• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Rumors of new Sirius channel lineup effective 2/14/07

Mark Goodman and Nina Blackwood may have inspired you, that I cannot argue. [EDIT] No, you didnt cite Carson Daly but you didnt cite anyone in particular. Stern? When was Stern on MTV? Stern loved Alex Bennett and that was his inspiration. Alex was a DJ. On a radio station. Why do you think all the young talent sucks these days? They were all inspired (said in whiny voice) MTV VJ's. Sirius jocks are knowledgable and bland. If that's greatness than it has eluded me somehow.

[EDIT-inflammatory]

shmee said:
THEY can add channels BUT they cant ADD more colleges?! what is the DEAL WITH THAT?! :mad:

the only college I personally wish they would add is the University Of Georgia... Many of the others are carried on XM, such as the ACC, Big Ten, Pac 10 and Big East..

beef said:
Mark Goodman and Nina Blackwood may have inspired you, that I cannot argue. [EDIT] No, you didnt cite Carson Daly but you didnt cite anyone in particular. Stern? When was Stern on MTV? Stern loved Alex Bennett and that was his inspiration. Alex was a DJ. On a radio station. Why do you think all the young talent sucks these days? They were all inspired (said in whiny voice) MTV VJ's. Sirius jocks are knowledgable and bland. If that's greatness than it has eluded me somehow.

[EDIT-inflammatory]
I only used Stern to further back up my statement that Sirius does have some heavy hitting talent as part of its offerings. Additionally, as a kid of the MTV Era, I like the old VJ's on the 80's channel. If its not your thing, that no big deal but I relate to it as do many others who listen to that channel. On the whole, I think satellite radio is starting to fall into the same trap that terrestrial radio is and that means less time and less money spent on talent development. Jocks are no longer live - instead they voicetrack days at a time. Phoners have become a thing of the past, as you cannot air calls with no one in the studios, so I think a lot of these jocks are just making the best of their shifts they can.

We've finally reached common ground. Sirius isnt putting anything into talent development and live radio. Tough to do a voicetracked shift because you have a safety net (a do over) and because you're doing it as fast as you can not vibing with the music.

I subscribed to Sirius specifically for the "Standard Time" channel, since none of my local terrestrial stations play this kind of music. I grew up listening to the late, great WNEW (AM) in New York City and I still miss that station. As such, I am FUMING over the replacement of "Standard Time" with an all-Sinatra channel.

Frank Sinatra was one of America's great artists. But I don't want to hear a steady diet of nothing but Sinatra. That makes about as much sense as making "Sirius Gold" into an all-Beatles or all-Elvis channel or turning "Soul Town" into an all-James Brown channel. I used to tune out William B. Williams on WNEW when he got on a Sinatra kick, as I quickly got tired of the "Chairman of the Board". And Jonathan Schwartz (a Sinatra worshipper who is now on XM) was like a finger to the back of my throat, as his show was a better emetic than syrup of ipecac!

Who is the butthead at Sirius who thought up this move? I have to PAY to hear this crap? I won't be renewing...

k2pg said:
I subscribed to Sirius specifically for the "Standard Time" channel, since none of my local terrestrial stations play this kind of music. I grew up listening to the late, great WNEW (AM) in New York City and I still miss that station. As such, I am FUMING over the replacement of "Standard Time" with an all-Sinatra channel.

Frank Sinatra was one of America's great artists. But I don't want to hear a steady diet of nothing but Sinatra. That makes about as much sense as making "Sirius Gold" into an all-Beatles or all-Elvis channel or turning "Soul Town" into an all-James Brown channel. I used to tune out William B. Williams on WNEW when he got on a Sinatra kick, as I quickly got tired of the "Chairman of the Board". And Jonathan Schwartz (a Sinatra worshipper who is now on XM) was like a finger to the back of my throat, as his show was a better emetic than syrup of ipecac!

Who is the butthead at Sirius who thought up this move? I have to PAY to hear this crap? I won't be renewing...
Then jump to XM...6 to 1, a half dozen to the other

ercjncpr said:
Then jump to XM...6 to 1, a half dozen to the other

Unfortunately, XM is no better. They feature Jonathan Schwartz on their standards channel. He is another Sinatra worshipper whom I used to tune out whenever he was on the long-gone WNEW. His show was quite nauseating and I could not tolerate it for more than five minutes. Why do the satellite people feel that Frank Sinatra is the only standards artist?

I stopped listening to terrestrial radio because I got sick of the limited choice of formats (including the total lack of a standards station in my market) and the very limited playlists within each format. Of course, the fact that I thoroughly detest all four of the formats available on the local terrestrial stations helped me to decide to get a satellite receiver. A visit to a local electronics store that had Sirius "Standard Time" playing on a display radio clinched the deal.

Terrestrial broadcasters play what the ad agencies and their clients want them to play, as the advertisers support those stations. But WE are paying for the programming on Sirius and XM. I paid for my Sirius subscription specifically so that I could hear the standards that are totally absent from the AM and FM bands in my area. I don't appreciate losing my standards channel after ponying up $142 for an annual subscription to hear a monotonous channel featuring a single artist. And standards fans certainly deserve better than an all-Sinatra channel. Would the rock fans want an all-Green Day channel? How about turning "Soul Town" into an all-James Brown channel? Would the rock and soul fans even tolerate such a thing?

Sirius offers at least 21 channels featuring various flavors of rock and two channels featuring Howard Stern talking about genitalia. Why are we standards fans limited to a Broadway show tunes channel and a soon-to-be all-Sinatra channel?

Okay, back on subject. Let's see what we have missing now from our units.
Revolution-don't really care
C-SPAN-miss the Sunday news magazines
WRN-This channel was great, but is now being butchered for sports, the reason why C-SPAN wanted out
Hardcore Sports-was just getting into this channel dammit!
Sports Byline USA-pretty crappy all around channel, but served an OK replacement for ESPN whenan NBA game was on
Discovery Radio-I liked Mo Rocca's show
The Globe-Never really had it, so no comment

What did we gain?
A Punk channel-No comment. I LOVE punk rock, but since it's currently running the Who, I don't know if it actually plays good punk like the Sex Pistols and Social Distortion, and not crappy "punk" like Fall Out Boy.
The Foxxhole-No comment, hasn't started yet
Siriusly Sinatra-No comment, hasn't started yet
Lithium 24-Pretty decent actually. I'm a kid of the '90s, so it's a little nostalgic for me.
A few blank channels for sports events-No comment

k2pg said:

I like Sinatra, but Sirius has guaranteed they will never get me as a subscriber. They actually had the better standards channel, in my opinion, though XM has 40s. But Sirius has no easy listening station. Only something with soft oldies. I can hear that now on FM. I want STANDARDS.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom