• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Review: Radiosophy HD100 and San Diego Radio Reception

hipman2

Inactive
Inactive User
http://www.sandiegoradionews.com/0100.htm

Excerpts:

KOGO 600 broadcasting in HD went from scratchy analog to crystal clear digital when the HD signal locked in five seconds after I tuned in the station. This is like going from black and white to color.

On the FM side, I was surprised at how different the radio acted when I used an Optima indoor antenna instead of the built-in FM antenna, which I unscrewed so I could screw in the plug for the Optima.

I could pick up KPBS-HD1 and KPBS-HD2 easily on 89.5. Classical music was playing on both stations. KPBS-HD1 (which is KPBS-FM in analog) broadcasts classical music in the evening. There was no HD3 channel yet for Groove Salad.

The transmitter location for KHTS and KGB-FM was the closest to my house. I picked up Channel 933 on KHTS-HD1 93.3 and Pride Radio on HD2 with ease, as well as classic rock KGB-HD1 101.5 and DSC on HD2. There were relatively few HD dropouts, that is, a second or two of silence before the signal returns, much like listening to a streaming radio feed on a dial-up modem in 1997.

KMYI "Star 94.1" is the strongest local station in the county at 100,000 watts, yet I had a little trouble picking up its HD2 channel Amy, as well as its HD1 channel. There were slightly more dropouts of the HD signal on 94.1.

US 95.7 and Rock 105.3 were the most difficult of the five Clear Channel owned stations to pick up in HD. With the built-in antenna, I could rarely get their HD signals at all. With the Optima antenna hooked up, I had better luck picking up the HD1 and HD2 channels, but with effort of turning the antenna around. US 95.7 HD2 has New Country, and Rock 105.3 HD2 has Rock Mashups.

KSON 97.3 HD1 came in easily. There are no HD2 channels for that station yet.

KYXY 96.5's HD channels came in fine. HD1 is KYXY, and HD2 is Cafe with Jazz and Modern Pop music.

KSCF 103.7's HD channels also came in fine. HD1 is Radio Sophie, and HD2 is House of Sophie airing electronica and dance music, like Pride Radio on 93.3 HD2 is.

XHKY 99.7 from Tijuana is now multicasting in HD with two Spanish language music channels, both coming in fine from 30 miles away.

On the critical side, I wish that the unit had Line-Out jacks so I could hook it up to my stereo unit. The speakers are fair, but when I hooked it up to my stereo unit from the headphone jack, the audio didn't sound right. I had to turn the volume up all the way so that the sound level coming into the AUX-IN jack of my stereo unit would match that of some of my analog VCRs. At least I could amplify the sound and use an equalizer on the sound. I guess the volume level for the headphone jack is low so that your ears won't go deaf when you're listening to the radio with headphones.

The signal strength meter is a plus. I haven't seen one on a radio in 27 years. This helps me pinpoint the strength of a radio signal. You have to use the Enter button and scroll until you see it.

In short, this could have been a better radio, but it's good enough for what I want for now.

Hipman2 --- I too have the same radio. From my vantage point at 92056, I get la LA stations instead of Channel 933. However, I note that you used a better antenna and I'll try that.

I can get KNX, KLAC, and KO-GO in HD. Catches at night include KSL/Salt Lake, KOA/Denver, and KFBK/Arnoldville-Sac. I used to get KABC la LA at night until the company dropped night time IBOC.

Good catch on the strength meter.

I also like the hidden feature of RDS on analog radio. It is quirky mostly because of the RDS features and how it is implemented.

For $99, not a bad radio. The big-ass wall plug in is actually an isolation transformer for the AM side of the radio.

Thanks for the review. I've been considering one of the Radiosophy units, and this helps (especially since so many folks have complained about the Sonys).

- Doc

HD Radio is a white elephant. Only radio people or broadcasting buffs care about it.
On AM its a disaster, causing interference up to 3 adjacent channels. It sounds like
a bad web stream not a radio signal.

doublecashkgb said:
HD Radio is a white elephant. Only radio people or broadcasting buffs care about it. On AM its a disaster, causing interference up to 3 adjacent channels. It sounds like a bad web stream not a radio signal.

Yep, pointing out the merely obvious. I have to agree, there is no real hook for HDRadio. The music is the same on KMYI-HD2 , for the most part, that of Star 94.1. The only advantage today: No commercials. I have the JVC-HD100 in the car. Severe reception issues in North County on FM. AM is interesting; however, Roger Hedgecock on KOGO is still Roger Hedgecock on KOGO-HD. KNX has great sounders, but .... where's the hook?

FM wise, listening to the HD2 is hit and mostly miss. KyXy's HD2 has good music; but I cannot get a steady signal in my area when traveling. Likewise, I would enjoy KGB-HD2 .... but there's Mount Whitney is San Marcos that blocks my view to the south. (Yes, that is Mount Whitney fans .... http://www.ci.san-marcos.ca.us/departments.asp?id=3348 http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=mount+whitney,+san+marcos,+california&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=43.934478,68.378906&ie=UTF8&ll=33.108546,-117.157817&spn=0.022791,0.033388&t=p&z=15&om=1
)

Just like AM stereo, HDRadio will be a flash in the pan while the real sizzle is on the wireless net and/0r satellite radio.

I tend to agree with Chris. It's unfortunate, really, because HD had the potential to be so much more. "It'll promote format diversity," they told us... But if you trust the same people who've been programming what's on conventional AM & FM to do something different when given a new medium, that's your fault, not theirs.

- Doc

I also agree with the poster who said that HD is a white elephant. Someone sold the radio industry a bill of goods, IMHO. There's really nothing there.

<vent>

white elephant? It better be ivory -- as HDRadio is expensive. Wait wait .... it's also terrain dependent. It goes back to "When is the last time you bought a radio?" Most consumers buy something that has a radio in it. Stand alone radios, and HDRadios are indeed, a white elephant.

However it's an elephant that the consumers will be led down and told it's all good.

It's all good for the company that license the standard.

That aside, the Radiosophy HD100 and the JVC HD100 radios are really good. It's the HDRadio programming and in most part, the signal ... that sucks.

</vent>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom