• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity

Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity are being dropped by Culumus/Premiere citing the cost to distribute their show and big advertisers distancing themselves from the 2,which is long, cost too much.
40+ markets and no Rush and Sean? wow! (Huff. Post)
???
Although CC is big do you think they will cancel whatever left on Rush's contract?
Is this the end for Rush on radio? Next move Fox News?
Is Hannity a CC label also? and is it the end for him on radio?. #2 behind Billy O on Fox News.

My guess is Clear Channel will pick him up. And seeing where KJR-AM is, I would not be surprised if there's a shakeup in formats and they wind up there.

Last I checked both hosts were on Bonneville in Seattle and thus should be unaffected in this market.

This is more about CC recently acquiring WOR and wanting to take their "premiere" products away from WABC as their contract with Cumulus winds down.

Business as usual in the ruthless world of corporate radio sales.

notalent said:
Last I checked both hosts were on Bonneville in Seattle and thus should be unaffected in this market.

This is more about CC recently acquiring WOR and wanting to take their "premiere" products away from WABC as their contract with Cumulus winds down.

It's when their Bonneville contract is up is when it could get interesting

notalent said:

Agree with the Bonneville statement. If CC acquires KVI then they MIGHT move there - but that's a longshot.

The other part of this move is Cumulus wanting to keep all those avails they're essentially giving away to CC (thru Premiere).

Mike Brewer said:
notalent said:

Agree with the Bonneville statement. If CC acquires KVI then they MIGHT move there - but that's a longshot.

The other part of this move is Cumulus wanting to keep all those avails they're essentially giving away to CC (thru Premiere).

My speculation with Clear Channel/KJR-AM stems from Clear Channel/Premiere wanting to cut costs and that Clear Channel/Cumulus have station clusters in most of the big markets they're in. And KJR-AM is pretty much an underachiever in a market up to here in sports stations. Secondly in most markets where Clear Channel is present, Rush/Hannity are already on their stations.

Bonneville has them.....for now. But who's to say for the future?

On the flipside. Signal-wise, KJR-AM is actually pretty wimpy for a 50,000 watt station. You can hear them pretty clearly anywhere in Puget Sound if you're along the coastal areas, but you can barely hear them in the hinterlands like Snohomish and Mount Vernon. Even KGNW comes in better even though KJR-AM and KGNW are diplexed together (KGMI/KPUG are weakened terrestrially in more inland areas of Skagit and North Snohomish counties, where there are pockets of dedicated hardcore conservatives.) KTTH does come in better in these areas, but barely. And KVI really doesn't come in at all in them (I swear KVI's grounding needs work because even in areas away from the urban noise, you still can't hear them. I used to pick up KVI loud and clear back in the '80s on the highway to Newhalem when they were oldies. Now I can't hear them at all.)

So what's the future? My Ouija board said "It is what it is punk" my crystal ball is blurry and my tarot cards turned up the two of cups (which is kinda ODD - usually means you'll fall in love.) So my guess and that of the fates is as good as anyone else's......

Tried to hear KVI 100 miles away one time on the Washington Coast. Just a very faint mumbling. Something has been wrong with KVI for a while now.

-crainbebo

Stations sharing towers can have any pattern they choose, It would be odd for two stations on the same towers to have the same signal unless they were omni directional and near the same frequency.

The KGNW pattern was designed in the 80's for protection requirements that existed at that time.

CC designed the KJR pattern in 2003 and protect a whole different set of signals. At the same time the ambient RF noise levels have increased massively since the 80's thus a much stronger signal is needed in the high density (high income) areas of the market.

a 10mvm signal in 1983 was loud and clear... nowdays not so much. mostly due to lax enforcement of RF emitting devices, usually installed by other government agencies!
And also due to the fact that hardly anyone listens to AM anymore so people just think the stations are weaker.

KJR AM was intentionally designed to have a weaker signal in the hinterlands, that was the tradeoff to get more power into the core of the market.

That being said I wouldn't be surprised to see a change in programming on 950. Very few larger market CC stations have so much live local talent anymore. Clearly KJR has spent the last 10 years running off talent that got "too expensive" and are now left (with the arguable exception of Mitch) with those "willing" to work cheap.

Add some competition to that and the outcome is obvious.

KJR-AM has the strongest Seattle signal on the northern Oregon Coast at night and is usually equal to KOMO in Portland at night.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom