• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Redbox transition to the streaming era

RedBox started out as a DVD rental Kiosk in the 2000's and early 2010's now the company is pivoting to streaming services

Comparisons to Netflix come often for streaming video services and they don’t always make sense. But in the case of Redbox, the two companies seem to have similar trajectories.

Netflix spent years building a physical media distribution business but has since moved on to become the biggest subscription streaming platform in the world. Redbox amassed an army of kiosks to similarly push DVDs and Blu-rays but has more recently focused on growing its digital business through AVOD and FAST services along with an upcoming SVOD channels service.

Interesting. I just commented to someone a few weeks ago that I was surprised the Redtox kiosks are still located at several grocery stores and a few Walgreens here. My last 3 laptops haven't had DVD/CD players in them, and though my home theater system has a DVD player, it's been years since I've used it.

That said, if they're just now seriously jumping into the VOD/streaming business they may be late to the game. So many other options right now that Redbox would really need to show significant added value vs. the other players - either a cheaper subscription charge or many more available movie titles, etc. In my experience, for instance, where Netflix falls short is that they're great at offering their own series and they do have a rotating library of movies and shows, but when I'm searching for a specific movie I have in mind and want to watch, Netflix rarely has it. If Redbox can fill that void, I'd definitely consider signing up.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom