Natick is the answer.

The Donald would like to see you in the board room. :mad:

The airwaves are public property. One could make the argument that Clear Channel is not serving the audience that it's supposed to by yanking all local programming and airing out-of-date syndicated shows in their place. I'd love to hear your argument that this move actually represents an IMPROVEMENT in Kiss 108's programming.

Conversely, all I see is how it maximizes profit. Stretch that concept to its logical conclusion and you'll have NO local programming whatsoever. All you'll have is a hodgepodge of bird feed and poor examples of a few formats. Like what has happened in far too many small markets. As it is, very few stations offer anything other than mindless chatter during morning drive. Do we need this all day? Apparently, someone thinks that we do - or that they do (for the sake of making an extra $1.50). At the minimum, this is a bad move for the listener and it's the continuation of a bad trend for anyone employed in the radio business (except the CEO).

The most profitable thing of all would be to run a national network of one program that's the same on all stations. No local content. No pesky newsreaders or traffic reporters to pay $6/hour. Just a bunch of repeaters like those religious zealots from Twin Falls, Idaho do. Is that really what you're advocating here? Because this is yet another step in that direction.

Though I am not a fan of big government, I'm beginning to think that holders of a broadcast license should be held to some minimum level of responsibility to the audiences that they are supposed to serve. Remember, Clear Channel may own the station - but WE own the frequency. Or, we're supposed to. And, I am also beginning to think that we're approaching the tipping point where something needs to happen. There's too little local programming - everywhere. And, it's happened so gradually that few have noticed how different radio is from what it was 25 years ago.

I'm not aware of ANYONE in Boston begging to hear scraps of Seacrest's LA morning show. Or in Chicago. Or in Philly. Yet all three markets (and others) are getting it anyway. Whether you like it or not. In Boston, at least, they'll probably get away with it because there's nowhere else for the CHR listener to turn. Elsewhere, I hope Clear Channel gets schlocked for this cheapa$$ move.

Take that argument to the F.C.C.
Obviously you've never run a business. Maximize your profits IS goal 1.

Business (any business) is in the business to make money, period. They don't, we're all out of work.
I'll take mindless chatter over the same 300 songs over and over.

How is this a bad move for the listener? Maybe for you, not for others.
I don't see where switching one program for another is not serving the public interest.

On the TV side, you have on average 6 hours a day, Mon-Fri of "local" programming, the rest is national or syndicated.
Less local on the weekends.

Lets see what the ratings bring before crying foul.

quote-WE own the frequency. Or, we're supposed to.
Taking this comment to the wild extreme, WE own The White House, or we're supposed to.
How come I can't stay there when I'm in Washington?

I appreciate the argument of saving jobs, but time moves on in this and many more industries.

Actually, 12 In A Row...the FM licenses are owned by the people, hence why the FCC governs it, and they can step in if a station is not operating in the interest of the public.

Although I'd LOVE for them to go after something like this...they wont. lol

You are misunderstanding what is meant by operating in the interest of the public. The FCC has always maintained that they do not regulate programming. The same rules hold true for TV and you can have the Home Shopping Network on almost 24 hours of the day. Besides the small amount of required public service programming the rest is completely up to the licensee and none of this is new. What keeps stations trying to serve their audience is ratings. It's awfully hard to sell commercials for top dollar if you don't have the ratings to show prospective clients. And this in turn is why you no longer have formats that didn't work like Smooth Jazz, Progressive Talk and R&B. Because those formats in this market didn't make their owners enough money. This is commercial radio not public broadcasting. If ratings suffer during this show the show will fade away. The people have spoken.

radiorama1 said:
kms575 said:
RIP Kiss 108. You had a good run, but CC has finally killed you off.

Sure am glad Sunny Joe isn't around to see this...

He would be rolling over in his grave.

Now I thought that happened the first time Kiss played 2 rock songs back to back! No disrespect to Sunny Joe White at all.

LAUROJRM said:
I agree with what all of you are saying.

Personnally, I'd rather hear Rick Dees. For me, he is so much more better, or even Shadoe Stevens. (Yes Shadoe Stevens) is still out there and has a One Hour Weekend Top Ten Countdown "Top Of The World"

Yes, Sunny Joe White would roll over in his grave.

sad

Yeah, those 2 are good choices.

iknowpeople said:
Actually, 12 In A Row...the FM licenses are owned by the people, hence why the FCC governs it, and they can step in if a station is not operating in the interest of the public.

Although I'd LOVE for them to go after something like this...they wont. lol

Johnster said:
You are misunderstanding what is meant by operating in the interest of the public. The FCC has always maintained that they do not regulate programming. The same rules hold true for TV and you can have the Home Shopping Network on almost 24 hours of the day. Besides the small amount of required public service programming the rest is completely up to the licensee and none of this is new. What keeps stations trying to serve their audience is ratings. It's awfully hard to sell commercials for top dollar if you don't have the ratings to show prospective clients. And this in turn is why you no longer have formats that didn't work like Smooth Jazz, Progressive Talk and R&B. Because those formats in this market didn't make their owners enough money. This is commercial radio not public broadcasting. If ratings suffer during this show the show will fade away. The people have spoken.

From the best that I can tell, the public interest is really only making sure that a station conforms to community standards (ie, no indencency fines) has a working EBS, and has their manditory couple of hours of public issues programming each week.

Retro said:
From the best that I can tell, the public interest is really only making sure that a station conforms to community standards (ie, no indencency fines) has a working EBS, and has their manditory couple of hours of public issues programming each week.

EAS is the new EBS.

I don't know whether there's still actually any mandatory minimum for public affairs programming anymore, however, stations know that having some P.A. programming still helps to make them "look good" to the FCC at license renewal time.

The fact that the top station in the #10 market in the country had its mid-day shift voicetracked in the first place is ridiculous. Not to mention I wasn't a huge fan of how Shelley sounded. I haven't heard her on Z100, but she just didn't sound right on Kiss. You went from a program that pushes the envelope with the Matty Show, to a way too happy and cheery Shelley Wade, to "your boyfriend" Romeo, who could also push the envelope. It was almost a case of "one of these things is not like the other, one of these things just doesn't belong."

But now on top of her, you're going to bring in a syndicated show on a Top 10 station, AND take away another hour that could be life? Radio is on life support, my friends.

I feel sorry for all the local talent that has been bumped for crappy syndication. His show is very edited. The only benefit is that you never know what celebrity is going to walk in his studio and be on the air. Other than that, I don't even think Ryan Secrest is that good on the radio. He's better on TV.

bandman said:
I feel sorry for all the local talent that has been bumped for crappy syndication. His show is very edited. The only benefit is that you never know what celebrity is going to walk in his studio and be on the air. Other than that, I don't even think Ryan Secrest is that good on the radio. He's better on TV.

Yeah, he doesn't really strike me as having radio charisma either.

>That people 'know' Seacrest was not a part of this discussion. What this is about is the homogenization of >the dial. And, corporate thinking. Clear Channel is hurriedly slapping this show into markets (big and small) >where they have CHRs. Whether Seacrest is overexposed or whether he would be popular in a given market >does not seem to play into the bottom line thinking that's happening in the boardroom. Nor do local wishes, >apparently. It's a corporate edict.
>
Funny thing, though; when I've posted in the past defending pirates, praising community radio and damning corporate radio ALOT of people start talking in glowing terms and these corporate SOB's, and start talking about radio as though ratings are the only thing that counts..

People around here talk out of both sides of their mouths. And radio pays. Too bad.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom