• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Rick Funke's Last Week on Channel 10

There was a very nice article in the Democrat & Chronicle newspaper regarding the pending retirement this week of Channel 10 news anchor Rich Funke.

With the exception of Don Alhart, Funke has been one of the longest serving TV anchors on Rochester television; first as sports director then later news anchor.

And let's not minimize Janet Lomax's longevity on the channel 10 anchor desk, too. I'm trying to remember just when she started co-anchoring with Gabe; I'm thinking it had to have been the late 1970s at the latest, back when Rich was establishing himself on sports.

I still don’t understand why Channel 10 did not promote someone already at the station as co-anchor to replace Rich Funke. After all that appears to be the game plan at Channel 13 when Alhart finally retires; unless of course the new owners of WHAM TV have different plans in mind.

Rich's departure is a BIG loss for Channel 10. He's a talented man, a class act and a caring guy who's in touch with the town. He will truly be missed. You can't really replace him...you can only hope that in time, whoever you put in that anchor chair can be developed into a broadcaster with a similar connection with the community.

10 can do it (in the past they certainly succeeded, and quickly, in developing Janet Lomax's bonds with the community). Across town Channel 8 has done a good job in building a following for Kevin Doran and Maureen McGuire and turning Rochester into a real 3-station competitive market. And of course the way Channel 13 has built followings for Don Alhart, Doug Emblidge and Ginny Ryan are a model for all stations to follow. But now's the time for 10 to begin again.

This is also a cautionary tale for whoever winds up in day to day command of Channel 13 under that awkward transfer arrangement involving Sinclair and other interests, not to mess with a good thing.

The Voice of Reason said:
I still don’t understand why Channel 10 did not promote someone already at the station as co-anchor to replace Rich Funke. After all that appears to be the game plan at Channel 13 when Alhart finally retires; unless of course the new owners of WHAM TV have different plans in mind.

I posted something about that awhile back. I suggested Berkely Brean. The viewers are familiar with him, and he would fit right in. No disrespect to Don Hudson, who I'm sure is very talented, but he's a new face, and I am not sure if the viewers warmed up to him yet.

Bob1370 said:
Rich's departure is a BIG loss for Channel 10. He's a talented man, a class act and a caring guy who's in touch with the town. He will truly be missed. You can't really replace him...you can only hope that in time, whoever you put in that anchor chair can be developed into a broadcaster with a similar connection with the community.

10 can do it (in the past they certainly succeeded, and quickly, in developing Janet Lomax's bonds with the community). Across town Channel 8 has done a good job in building a following for Kevin Doran and Maureen McGuire and turning Rochester into a real 3-station competitive market. And of course the way Channel 13 has built followings for Don Alhart, Doug Emblidge and Ginny Ryan are a model for all stations to follow. But now's the time for 10 to begin again.

This is also a cautionary tale for whoever winds up in day to day command of Channel 13 under that awkward transfer arrangement involving Sinclair and other interests, not to mess with a good thing.
I am sure 10 was developing Pat McGonigle as the next guy for Rich, but he ended up leaving. Pat would have been good for Rich, I am not sure if Lia Lando could be Janet's replacement. I don't see her with a long career in Rochester.

While it has only been a few weeks since Funke's departure, Don Hudson really doesn't do much for me in the way of wanting to watch Channel 10 news.

Teaming Hudson and Lando together is a disaster.

While it has only been a few weeks since Funke's departure, Don Hudson really doesn't do much for me in the way of wanting to watch Channel 10 news.

Give the guy a chance. Heck he's only been on the air a few weeks. As for Ms. Lando, if you don't like watching her on TV there are two other stations that offer news. (Three if you count YNN).

Channel 10 should have tried to keep Pat McGonigle. Maybe he wanted to move to a larger market or was told that he wasn't going to replace Funke when Funke retired; who knows?

I hear you. With all due respect to Mr. Hudson, who is very talented, I believe Channel 10 did a rush job in replacing Mr. Funke. Now I will admit, I am not in the business, I am a viewer, so speaking from a viewing point of view, 10 should have established an outsider for a while before making them the replacement. Pat McGonicle was a good choice. That is why I suggested Berkeley Brean. Maybe not for long term, but he's from inside and the viewers know him. I will give Don Hudson a chance, but he might not have a long career here in Rochester.

As far as Lia Lando, she doesn't cut it at all for me.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom