• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

RD Blocked on PC using Mint Linux

Anyone ever get this? Started this morning. I'm on an older desktop computer using Firefox using Mint Linux. I'm posting from a laptop ATM to make posts. Thanks.

Attachments

• radiodiscussionsblocked.png
    radiodiscussionsblocked.png
    60.5 KB · Views: 9
As I don't have access to the Cloudflare configuration, I cannot say for sure but I don't believe the OS is the issue with the limited information provided.

The warning message is about a script being run from your side while accessing the site. Do you have any extraneous characters in the URL? Is the device potentially infected? Are both your laptop and desktop on the same IP address?

As I don't have access to the Cloudflare configuration, I cannot say for sure but I don't believe the OS is the issue with the limited information provided.
The old versions of Firefox WILL do that. The Fox now auto-updates, but recently I activated an old computer to search for a file and Firefox did not auto-update and it hung on a variety of sites.

(I use Firefox 95% of the time as I am neither fond of Microsoft nor Google).

Sidebar: in the era of "Swifties" are MicroSoft supporters "Softies"?

I run Firefox on Mint, and have never had that issue. How much RAM do you have? I have 8 Gb, which is about the minimum that Firefox needs.

I run Firefox on Mint, and have never had that issue. How much RAM do you have? I have 8 Gb, which is about the minimum that Firefox needs.
I've always had 128 or 256 Gb on desktops and 24 Gb or higher on laptops, and never had that issue with Firefox. I have read a lot about prior versions that did not flush "closed" files from memory causing lower RAM systems to choke, even with disk cache.

I also use Firefox most of the time. At a certain point Mozilla froze a legacy version (IIRC, an "Extended Release") of Firefox for older OS versions that couldn't be updated anymore due to the age of the hardware. Firefox itself continues to be upgraded and expanded, but if your old machine is locked into a geriatric release of Windows/MacOS/Linux, and therefore stuck with the Firefox ER version, it won't be aware of hardware improvements, newer development technologies or security evolutions, and hence will probably hang when it encounters such a scenario. There's really no solution except to upgrade* to more modern technology.

* Which doesn't necessarily mean brand new equipment, just newer equipment than what you're using.

I've always had 128 or 256 Gb on desktops and 24 Gb or higher on laptops, and never had that issue with Firefox. I have read a lot about prior versions that did not flush "closed" files from memory causing lower RAM systems to choke, even with disk cache.
Keith is talking RAM, you're talking storage memory (hard disk drive [HDD] or solid state disk [SSD] memory). Nobody has 128 or 256 gigs of RAM in their home PC. That amount's a stretch even for industrial-strength servers.

Keith is talking RAM, you're talking storage memory (hard disk drive [HDD] or solid state disk [SSD] memory). Nobody has 128 or 256 gigs of RAM in their home PC. That amount's a stretch even for industrial-strength servers.
No, I am talking about RAM... random access memory.

I'm sitting in front of the parts for my new build using a Ryzen Threadripper 7960 which will "only" have 128 Gb (G-Skill DDR5 32 Gb x 4) of RAM. My current system has 256 Gb of RAM. My 3 scanning desktops all have 128 Gb of RAM. My Lenovo laptop has 64 Gb.

(in my main system I have 16 tb of SSD (8 x 2 tb) in a RAID array for work storage, 3 mirrored 1 tb SSD boot drives and 120 tb in 6 x 20tb HDD hard drives for rotating backups. Even my 64 tb Synology NAS has a 64 tb backup mirror!)

The warning message is about a script being run from your side while accessing the site. Do you have any extraneous characters in the URL? Is the device potentially infected? Are both your laptop and desktop on the same IP address?
Same ISP. But having a cousin who works on servers and has worked with Cloudflare working on the machine. My cousin also sets up websites with Cloudflare for protection from bad actors.
128g Ram on the Linux box and runs RAID on 10 tb. It's a custom built machine about a year old and dual boots on Mint or Win10.

Update: Found out it was a programme on the computer called Cortex XDR which my cousin was testing on my machine - he's a computer geek and IT person and likes to tweak stuff like that. Cortex is a proggy that protects a computer from bad-actors and somehow caused Cloudflare to flare up here. This was after checking all the browsers, plug-ins, etc. He added Cloudflare to Cortex's hile list and no issues now.

Update: Found out it was a programme on the computer called Cortex XDR which my cousin was testing on my machine - he's a computer geek and IT person and likes to tweak stuff like that. Cortex is a proggy that protects a computer from bad-actors and somehow caused Cloudflare to flare up here. This was after checking all the browsers, plug-ins, etc. He added Cloudflare to Cortex's hile list and no issues now.
So, just curious; why are you letting your cousin install what amounts to a 'net nanny' on your machine? Does he think you can't be trusted online?

So, just curious; why are you letting your cousin install what amounts to a 'net nanny' on your machine? Does he think you can't be trusted online?
My parents made a similar mistake a few years ago. I visited them and they explained their "friend who knows computers" told them he could add some stuff to their PC to make it work better, and ever since, they had trouble getting on the internet. I noticed a bunch of new icons on their desktop and I'm still not sure what the guy did or what he installed, but he had their computer so locked down that they couldn't even access the web or check their e-mail. They really only use their computer for e-mail and Word, and they save all their files to 1 specific folder so I backed that up, wiped the thing and started over with all new installations. I then (somewhat angrily) told them that I'd spent 2 days of what was supposed to be my vacation fixing this guy's screwup. If they ever let their "friend who knows computers" touch their equipment again, don't call me because they've now been bitten by him once and hopefully learned to never let him touch their stuff.

I then had to chat with them further as my dad had been making a big deal about identity theft and went so far as to call his insurance agent and get a rider on their policy to protect them against it - yet, if you went to the room where their computer was located, they had Post-it notes hanging everywhere that clearly listed out all their user names and passwords where anyone, including this "friend who knows computers" could easily see and access them. Kind of defeats the idea of having insurance against ID theft when you hand potential bad actors all your login information on a platter.

Last edited:
I then had to chat with them further as my dad had been making a big deal about identity theft and went so far as to call his insurance agent and get a rider on their policy to protect them against it - yet, if you went to the room where their computer was located, they had Post-it notes hanging everywhere that clearly listed out all their user names and passwords where anyone, including this "friend who knows computers" could easily see and access them. Kind of defeats the idea of having insurance against ID theft when you hand potential bad actors all your login information on a platter.
Heh, that's such a dad's way of thinking...
When my father was still around, I set up RDP access where I could just remote into his machine from home and fix what he broke earlier in the day. I tried some net nanny-like software first, but all that did was create more frustration with him than it actually fixed.

When my father was still around, I set up RDP access where I could just remote into his machine from home and fix what he broke earlier in the day. I tried some net nanny-like software first, but all that did was create more frustration with him than it actually fixed.
Another favorite: After his computer started acting funny and it was apparent that someone may have accessed his address book, yet he insisted that he NEVER clicks on anything he doesn't fully understand and never opens any files unless he knows they're legit.... Toward the end of that same conversation he said "Oh, by the way, what was that thing you sent me about "Oprah's Weight Loss Secrets"? Me: "What?" Him: Yeah, I got an e-mail from you with an attachment, something about Oprah's Weight Loss Secrets. Your mother's computer's antivirus wouldn't let me open it on her machine, but I finally worked around that and found a way to get it open on mine".

So - that explains why his computer was acting funny and yes, he may have given a bad actor access to his address book. Bless.

Another favorite: After his computer started acting funny and it was apparent that someone may have accessed his address book, yet he insisted that he NEVER clicks on anything he doesn't fully understand and never opens any files unless he knows they're legit.... Toward the end of that same conversation he said "Oh, by the way, what was that thing you sent me about "Oprah's Weight Loss Secrets"? Me: "What?" Him: Yeah, I got an e-mail from you with an attachment, something about Oprah's Weight Loss Secrets. Your mother's computer's antivirus wouldn't let me open it on her machine, but I finally worked around that and found a way to get it open on mine".

So - that explains why his computer was acting funny and yes, he may have given a bad actor access to his address book. Bless.
A lot of times those spam emails automatically access the contacts list when they're opened. I accidentally opened one once, and later on my doctor asked me why I sent them an email about musical instruments. I said it was because paying their bill blows.

I was helping my cousin use my machine as a test bed since his IT firm uses Cortex for client computers in office settings. The version on my machine was a whole new version and I was helping look for bugs. I can engage or disengage the program at will when testing and after I was done one night, I had a senior moment and forgot to PK it before visiting some sites.

One thing learned is it goes ape-**** hitting sites using CloudFlare which the older version of Cortex didn't have issue. He reported that to their devs at Palo Alto Networks who make that proggy. His IT company does pay me a buck 3.98 for testing stuff.

When my dad was in his decline into dementia, the computer was a big problem for a while. He still remembered enough to get on it and look at his email and news sites, but he was also a prime target for scammers.

It was actually a little bit of a relief when he slipped enough that he didn't remember how to get on it and didn't seem to care anymore. The machine is still sitting in his basement but really needs to get hauled off to electronics recycling at some point soon.

Back
Top Bottom