• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

RIP: Paul Lotsoff, KAVV 97.7 Benson

Sad, but not unexpected.

KPGX??? Are those call letters correct, an online search turned up nothing. Bedrock Media appears to be an ad agency and marketing company, with no radio ownership.

KPGX??? Are those call letters correct, an online search turned up nothing. Bedrock Media appears to be an ad agency and marketing company, with no radio ownership.
Damn, you're right. KPGX was the call I entered into Google and got what I thought was a KPGX Wikipedia page. Tried it again and now I see that what Google gives for a result is actually KPQX, in Idaho. Sneaky! I'm also wondering whether there's a Bedrock/Kaveman connection -- could Bedrock be a consortium of people who already have ties to Lotsoff?

Update: The true results page for "KPGX radio." It includes a Wikipedia page for KDVK, apparently an earlier call, that has no link to the station's current call, and a Facebook page for "Redrock 103.5," a classic rock station in Navajo Mtn./Lake Powell. Mystery solved, but it seems that KPGX is a station with a minimal internet presence.

According to a September 2 radioINSIGHT article:
"Thomas Troland’s Desert Explorer Communication LLC sells Classic Rock “Redrock 103.5” KPGX Navajo Mountain UT to non-profit Across Nations for $70,000. The buyer operates a network of Christian stations targeting the Navajo and Hopi Nations."

Update: The true results page for "KPGX radio." It includes a Wikipedia page for KDVK, apparently an earlier call, that has no link to the station's current call, and a Facebook page for "Redrock 103.5," a classic rock station in Navajo Mtn./Lake Powell. Mystery solved, but it seems that KPGX is a station with a minimal internet presence.
Thanks for the find to figure this out. Some pieces that are interesting about it is the involvement of Michael Mallace, who was GM at Sierra H Broadcasting (Phoenix). If he is running this station, except good things on both KPGX and KAVV. I can imagine he will put a lot.of effort and thought in to it, no matter what his plans are with KAVV.

Does KPGX actually do classic country on its HD2, as the Wikipedia article on the station indicates? I assume that's an automated jukebox or a syndicated format, so is it likely that Bedrock will feed that to KAVV, clean out the air staff and just run KAVV as a bare-bones classic country station out of a broom closet?
Thats Tom Trolland, he uses Westwood one... there will likely be changes at KAVV

I knew about this the day after Paul died, tom told me what was in the works.. that he was buying KAVV

Thats Tom Trolland, he uses Westwood one... there will likely be changes at KAVV

I knew about this the day after Paul died, tom told me what was in the works.. that he was buying KAVV
Certainly going to be interesting times in Cochise County broadcasting circles.

Certainly going to be interesting times in Cochise County broadcasting circles.

KPGX Was just sold too.

will KAVV change formats? as much as tom loves the ww1 classic htis format.... he put 101.5 grand junction co and 102.3 provincetown, ma on air using those formats.. i dont think hed do that here, but id betcha almost $20 he willput on a westwood one classic country format

...id betcha almost $20 he willput on a westwood one classic country format
Probably not a bad pick, thought not down there often enough to know what's being offered.

Probably not a bad pick, thought not down there often enough to know what's being offered.

I need to tell tom he should go with the Local Radio Network's classic country format, but im biased there:)

I dont beleive there are any other classic country stations down there

Lotsof was 79 years old. His early posts in this forum indicate he was a former resident of WNY and a broadcaster here. The KAVV website says that his dad fronted the money for him to apply for an FM license in Benson, AZ in 1977. He cobbled together used gear that had largely been discarded by bigger stations and got the station on the air in 1983. It's been broadcasting since then with mostly live talent. Lotsof purchased an FM translator in 2017 that covers Benson, but not much more of the AM's service area.

Lotsof maintained that his "PSA" was misunderstood. Judge for yourself:

Paul Lotsof bought the 104.1 translator to put it on the air and then flip it for a lot of money. He expected that someone would buy it to move it to Tucson.

Benson's 104.1 can be moved to another frequency so it doesn't matter if there is a 104.1 in Tucson now..it can still be moved to Tucson..

Cave Music

KAVV currently has translator at 104.1:

Yes, simulcast on KEVT 1210 for six months at the most. The AM audio was horrible with static.
So it looks like K281CC has been moved to the 97.7 transmitter site East of Benson, off I-10...it used to be on the small tower out behind the "Cave Eyesore" singlewide that KAVV broadcast from in Benson on 5th Avenue..The new owner apparently got rid of the "Eyesore" so it had to go somewhere..

Back
Top Bottom