• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

RYAN SEACREST TO LEAVE KIIS?

Don Paschal said:
I know this might be labeled as (A) wishful thinking and (B) it'll never happen (kinda like everything else on these borads)...but imagine that CC does what half this board has been predicting since Fred R. Rated stopped doing Federated Store commercials and turn their highly rated AM to FM silmucast at 92.3..what would happen to their highly paid (albiet these days voice tracked) morning guy.

(I know, I coulda just said, what about Dees, but I'm a bloviator...)

The same thing they did last time. Pay him off and send him on his way. Rick is a not a relevant factor in today's radio landscape, particularly if you've heard what his show sounds like on KHHT. What happens to him will be nothing more than a footnote to any transaction or format flip.

ChannelFlipper said:
The same thing they did last time. Pay him off and send him on his way. Rick is a not a relevant factor in today's radio landscape, particularly if you've heard what his show sounds like on KHHT. What happens to him will be nothing more than a footnote to any transaction or format flip.

I seriously doubt that Rick's getting paid more than $200K a year for his radio gig. And that's being generous.

It would be painfully hilarious if KIIS brought Dees back. I know KIIS would lose millions, but I'd sure love to hear the show.

Grandpa Dees on KIIS! ;D

henry said:
It would be painfully hilarious if KIIS brought Dees back. I know KIIS would lose millions, but I'd sure love to hear the show.

Grandpa Dees on KIIS! ;D

Rick still has his syndicated shows on the weekends and he VT's on many Cumulus stations so hes not hurting. On the other hand KHHT ratings have improved since his arrival. Hell if Art Laboe can still be on the air why not Rick?

wdb2003 said:
henry said:

Grandpa Dees on KIIS! ;D

Rick still has his syndicated shows on the weekends and he VT's on many Cumulus stations so hes not hurting. On the other hand KHHT ratings have improved since his arrival. Hell if Art Laboe can still be on the air why not Rick?

They still put dinosaurs like Charlie Tuna on KRTH. Maybe that's Rick's final destination.

SimiRadioListener26 said:
wdb2003 said:
henry said:

Grandpa Dees on KIIS! ;D

They still put dinosaurs like Charlie Tuna on KRTH. Maybe that's Rick's final destination.

It should have been his destination after he left KIIS. And the rumors are that he had a good, but not great, offer from CBS at the time to go there. But Rick saw himself as being a DJ for hit music still aimed at the young demos. The only problem was the ratings at KIIS were showing that the younger demos didn't see Rick back the same way. Had he gone to directly to KRTH, he could have gone as the star and radio legend worthy of his many years of success in this market, and I believe he would still be viewed that way today.

But those years on the beach hurt him much more than he probably could have ever imagined, and he now seems like a talent from the past, local radio's own version of Norma Desmond and his show seems like it is the same show he was doing in the 80's. Even when he took the KHHT job, it seemed more like the station was doing him a favor. To be fair though, the station is up since he got there, so he must have something to do with that. I just think he hurt his own stature tremendously by trying to be the DJ to the kids when the generation past him by, instead of growing old gracefully with his audience who have moved on from the KIIS/CHR scene.

ChannelFlipper said:
It should have been his destination after he left KIIS. And the rumors are that he had a good, but not great, offer from CBS at the time to go there. But Rick saw himself as being a DJ for hit music still aimed at the young demos. The only problem was the ratings at KIIS were showing that the younger demos didn't see Rick back the same way. Had he gone to directly to KRTH, he could have gone as the star and radio legend worthy of his many years of success in this market, and I believe he would still be viewed that way today.

Totally agree! Dees and KRTH go hand in hand because Dees has a history with the audience and the playlist. I'm sure he regrets skipping out on KRTH as well, as I've heard CBS is a little more kind with their personalities when compared to Clear Channel.

However, if Dees gets booted off KHHT for some reason, I'm sure his next destination would be SiriusXM.

wdb2003 said:
henry said:

Grandpa Dees on KIIS! ;D

People Please may I have the floor? KIIS FM is geared to the kiddies so bringing back Rick Dees is COMPLETELY out of the question folks. He's best off staying at KThHHT. Yes the L.A. Market is flooded with veterans who have been on the same stations for many decades. Lon McQ is another fine example of a radio veteran because he's doing afternoons on KJLH for many years. People KIIS FM is the Number 1 rated CHR in Los Angeles and bringing Rick Dees will drive their teenage fanbase away so that would an ultimate NO NO my fellow Angelenos.

BJordan said:
People Please may I have the floor? KIIS FM is geared to the kiddies

Their target, as is the case with most CHR's, is Women 18-34.

People KIIS FM is the Number 1 rated CHR in Los Angeles and bringing Rick Dees will drive their teenage fanbase away so that would an ultimate NO NO my fellow Angelenos.

KIIS does not care, particularly, about its teens... it's simply that a lot of 18-34 and even 18-34 women tend to share musical tastes with teens. So, in a sense, if you appeal to teens you get the desired... and salable adult women... so you can't shed the teens without losing the core adult listeners.

wdb2003 said:
On the other hand KHHT ratings have improved since his arrival. Hell if Art Laboe can still be on the air why not Rick?

6-10 is getting less than a 2 share, while the rest of the day is averaging over a 3.5 in the last book.

DavidEduardo said:
6-10 is getting less than a 2 share, while the rest of the day is averaging over a 3.5 in the last book.

That's interesting! Are those overall ratings or 18-49?

I haven't been able to listen to his show recently. Does anyone the ratio of talk to music on there?

radiojomo said:
DavidEduardo said:

That's interesting! Are those overall ratings or 18-49?

I haven't been able to listen to his show recently. Does anyone the ratio of talk to music on there?

Sorry, forgot to mention demo: 25-54, which I assume is the target for that program and station in 6-10-

I've listened (or "heard" in PPM terms) the show several times. The office staff at my dentist's office has it on, and I've listened for an hour or so on three recent occasions while waiting for a family member. The bits are very short, and I found the show pretty well paced. It sounds like no more than 10 to 12 minutes talk per hour. Now, a caveat: I listened from 8:30 to around 9:30 or 10 on all occasions, and lots of morning shows now cut the talk in the last hour or so...

I've never been a Dees fan as such... even back when I competed with him at 'ERC when he was on WSGN (and left town when SGN crashed against an FM CHR). But I have to admit that the show was well paced and pretty well targeted for the demo/ethnicity they are after.

DavidEduardo said:
Sorry, forgot to mention demo: 25-54, which I assume is the target for that program and station in 6-10-

I've listened (or "heard" in PPM terms) the show several times. The office staff at my dentist's office has it on, and I've listened for an hour or so on three recent occasions while waiting for a family member. The bits are very short, and I found the show pretty well paced. It sounds like no more than 10 to 12 minutes talk per hour. Now, a caveat: I listened from 8:30 to around 9:30 or 10 on all occasions, and lots of morning shows now cut the talk in the last hour or so...

I've never been a Dees fan as such... even back when I competed with him at 'ERC when he was on WSGN (and left town when SGN crashed against an FM CHR). But I have to admit that the show was well paced and pretty well targeted for the demo/ethnicity they are after.

Thanks for the report, David!

I'm sure Dees has gained a reputation with the 25-54 demo after all his years on KIIS. Maybe the show just needs time to grow.

ChannelFlipper said:
SimiRadioListener26 said:
wdb2003 said:
henry said:
It would be painfully hilarious if KIIS brought Dees back.  I know KIIS would lose millions, but I'd sure love to hear the show.

Grandpa Dees on KIIS!   ;D

.. I just think he hurt his own stature tremendously by trying to be the DJ to the kids when the generation past him by, instead of growing old gracefully with his audience who have moved on from the KIIS/CHR scene. 

Easier said than done, from an outsider (or another person) point of view. I know this is radio and not psychology, but I'll say it anyway; When you have a true passion for something that happens to be age restricted or age limited, it's difficult to just accept that you're older and it's time to move on. To most looking in from the outside, it seems as easy as "your time is up - get over it and move on" and it's easy to say what someone should have done based on what looks like the best decision. However, imagine you yourself being the one who's looking and sounding different on the outside but feeling the same as always on the inside hitting a point in your life where things have changed and your physical appearances and styles no longer fit in with the new present, regardless of how hard you try. It's not going to be easy for you to just give up what you know and love and "stick with your generation".

I'm not too close to Rick Dees's age yet, but I can understand what he may be going through. I'm trying to imagine how I would feel if I still loved and had a drive to push the music I play today and always loved once I become a senior citizen. How would it feel to know that I no longer physically look and sound the way I feel inside? Would I give it up and stick with some generational time period of music or demographics instead of staying true to what I passionately love - just for the generous offer of money? Would I be able to see what I could do / should do next at a certain time in my life when the option was available, or would I be too blinded with trying to continue following my youthful passion that I would not choose to do the "graceful thing" and stick with my generation, despite the fact that my time is up?

On a bit of an unrelated note, I'm sure Madonna feels the same way. Look at the type of music she's putting out on her new 2012 album. She's still trying to be that young pop superstar and hold on to that feeling despite the fact that....it's over. I seriously doubt many, if an, of her songs will hit.

I'm not sure if I'd say that Rick Dees should've done would he could've done. I believe instead that as long as he's doing what's true to him and maintaining some sort of success and happiness from it, that will be much more fulfilling than whatever he could've done to get more money or age gracefully. I just looked up KRTH and I can only look at that and think; Basically, Rick Dees going to KRTH to be remembered as something and possibly make more steady money would've meant "giving up his younger years and true passion for chr to gain/keep an image within something that wasn't ever necessarily his true passion". In my opinion, I'd rather fight to fit in with the times where my passion lies than to "give it up gracefully" and consider myself involuntarily stuck in another generation.

Anyway, enough with the psychology and my fears of getting older. You may now get back to Ryan Seacrest and who might replace him..... when his time is up.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom