• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Raycom KHNL, KGMB and KFVE to eliminate Sports segments

http://westhawaiitoday.com/sports/local-sports/hnn-eliminates-sports-segment-newscasts

Hawaii News Now will no longer have a daily sports segment on its newscasts.

HNN general manager Rick Blangiardi said the station instead will focus on expanding its sports coverage on digital platforms, such as its web site and social media.

“We’re not backing off of sports,” Blangiardi said of Hawaii News Now, which is shown on KGMB and KHNL. “We’re going to deliver sports differently in what makes more sense.”

The past several weeks, HNN changed its sports presentation on newscasts, going with more feature stories and fewer highlights. Some sports segments had only one story. On some nights, the sports segment would run only in the 10 p.m. newscasts. Blangiardi said the new approach will be to put the sports reports on digital platforms immediately while allowing the bigger stories to be included in the newscasts.

“We’ll treat sports stories as we do other stories, and they’ll be woven into the fabric of our newscasts,” Blangiardi said. “Whether or not they’re in the A block (first series of stories) or the B block, that remains to be seen on the importance of the story. Meanwile, we’ll be very fresh, very covered, very current in serving up our digital platform in building up the whole sports thing.”

Blangiardi said sports reporter/anchor Taryn Hatcher will have a significant role in the digital projects, which will include videos. Blangiardi said he plans to hire producers to also work on the digital side. Sports anchor/reporter Collin Harmon is no longer with the station.

Blangiardi said the move is aligned with the way consumers receive their news.

“Let’s face it, at 10 o’clock at night, nobody’s waiting around for 10:25 to learn about scores that happened hours and hours ago,” Blangiardi said. “What people are interested in is right now. They go to digital places, and that’s where we’re going to be. … We’re going to go where they live. We’re going to build that up. We’re going to be even more live with sports (updates) because that’s what the appetite has become. That means the transition (to digital) from the traditional end-of-newscast reports.”

Blangiardi said the “Nick Rolovich Show” will return for a second season in the fall. Rolovich, the UH head football coach, and Kanoa Leahey will serve as co-hosts of the weekly show. Blangiardi also said other local sports programming will be added.

Not surprising though given that Hawaii does not have a major league team though and that most major league teams on the mainland already finished their games by the time the evening newscasts in Hawaii already started.

Will this change during college football season, or is U. of Hawaii football not a consuming interest for Hawaiians in the way the football teams of the big state universities dominate sports interest in other states? I don't get the excuse that "nobody's waiting around ... to learn about scores." The scores are not what I watch a late-news sports segment for. I watch for interviews, reaction and other new development related to the games I watched hours ago. Making the entire sports portion of the newscast online-only diminishes the over-the-air/cable product. Why not throw all the fluff about carnivals and concerts and 5K walks to raise money for disease research online? Everyone already knows what went on at THOSE events, too.

If one of these stations were local to me, I'd be switching my regular channel for nightly news.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom