• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Running An "NPR" station in the middle of nowhere

How middle of nowhere? Look up "just east of gods creation nowhere", and i think theres a picture of our village in the dictionary

I manage the day to day operations of an NPR station in rural Alaska and around here, you don't get many people calling or texting just to say how much hey enjoy something or liked that song or whatever. It's just not the attitude around here, but doesnt mean they arent enjoying it.

We have local shows 8 to 9 and 12noon to 4 weekdays, 7 to 9pm Friday nights.. and anything goes musically, especially on Friday nights. Yesterday I was playing 60s and 70s oldies and got a text from a community member, "Sure enjoying the heck out of your radio show tonight, Excellent. Thank You Paul"

I know when I get a compliment out here, I've earned it. And after growing up and knowing all through middle and high school that i wanted to be in radio, I've been doing it for nearly 20 years.. and compliments like this, no matter how simple .. are a real driving force to keep me going.

I also like the fact that my situation with complete freedom of any interference from my board and the ability to go all over the map musically is real refreshing and fun.

Last edited:
Alaska has been a deep red state for years. Do you get much feedback about the alleged "liberal bias" of NPR? In these polarized times, even your choice of music and musical artists can stir listeners up.

Alaska has been a deep red state for years. Do you get much feedback about the alleged "liberal bias" of NPR? In these polarized times, even your choice of music and musical artists can stir listeners up.

In my specific listening area, not a bunch no.. because we are the ONLY reliable, and daily source of national, regional and local news. Out here ive found there are vast political differences, but .. like we kinda respect each other. I got into a somewhat heated discussion on facebook, which included a community member.. im way more of the NPR type, shes not.. but we still laugh, talk and whatnot.

I guess i say that to say this.. yes, we occasionally hear stuff.. but nothing to the level of the "fake news" cries from FOX news loversin the lower 48.. because people also realize what we provide, something that no one else out here does.

I know for a fact two or 3 community members im close to love Fox news, but they still also listen to KSKO and NPR

My brother lives a mile up on a mountain in Alaska. He loves that State. He sees more bears, moose, and magpies than people though. But it's beautiful.

Good to have a source for NPR.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom